Attakwas 2012

Dryland

Not fun, but yes an awesome course with great water tables and organization :thumbup:

Are you going to be rehydrating on stans again?

I remember your race report after completing on a rigid single speed - that was hardcore!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you ows compare the full Attakwas with K2C?

Karoo2Coast - About 1800m ascent - 94 km took me just over 5 hours to do and felt like a champ afterwards (took it easy)

Attakwas - About 2500 ascent - 128 km took me just under 9 hours to do this year and was completely broken afterwards (ek het klippe gek@k van km 15 tot km 110)

But I'm going back! My wife may just have me declared insame / retarded / both for doing it for a 4th time.

Hard, yes, blah, blah, blah, is it fun though? Is the course awesome?

First half is fun, the second half is a slog and not particularly fun at all. It's all ridable, and there is some nice technical stuff up to the burger stop.

Water points are well equipped, and I have vowed in future to make better used of them.

Did the 2010 Attakwas as prep for the EPic. Spent fricken 9.5 hours on my bike that day to cover the 135km. Was harder than anything the EPic could dish up.

Ha,Ha Jou geheue laat jou so bietjie in die steek, jy het net oor die 10 uur gery....

10:05:12

How would you ows compare the full Attakwas with K2C?

Double your K2C time...that should give you an idea

going for my 5th one!

Are you going to be rehydrating on stans again?

I remember your race report after completing on a rigid single speed - that was hardcore!!

:lol: :lol:

If I go again I am taking 2l. of tyre sealant with me.

Ok, after reading everybodys posts, I am in two minds about this race... I want to do it so badly, but will I be fit enough in 10 weeks time?? I did the Transbaviaans in August and then after that I didn't do much, just a 2-3 hours a week... (I am very furious with myself for doing that and not keeping my so called "fittnes") Anyway, you guys who have done the Atta - what do you think, will I be able to do it when I stick to a heavy training program or not?? And does anybody have a program like that I can use? Thanks all! And good luck!

Ok, after reading everybodys posts, I am in two minds about this race... I want to do it so badly, but will I be fit enough in 10 weeks time?? I did the Transbaviaans in August and then after that I didn't do much, just a 2-3 hours a week... (I am very furious with myself for doing that and not keeping my so called "fittnes") Anyway, you guys who have done the Atta - what do you think, will I be able to do it when I stick to a heavy training program or not?? And does anybody have a program like that I can use? Thanks all! And good luck!

If you've done this year's Trans Bav, you've got it mentally. 10 weeks is ample time. Ride 4 x a week (2 x 2 hours in the week and 2 x 4 hours over the weekend) at about 70% intensity, take the week between Christmas and New Years off and come back for a final hard week before resting until the race.

• 2 weeks later...

Entry in :clap:

Entry in :thumbdown: becoming nervous but will give focus to December training

Just to give you an idea of what Attakwas is like - my Baviaans time from this year was only 3h15 slower than this year's Attakwas. Be prepared for a long day out, and ride it with the same Baviaans mentality - waterpoint to waterpoint, and you'll be fine.

This route is apparently a bit shorter than the 2010 route. Does anyone know which section they cut out?

This route is apparently a bit shorter than the 2010 route. Does anyone know which section they cut out?

Unless they cut the Kloof out , it won't make life any easier.