Attakwas 2012

Dryland

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Attakwas is no longer a MTN National Series event (http://www.advendurance.com/)

Does this mean that:

1. It is no longer a UCI event?

2. The top guys/gals will give it a miss to save their legs?

It probably means that seeding will work a bit better. Last year having the ladies start before the Sub Vets, Vets and unseeded riders made life a little more challenging at the start.

I will also be allowed to use my GoPro camera. At Graveltravel I was asked to remove my camera as UCI rules determine that no video cameras are allowed on the route.

Expect the top Epic teams to use the race as a long run for their Epic preperations. 700 riders will mean that the first half of the race is going to involve some porting, unless you are in the first or second batch.

Looks like the Attakwas is no longer a MTN National Series event (http://www.advendurance.com/)

Does this mean that:

1. It is no longer a UCI event?

2. The top guys/gals will give it a miss to save their legs?

So why no more MTN event? Become too easy?? :P

So why no more MTN event? Become too easy?? :P

They say the problem is that there is not shorter marathon length option, which doesn't really complement the rest of the series

They say the problem is that there is not shorter marathon length option, which doesn't really complement the rest of the series

Jip I believe the lack of a marathon distance is the main reason why it was pulled from the calendar.

You should be fine mate :thumbup:

Dangle I saw you on the tv during the highlights of the 94.7. I take it you will be going for a single speed, rigid silver medal :o Respect !!!

Dangle I saw you on the tv during the highlights of the 94.7. I take it you will be going for a single speed, rigid silver medal :o Respect !!!

Hi bud, ja I was having a fun with some of the pro's :)

I am pretty beaten up at the moment and haven't entered for Atta yet, but yes, I would love to get back there with my rigid SS.

Have taken the plunge and have entered for the first time. I am 43 and no racing snake and just want to finish the event within the cutoff time. Would you recommend riding a 26" full suspension (Morewood Zula) or a 29er hardtail. There is a weight advantage with the 29er as well as it having a more comfortable riding position, but the terrain seems to suit the full suspension bike. I have ridden the 29er for between 8 and 10 hrs in 4 previous races, but never the Zula for more than 4 hrs. For me its not as relaxed as the 29er, but much more forgiving on the lower back.

Thanks

Siggie

Go for the 29er hardtail. While you might enjoy the Zula on some of the descents, I think the 29er will be of more benefit in the 2nd half of the race. Remember to stop and enjoy the burgers, doughnuts and other treats.