Aftermarket frames

29" MAN

:lol: - I have to chuckle, just because there's no branding or as Andre says "branding we know" everyone jumps on the "its rubbish" bandwagon.

I wonder on what testing you base this assumption.?

A photo means little if anything, I have seen pics of well known brands looking as bad or worse, what can I deduce from that? Nothing.!

Unless you have taken the frame to a laboratory and had the tensile strength of the material tested and verified, and then compared it to a variety of tabulated strengths of "brands" your "deduction the material lacks a serious element of strength" is simply your opinion, it has no basis in fact.

LIke these? From the crash at Amashova 2009...

Granted they were in a crash at higher speeds, the frame is still considered a premium brand of high quality :unsure: or is it?

Amashova Crash thread

20091018_112627_IMG_0198.JPG

20091018_112650_IMG_0199.JPG

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must agree....GOEDKOOP Made in China IS DUURKOOP.

Besides, carbon belongs on F1 cars or jet liners, not MTB's :D

Ive been riding this frame for some time already.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It boils down to in which position you crashed

post-24589-0-29515500-1320735783.jpg

Anybody can make even an aluminium frame look like that if you don't know how to ride.

So 29"Man, Even if you had a Tungsten bike and you land front wheel first off a bridge, It's going to

break, Just glad it's not one of mine. By the way did you drop your lipstick in the fall ??

Nice. blink.gif

I have a 26" scott full sus, which I only race with. Paid a lot of money for it, so do not want to bash it unnecessary

So I built up a 26" hardtail with a chinese carbon frame. Love the bike, never had a hassle.

Thinking of building up a 29er as well, but have accepted that the frame is basically a consumable, if it breaks, too bad, buy a new one.

Problem is if you have an epic fail like the frame in picture, you are likely too end up pretty banged up.

I think that we forget that the people who does the layup of the frame for the no-name frames is more than likely the SAME people who does it for the branded frames.

The use the same moulds and layup....just "trim" the mould a bit to make if look different.

We also forget that carbon has strength in a certain direction when it comes to layup...and this might have just been an hit in the direction where the carbon was not happy at all.

BTW I have seen more than one branded frame look worse than this....so it ALL depends on the impact and the forces(Directional) on the frame. Think of any joint on a human, it will happily bend one way but break if with little force if you try and bend it any other way.

BTW, why DOES it matter who assembled it?

Edited by Niner

The people who don't deal with these companies, won't know.

To them the truth is what the pimple face techie told them in the bike work shop.

I have to laugh!!

The made in the east/china = bad quality is in many (not all!) instances a carefully crafted myth by suppliers of over priced products. If you are selling something with a production cost of R 3 000 and choose to retail it at R 30 000, it becomes VERY difficult to justify your price so the temptation to market by “knocking” your cheaper opposition is very tempting, especially in a recession.

This myth is then fuelled even further by posts such as these ……

History simply repeats itself – in the sixties and seventies everything from the East was regarded as “jap scrap” and we were told that they could invent nothing and could only make replicas and fakes of so-called superior European designs and products; today Japanese vehicles, sound systems, cameras etc. are the most sought after products in the World – even in the big consumer market in the USA, a Lexus outranks almost all German car makers in the desirability stakes.

Just look at how sought after Hyundai as Korean car has become in the SA Market – when it entered the SA market in the 90’s and car manufacturers started losing large chunks of market share, every car manufacturer and their dealers went out of their way to tell everybody what rubbish Hyundai made ………. Now less than 20 year later most car dealers pay above retail prices to get their hands on Hyundai Tucson’s.

And, no, I don’t have a Chinese no name brand frame.

Probike is mentioned by the OP - does anyone know where their old brand Raleigh & new brands Axis & Scott are manufactured ?

Afternoon all hubbers

Not to contradict myself but this is solely my own opinion and do it without the intent to bad mouth any supplier. I have been using aftermarket frames we so often see available on the hub for the past two years and was very pleased up untill a recent experience. Recently Brandon Els (Rep for Probike) posted a article on twitter about the the differance between a 5K aftermarket frame and a 15K branded frame, his message was quite clear higliting the diffirance in strength and various technology inputs going into the make of the frame, I read this article only days before actually breaking my 29er frame that I had bought aftermarket only 2 months ago. The frame broke in 6 diffirent places after my front wheel washed out on a slippery brige.to give you an idea, I was riding at 30km/h when it happened, didn't tear my bib, shirt, didnt't crack my helmet or any other EC90 komponentry I have on my bike. All I am really trying to say is that I believe even though these frames are at the right price, a serious element of strenght has been overlooked and if you don't believe me see the attached picture.

I have seen many broken carbon frames and parts from high speed crashes but none looked like this.What did the frame hit to break it like that?

I have seen these cheap frames raced at road races,mtb races and CX races and they hold up very well.

Now due to your lack of skill,suddenly all no name carbon frames are rubish.I guess you were happy with the frame untill the crash?

I also know many guys/girls who ride no name brands and all are very happy.I had one a few years back and i was very happy with it.

Are you sure Brandon Els is a rep at Probike?

Are you sure Brandon Els is a rep at Probike?

No, he's not a rep, i heard he was a bike mechanic there ;)

If you go to the roadbikereview forums they have a few threads going about chinese import frames. Like with anything, you have to do you homework and get to know who the reputable sellers are. No one is saying that all Chinese frames are crap, but there are some who are better than others.

Just because it looks like a Pinarello doesn't mean it was made with the same care, and just because moulds are used it doesn't mean you pop the carbon in and out comes a finished product.

There is still a lot of manual labour involved and many different grades of material that can be used, so just do some research on the factory before you go down this road.