Cycle Lab - Bad customer service

Mr SingleTrack

Assuming there is motive behind this rant, what would you think the NOOB has to gain? Who do you work for NOOB? Dunkeld? I'm sure not. What difference does being a new member have on the facts presented by the OP anyway?

I'd say R70 000 to R80 000 buys him a ticket to good service, or a rant at the very least. Damn, window shopping should come with good service too.

What an @SS, so because he spends R70k and I spend R4 k, he gets better treatment than I do. So he is one of the few that drive around in a BIG 4X4 and expects every one to get out of his way, because he is in a hurry.

HOGWASH.. You walk into the shop and wait your turn.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people allways have to say what they spend? How about just saying "I spend what I believe a considerable amount"

As far as I now they actually do stretch, that is why you can buy pre-streched cables so that you dont end up with this problem.

Then on the other hand Mr Single Track it is not rocket science adjusting a gear cable, you must have just done it yourself in the first place.

Awesome! Now I know what to do with my old cables...

...sell them on the hub as "pre-stretched" :lol:

Why do people allways have to say what they spend?

You want to know what I think? (and it doesn't rhyme with koos ;) )

i think urgent repairs should cost you more money than normal repairs,but customer service should be free.if however there was no one to help the customer right there and then no amount of money should change that.good manners however does not cost a cent.my grandmother always said you are alowed to say no,but always say no thank you.

Two side to every story, I find it hard to believe that it played out the way he described, the labrats are not unreasonable.

He has now chosen to go public with this issue before trying to resolve it with Andrew and now they must jump because he is badmouthing them on a public platform. Nee my maat...dit werk nie so nie :thumbdown:

So they do "stretch". Enough that 3 clicks in the right direction will take up this "bedding down"?

What do you say about a new cable in old housing? Still housing bedding in?

Three clicks on a derailleur is only around 3-4mm of actual cable pull. Less than 1% of the length of a 1.5m cable. A 0.5mm change in radius in a large cable loop during bedding down would easily produce this much change in length,

I'd say new cable in old is not bedding in, but the cable actually moving within the housing. 1.8mm ID housing worn to 2mm ID or more gives 0.2mm of play. Easily enough to produce 3-4mm of change in effective length. This is also highly variable over time - one of the reasons why it's better to replace housings and cables together.

You accommodate the bedding down while installing the new cable by shifting into the lowest gear with the shift (so that the shift mechanism is resting on the stops, rather than the ratchet), then pulling on the cable to manually shift to the highest gear (so the derailleur is pulling against its limit screws). You then pull hard on the cable to stress it and bed it down. Then take up the slack by undoing the cable pinch bolt on the derailleur and tightening the cable. Repeat a couple of times.

If you don't do the pre-stressing step, all the slack comes out while you're riding and shifting, resulting in a return trip to the shop to reset the gears.

What an @SS, so because he spends R70k and I spend R4 k, he gets better treatment than I do. So he is one of the few that drive around in a BIG 4X4 and expects every one to get out of his way, because he is in a hurry.

I'm not sure I read the same post as you. Did he interrupt someone?

A very similar thing has has happened to me too and fortunately the shop I went to for help was understanding of my pressures. I am a regular there and it is no problem for me to drive from Tokai to Town for something easily solved a lot closer to home.

PS, I also mentioned the even browsing should receive the same respect. Where do you get fat 4x4's from.. whoa!

Im with edman. its a common mistake and the person who sold you the bike should have explained that to you, hence why your first service after buying a bike is most og=f the time for free. ben could have helped you himself and pocketed the cash IMO, but then again we dont know the full story there..

Three clicks on a derailleur is only around 3-4mm of actual cable pull. Less than 1% of the length of a 1.5m cable. A 0.5mm change in radius in a large cable loop during bedding down would easily produce this much change in length,

I'd say new cable in old is not bedding in, but the cable actually moving within the housing. 1.8mm ID housing worn to 2mm ID or more gives 0.2mm of play. Easily enough to produce 3-4mm of change in effective length. This is also highly variable over time - one of the reasons why it's better to replace housings and cables together.

You accommodate the bedding down while installing the new cable by shifting into the lowest gear with the shift (so that the shift mechanism is resting on the stops, rather than the ratchet), then pulling on the cable to manually shift to the highest gear (so the derailleur is pulling against its limit screws). You then pull hard on the cable to stress it and bed it down. Then take up the slack by undoing the cable pinch bolt on the derailleur and tightening the cable. Repeat a couple of times.

If you don't do the pre-stressing step, all the slack comes out while you're riding and shifting, resulting in a return trip to the shop to reset the gears.

This is not possible with internal cables

I'm not sure I read the same post as you. Did he interrupt someone?

A very similar thing has has happened to me too and fortunately the shop I went to for help was understanding of my pressures. I am a regular there and it is no problem for me to drive from Tokai to Town for something easily solved a lot closer to home.

PS, I also mentioned the even browsing should receive the same respect. Where do you get fat 4x4's from.. whoa!

Was a matter of speaking, I assumed ( yes I know it is wrong) but I am do not think I am far out. But if you start throwing figures around, you most probably do it with everything you own.. trying to tell people how rich you are, pisses people off, I am sure he went in a rant and rave about how much he has spent at the Lab and expected all and asunder to drop EVERYTHING they were busy with and run to satisfy lord tantrum..

Being a koos, it seems is par for the course

I just think he stated what everybody on here always say about good service. If you spend alot of money at a shop, you build a reputation/connection and the people jump to your beck and call. So what's the point to try and build a relationship with a shop if they still not come to the party.

As far as I now they actually do stretch, that is why you can buy pre-streched cables so that you dont end up with this problem.

It's called structural stretch or permanent stretch. It occurs when the individual strands move over each other when the load is first applied. For wire rope with light loads, it's roughly 0.25% of length, so I suppose it could actually affect shifting - I'll admit I'm wrong there.

It would also be eliminated by proper pre-stressing of the cable system during installation.

...or buy SRAM.wink.gif