Cricket......

E1A104

15 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

What you're missing here is that QdK took the decision not to play, not the other way around. He might have forced their hand in making it, but he was not alone. He could have ignored it.

While I never thought QdK was replaceable, I don't think it's as bad as you say. We have 3 keepers in the squad, all of them top quality. Dropping QdK for Reeza actually worked out ok yesterday. Not having Faf (and Chris morris) is probably a much bigger issue really.

From a tournament perspective, I agree, the squad is fine with or without Quinny there.

I just think, form a reputational standpoint, it would be idiotic from CSA to prove a point by throwing a guy out of the squad without giving him a platform to explain why he is not comfortable with the directive publicly.

He might have a valid argument, something like: "this is all for show and almost nobody here has actively done anything to break down systemic racism. The gesture rings hollow to me without following through with real actions".

That would actually be a great "win" for the movement, to move away from symbolic gestures to some real action from high-profile people like sportsmen/women.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucks that cricket only seems to be in the news about the crisis after crisis.

they klapped a really good team yesterday.

32 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

From a tournament perspective, I agree, the squad is fine with or without Quinny there.

I just think, form a reputational standpoint, it would be idiotic from CSA to prove a point by throwing a guy out of the squad without giving him a platform to explain why he is not comfortable with the directive publicly.

He might have a valid argument, something like: "this is all for show and almost nobody here has actively done anything to break down systemic racism. The gesture rings hollow to me without following through with real actions".

That would actually be a great "win" for the movement, to move away from symbolic gestures to some real action from high-profile people like sportsmen/women.

agree on that. but he has had the opportunity to do that already and didn't take it, He was the captain during this when it started even.

FYI, his wife is reportedly pregnant, maybe he is just gatvol of bubbles and wants to go home. there is a very good chance that he becomes a T20 free agent, and this is just hurrying that along.

I wonder if anyone would sh!t their panties if a player walks on to the field and stands wearing vellies and a farmer's hat in solidarity with all the murdered farmers?

This whole episode has f'all to do with racism, but has everything to do with the global left leaning woke BS.

I refuse to kneel.

QdK has unfortunately not made a statement. I'm sure he will at some stage, but in the interim this has given free reign to speculation. People assume the worst.

His reputation has suffered a lot of damage. Time will tell whether he works in the industry again.

Edited by Dusty

4 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

A Key excerpt for me from his statement:

"I think it would of been better for everyone concerned if we had sorted this out before the tournament started.

Then we could have focused on our job, to win cricket matches for our country.

There always seems to be a drama when we go to World Cups.

That isn't fair."

It is a one-liner within the statement, but at least they concede that they stuffed up the timing on this.

https://cricket.co.za/2021/10/28/cricket-south-africa-welcomes-developments-regarding-taking-the-knee/

Posted at 08:44h in CSA News, Proteas - Men by admin@csa
JOHANNESBURG: Last night, the Cricket South Africa Board Chair and two directors met with the men’s Proteas team and management to discuss the Board’s directive regarding “taking the knee”. The Board representatives clarified the Board position and engaged with the issues raised by the players. Following the meeting, the Proteas men’s team agreed to align and unify in taking the knee for the remaining fixtures of the World Cup campaign. CSA has also noted the statement issued by Quinton de Kock in which he too has agreed to take the knee and issued an apology.

Cricket South Africa welcomes all of these developments. They confirm Cricket South Africa’s commitment to non-racism. Taking a united stance against racism is a moral issue, not a political issue. The CSA Board regrets that the timing of its directive earlier this week may have been unsettling for the players in the lead-up to the match against the West Indies.

The CSA is fully supportive of the Protea Men’s team and its captain Temba Bavuma and looks forward to continued successes by the Proteas at the World Cup.

ENDS

Issued by: Cricket South Africa – Corporate Communications

I cannot help feeling that Quiton is going to come out of this looking like minced meat whether he is right or not, whether the board of CSA is wrong or not. In the bigger sceme of things, the grass gets trampled when the elephant bulls fight. 

Edited by DJR

3 hours ago, Vetplant said:

A Key excerpt for me from his statement:

"I think it would of been better for everyone concerned if we had sorted this out before the tournament started.

Then we could have focused on our job, to win cricket matches for our country.

There always seems to be a drama when we go to World Cups.

That isn't fair."

I don't blame CSA for this one. Also the current CSA board can't be burdened with the k#k they have had to pick off the floor.

They have been taken to culture camps, had team discussions and time to work this out by themselves. instead we ended up with this, all so avoidable.

He recognised that he has dominated the cricket conversation in the last 48 hours, although he said that was unintentional. "I never ever wanted to make this a Quinton issue" de Kock's statement read. "I understand the importance of standing against racism, and I also understand the responsibility of us as players to set an example. If me taking a knee helps to educate others, and makes the lives of others better, I am more than happy to do so."

De Kock was the only player in the South African squad who had previously chosen not to make any gesture in support of antiracism and said that that was because he "didn't understand why I had to prove it (his feelings on antiracism) with a gesture, when I live and learn and love people from all walks of life every day," he said.

at the time, Darren Sammy sums it up perfectly.

The pair referenced de Kock's absence before Sammy expressed his disbelief at those who struggled to support antiracism. "Sometimes I don't understand why is it so difficult to support this movement if you understand what it stands for. That's just my opinion because of what my kind have been through. There are a lot of issues affecting the world, but I don't understand why it's so difficult."

What I wonder about is how the Rugby administrators can get it so right and the Cricket administrators cannot?

Look, we had Camp Staaldraad in die 2000s, so the rugby administrators can stuff it up when they want to. But during World Cups, they seem able to leave the team alone to do what they need to.

Why is it, that time after time there seems to be some meddling from the "Board" or from Politicians during Cricket World Cups. Let the players get on with it in peace.

Let's hope the dust settles quickly on this one and that we can finally get some lucky breaks within matches at the WC.

6 minutes ago, DJR said:

I cannot help feeling that Quiton is going to come out of this looking like minced meat whether he is right or not, whether the board of CSA is wrong or not. In the bigger sceme of things, the grass gets trampled when the elephant bulls fight. 

Well he made the bed so has to sleep in it. I don;t understand why he would sit on a bus for 3 hours and make the decision not to play. This is an excellent piece on him, with this quote that gets repeated

De Kock has not read Gardner's theory. "Me and books don't get along," he admits. But the philosophy resonates with him. "I didn't need school or university to get where I am today. We joke in the dressing room that I might not have graduated from high school but I have a master's degree in cricket."

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1177784

what i did learn from this (very avoidable) episode is that Temba has got the moxie to be a top leader in a difficult setup like the Prooteas. It seems like he was given the job in a bid to emulate the Kolisi effect that the Springboks got. He took the press conference with the obvious verbal hand grenades being thrown at him like a total master

https://www.espncricinfo.com/video/t20-world-cup-wi-vs-sa-temba-bavuma-quinton-is-an-adult-we-will-respect-his-decisions-1285425?'t='01m00s

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

What I wonder about is how the Rugby administrators can get it so right and the Cricket administrators cannot?

Look, we had Camp Staaldraad in die 2000s, so the rugby administrators can stuff it up when they want to. But during World Cups, they seem able to leave the team alone to do what they need to.

Why is it, that time after time there seems to be some meddling from the "Board" or from Politicians during Cricket World Cups. Let the players get on with it in peace.

Let's hope the dust settles quickly on this one and that we can finally get some lucky breaks within matches at the WC.

If you give an idiot the right platform, he/they will make all the noise they can. A World Cup is the right platform and CSA knows that. The board keeps chopping and changing but the same people seem to stay involved because the policies dont seem to change. Im not privy to inside info but I look at the actions of the board and that speaks volumes. Being white in this day and age automatically disqualifies you of having any opinion other than what the mainstream is trying to force down your throat. 

YES, it seems like QdK could/should have dealt with the current issue a hellava lot better, specially since the team have purportedly been having discussions around the issue for a while. 

I hate talking about race issues because we have been a democracy for a long time and that time could/should have been used a whole lot better if the right people with the right motivation were given the appropriate decision making powers. This applies all the way to the top of government. 

I dont know, like someone said in that thread about the idiot walking in front of the cyclist right at the finish line, surely in 30 years time we will look back and say WTF was going on in 2021. 

In 1995 we saw the first children of colour introduced into our high school. You had to unlearn the f-up teachings of conservative parenthood or your world turned to sh-t pretty quickly. This is 26 years ago. 

A lot of us here played club sport over the years and that was always the great leveller, adapt or die.

This is just so disappointing. We are a strong sporting nation with talent across the entire spectrum. Get it right FFS, this is sport, it should bring us closer together, not create bigger divisions. 

3 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

If you give an idiot the right platform, he/they will make all the noise they can. A World Cup is the right platform and CSA knows that. The board keeps chopping and changing but the same people seem to stay involved because the policies dont seem to change. Im not privy to inside info but I look at the actions of the board and that speaks volumes. Being white in this day and age automatically disqualifies you of having any opinion other than what the mainstream is trying to force down your throat. 

YES, it seems like QdK could/should have dealt with the current issue a hellava lot better, specially since the team have purportedly been having discussions around the issue for a while. 

I hate talking about race issues because we have been a democracy for a long time and that time could/should have been used a whole lot better if the right people with the right motivation were given the appropriate decision making powers. This applies all the way to the top of government. 

I dont know, like someone said in that thread about the idiot walking in front of the cyclist right at the finish line, surely in 30 years time we will look back and say WTF was going on in 2021. 

In 1995 we saw the first children of colour introduced into our high school. You had to unlearn the f-up teachings of conservative parenthood or your world turned to sh-t pretty quickly. This is 26 years ago. 

A lot of us here played club sport over the years and that was always the great leveller, adapt or die.

This is just so disappointing. We are a strong sporting nation with talent across the entire spectrum. Get it right FFS, this is sport, it should bring us closer together, not create bigger divisions. 

When you mix sport and politics this happens.