Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very disappointed with that. It shows lack of trust in the lower order but so many times we turn to them to force a draw. now we need them to force a win and the powers they be didn't want it. anyway..It was a beautiful draw..but it could have been a legendary win

gots to agree that was poor, not backing yourself to get that few runs without losing a wicket or two!

disapointing to see that No.1 team play so negative after they did they unthinkable of pulling themselves up again, lack that killer instinct? What would gary have done?

hats off to faf and AB tho :thumbup: top class innings!

what a test match. (more reason to be anti the whole T20 and IPL BS)

gots to agree that was poor, not backing yourself to get that few runs without losing a wicket or two!

disapointing to see that No.1 team play so negative after they did they unthinkable of pulling themselves up again, lack that killer instinct? What would gary have done?

hats off to faf and AB tho :thumbup: top class innings!

what a test match. (more reason to be anti the whole T20 and IPL BS)

You could see there was a lot of disagreement about the plan, both on the field and in the box. I would have loved us to go down guns blazing but I think all will be forgiven if we win the next test and secure a series victory over India.

Unfortunately, with that finish, it's easy to forget what an amazing fight it was just to secure a draw.

All the commentators have spoken about a huge missed opportunity...

With hindsight, I can see that risking one more wicket and going for glory would've been best.

Yeah, a defensive mindset was definitely in charge.

Also mental and physical exhaustion must've played a role in a hot Jozi.

Edited by ' Dale

Glad it's not just me who was disappointed in how it ended up. Would love to know who actually made the call to watch the penultimate 2 overs sail past. Don't think it was Dale or Vern!

However if you had offered us a draw yesterday when Hash went, every single one of us would have taken it and run.

Hats off to AB and Faf though. Our T20 and 50 over captains playing orthodox percentage courageous skillfull cricket. Maybe Faf is the long term no 4 after Jakes?

Test cricket at it''s best. if you don't agree go back to T20. u don't just chuck your wicket away in a test or lose a test if you can save it. and that's what we did when Morne went off with an injury. we played to save the test not win it, that we got so close to winning it is a testimony to our fighting spirit. Faf was dead on his feet, if you expected our tail to win it then you don't understand test cricket. that Kepler mumbled something about letting a win slip thru our fingers is just sour grapes because it is well documented he isn't the current Protea's biggest fan.

roll on the apologists...

just throw their wickets away. u make it sound like a forgone conclusion. What utter rubbish and negative mentality!

just dont forget we chased 438 under way more trying circumstances. Today, the protea's stole a stalemate from the jaws of victory. Really weak sauce.

Edited by Capricorn

I agree that we would've loved a draw a few days ago, I even thought of a rain dance.... But to play so well that you are in a position to win with one session to go after losing 4 days, and them play our for a draw doesn't sit comfortably with me, I wonder if the Aussies would've done the same ..

If a result is possible, then yes

Number of balls not extended

That's what I recall

No. The only rule is 15 overs have to be bowled when the last hour of a test match starts, weather and light permitting off course. It has nothing to do with the possibility of a result. The 30 minute extra rule only comes in to play if their is a likelihood that the game will end within the next 30 minutes, like one team needing 20 runs or 1 or 2 wickets. The rule was brought in to stop the teams returning for another day or session for 10 or 20 runs to be scored or for 1 wicket to fall. The 30 minute extra rule is not applicable on the final session as could be seen today, once the final ball of the last hour's 15 overs have been bowled the game was over, no captain could claim an extra half an hour.