Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont ever underestimate that 59 that Mcallum made in the first 5 odd overs...that took all the pressure off for elliot to be able to build himself an innings. There is not much difference between elliots innings and AB's or Faf's...We made some silly mistakes that all added up in the end.

I hear you. But we losing loads of talent to other countrys. We took waay too many passengers to the world cup. phangiso, Parnell etc. They got a nice free holiday. 

Our quick bowlers Dale and Vern did not perform to their potential this whole tournament, and that is where our problems are currently at.  We cannot say we have a WC team until that is sorted out.  I thought Morne, Imran and Kyle stepped up and gave their all.  Maybe it is time for Dale to go on a holiday.  Vern is simply not a good limited overs bowler, and should stick to the test squad.

Edited by Moridin

Our quick bowlers Dale and Vern did not perform to their potential this whole tournament, and that is where are problems are currently at.  We cannot say we have a WC team until that is sorted out.  I thought Morne, Imran and Kyle stepped up and gave their all.  Maybe it is time for Dale to go on a holiday.  Vern is simply not a good limited overs bowler, and should stick to the test squad.

Abbott should have played. Not Vern!!

Our quick bowlers Dale and Vern did not perform to their potential this whole tournament, and that is where are problems are currently at.  We cannot say we have a WC team until that is sorted out.  I thought Morne, Imran and Kyle stepped up and gave their all.  Maybe it is time for Dale to go on a holiday.  Vern is simply not a good limited overs bowler, and should stick to the test squad.

all that said about the bowlers I think Imran wins bowler of thew tournament hands down

Doesn't feel like a choke cos you could see the heart that they put into their efforts! That's encouraging to see from a team that go into a tournament with as much pressure as they do!

But the missed chances added together are hard to accept. They had more than 4 opportunities and only had to take 1 of them to really change the swing of events at the time! None unfortunately went the SA way...

1 - Duminy's attempted tackle of Behardien whilst he was under the ball to catch Elliot was schoolboy cricket at best.

2 - QDK missing the ball on the runout attempt when the game was poised as it was at the time! Ronchi had just gone out 2 balls earlier!

3 - AB's first runout attempt on Anderson was tricky but he had enough time to gather up the ball again and hit the stumps when he should've pulled it out. Anderson had given up. Harsh effort but a missed chance as well!

4 - AB's quick fielding and missed shy at the stumps when Vettori had backed up as much as he did.

Extras - Gotta say there were plenty of half chances. Vettori ran 2 byes in the last over to get through on deliveries he made no contact with. Ball went directly through to QDK. Gotta get one of those! Still trying to understand why Faf would call for the catch trying to run with the ball when Hash was able to go towards it and cover the ground, eventually pulling back to give Faf space and watch the ball land untounched. Duminy's runout attempt at the top of the order effort was not even close to the stumps! That would've been Mac walking back with much less on the scorecard! Coulda, woulda, shoulda!

Was a thrilling contest!

definitely not a choke. it was a seesaw battle and went down to the 2nd last ball.

2011 1/4 final loss was a textbook choke.

i'm going to need some intense therapy if the all blacks edge us in a close knockout game in the rugby world cup this year. still getting over 1999 and australia. (and jeees did shane warne remind pollie about that one a few times in the commentary booth today!)

ja i know...thats just what i said this morning.  Def dont think they choked, was a very good game and should have been the final 2 teams IMO.  Will back NZ to go all the way now.  in the history of CWC no teams has gone undefeated though (I think :wacko:) - in australia's hattrick of wins from '99 to 2007 they were undefeated for 31 consecutive world cup games.

that is not a printing error

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/guru?sdb=team;team=AUS;class=oditeam;filter=basic;opposition=0;notopposition=0;decade=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;groundid=0;season=0;startdefault=1971-01-05;start=1971-01-05;enddefault=2007-04-28;end=2007-04-28;tourneyid=2;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;scheduledovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;followon=0;result=0;seriesresult=0;captainid=0;recent=;viewtype=resultlist;runslow=;runshigh=;wicketslow=;wicketshigh=;ballslow=;ballshigh=;overslow=;overshigh=;bpo=0;batevent=;conclow=;conchigh=;takenlow=;takenhigh=;ballsbowledlow=;ballsbowledhigh=;oversbowledlow=;oversbowledhigh=;bpobowled=0;bowlevent=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

i know hindsight is lank easy, but I think we really failed in this tournament was upfront. opening pair averaged 15. Rushing QdK back was a gamble that didn't pay off, nothing wrong with his keeping - he will hopefully take this one the right way and be a stalwart for us going forward.

# just didn't fire. apart from his big century against ireland, he just didn't deliver up to his expectations. As #3 batsman in the world we needed more from him. Think you can probably say the same about steyn

Doesn't feel like a choke cos you could see the heart that they put into their efforts! That's encouraging to see from a team that go into a tournament with as much pressure as they do!

But the missed chances added together are hard to accept. They had more than 4 opportunities and only had to take 1 of them to really change the swing of events at the time! None unfortunately went the SA way...

1 - Duminy's attempted tackle of Behardien whilst he was under the ball to catch Elliot was schoolboy cricket at best.

2 - QDK missing the ball on the runout attempt when the game was poised as it was at the time! Ronchi had just gone out 2 balls earlier!

3 - AB's first runout attempt on Anderson was tricky but he had enough time to gather up the ball again and hit the stumps when he should've pulled it out. Anderson had given up. Harsh effort but a missed chance as well!

4 - AB's quick fielding and missed shy at the stumps when Vettori had backed up as much as he did.

Extras - Gotta say there were plenty of half chances. Vettori ran 2 byes in the last over to get through on deliveries he made no contact with. Ball went directly through to QDK. Gotta get one of those! Still trying to understand why Faf would call for the catch trying to run with the ball when Hash was able to go towards it and cover the ground, eventually pulling back to give Faf space and watch the ball land untounched. Duminy's runout attempt at the top of the order effort was not even close to the stumps! That would've been Mac walking back with much less on the scorecard! Coulda, woulda, shoulda!

Was a thrilling contest!

i don't know why they didn't do a kapil dev and give grant elliot a warning...you see how far he was backing up. he almost made it to the stumps before qdk caught it.

AB should have had chat with this guy

1380134_878031415579132_6297370134186374

We just don't get the luck of the draw on these games.  Once again rain stuffed our game up. Not only did it lessen the amount of overs where we normally make the most runs, it also made it impossible for our fast bowlers to take wickets with the wet ball.

But really, the moment of the match for me was that dropped catch where Duminy stuffed Behardien's catch up.

218 with 12 overs to go, average of 5.7 per over

If we batted at 10 an over from there it would have given us 338, average of 6.75 per over

NZ target was 298 in 43 overs, which is 6.95 per over.

I agree with the Bold part in your post though

218 with 12 overs to go, average of 5.7 per over

If we batted at 10 an over from there it would have given us 338, average of 6.75 per over

NZ target was 298 in 43 overs, which is 6.95 per over.

I agree with the Bold part in your post though

10 an over - conservative especially since 6 of those 12 overs were going to be cobbled from 5th bowler? we went 13 an over after coming back from a 90 minute rain break.

Grant Elliot who basicly won the game for the Kiwis was born right here in Joburg. Our selectors are our biggest problem in this country.

Don't think he will make our squad