Cricket......

E1A104

J Yadav to Jennings, FOUR, executes the reverse sweep to get to his debut ton. The 19th England  (South African  :clap: ) batsman to get to a maiden hundred in his debut Test. What an effort. Soaks in the applause from the Wankhede crowd. What a way to get there, just plain exuberance. A wide smile on his face

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

J Yadav to Jennings, FOUR, executes the reverse sweep to get to his debut ton. The 19th England  (South African  :clap: ) batsman to get to a maiden hundred in his debut Test. What an effort. Soaks in the applause from the Wankhede crowd. What a way to get there, just plain exuberance. A wide smile on his face

must say..I am quite surprised. ray jennings has been heavily involved in cricket on SA post his retirement. I would have though he would have wanted his son to play for SA rather than england...maybe it wasn't his decision to make

must say..I am quite surprised. ray jennings has been heavily involved in cricket on SA post his retirement. I would have though he would have wanted his son to play for SA rather than england...maybe it wasn't his decision to make

Hardus Viljoen just accepted a Kolpak deal making him ineligible for Protea cricket the next 3-years. Stiaan van Zyl and Simon Harmer also have taken up deals in England, and there's apparently more to follow. It's sad, really.

It is a well-trodden path that Jennings has taken into the England team. Like Kevin Pietersen, Jonathan Trott, Nick Compton and many, many more, he has utilised a British passport (Jennings' mother was born in Sunderland), looked at the unstable nature of South African cricket and the depth of the professional game in England, and come to an understandable conclusion. None of them were poached or coerced; they made perfectly understandable choices that have become common in a mobile, multicultural world.

"I sat down with my Dad and I felt it would be my best opportunity to live my dream in the UK," he explains. "And I'm very glad as I sit here now to have made that hard decision. The opportunity, the professionalism - I can't put my exact finger on it - but there was a welcome feeling, and feeling loved, and being pushed as well."

Jennings will be - after Trott, Compton and Sam Robson - Cook's fourth opening partner born in South Africa or Australia since the retirement of Andrew Strauss, who was also born in South Africa.

Hardus Viljoen just accepted a Kolpak deal making him ineligible for Protea cricket the next 3-years. Stiaan van Zyl and Simon Harmer also have taken up deals in England, and there's apparently more to follow. It's sad, really.

Viljoen - 1 test

Harmer - 5 tests

van zyl - 12 tests

all okes who've been in the mix or thereabouts, so it is worrying that the chance of a test place is not enticing enough.

If I'm not mistaken Ray Jennings was sacked shortly after winning the U-19 world cup. So I doubt CSA is in his good books.. The next world cup we lost almost all our matches, including one to Zim. I remember everyone asking how is it possible to fire such a talented (and WC winning) coach only to plummet to new depths. 

Throw in quota targets, well you can't really call them targets anymore because it is more than just a target, then you understand why these guys leave. There are only 11 spots up for grabs and although Viljoen, Harmer and van Zyl have been around the test squad it is unlikely they will get an extended chance again. So why stick around to play in the horribly low quality domestic circus?

Jennings will be - after Trott, Compton and Sam Robson - Cook's fourth opening partner born in South Africa or Australia since the retirement of Andrew Strauss, who was also born in South Africa.

Viljoen - 1 test

Harmer - 5 tests

van zyl - 12 tests

all okes who've been in the mix or thereabouts, so it is worrying that the chance of a test place is not enticing enough.

earning pounds vs zumaronts. I know which choice I'd make.

earning pounds vs zumaronts. I know which choice I'd make.

I dunno hey....playing for your country vs playing for someone else's country...I know which one i would choose...and regardless of quota's or not..i would make a full go for it here before contemplating playing for another country

Well done lad!!

Wonder what sayeth Fickle Babalucka?

Viljoen - 1 test

Harmer - 5 tests

van zyl - 12 tests

Viljoen - he now needs to get in behind Rabada / Phehlukwayo

Harmer - competing with Shamsi / Phangiso / Maharaj

van Zyl - we are struggling to make space for AB and van Zyl is now behind Bavuma for a test spot.

I'm not saying that the current preferred players are better / worse than those leaving, but in SA we tend to stick with players (which I think is a good thing by the way). If I was offered a good contract to play County Cricket / IPL / BBL etc. I would probably take it. Not only is the money good, but the standard of competition is also much better than in our domestic competitions. Our own 4 day competition is all but extinct (no TV, or even a highlights package of games). While we still have a good talent pool, we need to invest more in the Varsity setup, club cricket and the provincial setups to have a system that can accommodate the vast talent pool we have at our disposal.

IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH

De Villiers endorsed his stand-in, Faf du Plessis, to take over permanently and the CSA board have confirmed du Plessis' appointment.

"The interests of the team must always outweigh the interests of any individual, including me," de Villiers said. "It was a fantastic honour for me to be asked to captain the Test side but I have missed two series and I am still in doubt for the upcoming series against Sri Lanka. Following the squad's outstanding performances in Australia, it is clearly in the greater interests of the team that Faf du Plessis should be confirmed as the permanent Test captain."

De Villiers has been out of action since the Caribbean Premier League in July and was expected to be fit for the Sri Lanka Tests but still needs another three to four weeks before being declared fully fit. He will target the ODIs later in January, a format in which he remains captain, for a comeback.

Cricinfo

IMPORTANT NEWSFLASH

De Villiers endorsed his stand-in, Faf du Plessis, to take over permanently and the CSA board have confirmed du Plessis' appointment.

"The interests of the team must always outweigh the interests of any individual, including me," de Villiers said. "It was a fantastic honour for me to be asked to captain the Test side but I have missed two series and I am still in doubt for the upcoming series against Sri Lanka. Following the squad's outstanding performances in Australia, it is clearly in the greater interests of the team that Faf du Plessis should be confirmed as the permanent Test captain."

De Villiers has been out of action since the Caribbean Premier League in July and was expected to be fit for the Sri Lanka Tests but still needs another three to four weeks before being declared fully fit. He will target the ODIs later in January, a format in which he remains captain, for a comeback.

Cricinfo

Lets hope that Faf did not put his foot in it with appealing the ball tampering matter. He may still face a 1 match ban after the appeal which will put him out of contention for the first game against Sri Lanka.

Lets hope that Faf did not put his foot in it with appealing the ball tampering matter. He may still face a 1 match ban after the appeal which will put him out of contention for the first game against Sri Lanka.

Yeah

True

Looking forward to some more cricket

Bring on December tests