Cricket......

E1A104

Protea Queens bagging a series win against Bangladesh in Bangladesh. Leading 3 - 1 in a 5 match series.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be such a shame. You'd think that test cricket is the pinnacle for any cricketer. Yes he's already played 100+ tests (I think) but he's got a good few years of cricket left in him. Must be $ driven decision.. And maybe politics? 

dont agree with your statement. he has clearly mentioned a few times that hes family orientated and wants to focus on next World cup, he wants to lead rsa to their first silver ware in that regard. what politics??

from my side

there are young guys not being selected for local provincial sides that went to the uk to play there. a couple of them has been signed by the top teams their and earn close to what AB earns for his protea contract. why would you spend six month away from home to get payed the same as a county player where you could get pay 19-25 bar for 6 weeks of work on merit. their are also "other" player not making tour selection getting payed more than guys currently on the field. 

yes you play for the love of the country or badge, but if that badge does not play for you then you have to look after yourself and your profession. this is why a lot of young and now senior players are going missing. there are a few more kolpack signings coming.

T20 Game #2

That was a fun game

The last 5 overs was so dramatic

That Wanderers crowd never ceases to be cool

Edited by 'Dale

dont agree with your statement. he has clearly mentioned a few times that hes family orientated and wants to focus on next World cup, he wants to lead rsa to their first silver ware in that regard. what politics??

Ok so obviously there's been lots written about the whole AB issue since this first came out. But first of all, I raised the issue of politics because the incident during the WC semi seemed to have hurt the team a lot. And even though AB denied everything in his book, I think it hurt him too. 

So, yesterday he scores 134 for the Titans. And he's ready to play in the last T20. After that it's the IPL, where he reportedly earns R18Mil. Oh and the IPL is in India (away from home), for those bringing up the argument of family and wanting to spend more time at home. Does he not also play in the Caribbean T20 tournament? 

Also reported in the media this past week is that he has a R28Mil contract with some company in India. Coincidentally he'll only be ready to play test cricket again when SA tour India. Coincidentally.... 

@Sitting slip, his protea contract is only a drop in the ocean when you look at his earnings through sponsorships.

I know it's all speculation because none of us know him or know why he made the decision to not play test cricket this year. But to me, if he can cash in on T20 cricket then physically there's nothing wrong with him. If he wants to make it to the 2019 WC then so be it. But don't cherry pick when you want to play test cricket, and don't try BS us by saying you're not physically ready. 

IIRC AB has often seemed to battle with cramp in the longer format of the game. I remember more than 1 occasion during long stints in the middle where he couldn't carry on batting properly due to cramps.

I don't know if it is fitness related but if so, his lack of game time could definitely be a factor in him wanting to build up a bit of match fitness in the shorter formats first?

I could of course be completely wrong too.

Ok so obviously there's been lots written about the whole AB issue since this first came out. But first of all, I raised the issue of politics because the incident during the WC semi seemed to have hurt the team a lot. And even though AB denied everything in his book, I think it hurt him too. 

So, yesterday he scores 134 for the Titans. And he's ready to play in the last T20. After that it's the IPL, where he reportedly earns R18Mil. Oh and the IPL is in India (away from home), for those bringing up the argument of family and wanting to spend more time at home. Does he not also play in the Caribbean T20 tournament? 

Also reported in the media this past week is that he has a R28Mil contract with some company in India. Coincidentally he'll only be ready to play test cricket again when SA tour India. Coincidentally.... 

@Sitting slip, his protea contract is only a drop in the ocean when you look at his earnings through sponsorships.

I know it's all speculation because none of us know him or know why he made the decision to not play test cricket this year. But to me, if he can cash in on T20 cricket then physically there's nothing wrong with him. If he wants to make it to the 2019 WC then so be it. But don't cherry pick when you want to play test cricket, and don't try BS us by saying you're not physically ready. 

i dont think there is a lot of cherry picking. when england toured here he already said he is looking at retiring from the longer format. hid deal in india is for his new kit sponsor witch is around 5mil a year. as for many other great stars of the game who only play in the shorter format is only because they have played (enough) or has had a very successful career till date. 

the ipl is 6weeks awat from home as to the protea 6 months to some years even 8. 

i think he as human and player that he is can pick what format he wants to play as he has worked hard and earned the right to do so. its not like he has anything to proof.

i dont think there is a lot of cherry picking. when england toured here he already said he is looking at retiring from the longer format. hid deal in india is for his new kit sponsor witch is around 5mil a year. as for many other great stars of the game who only play in the shorter format is only because they have played (enough) or has had a very successful career till date. 

the ipl is 6weeks awat from home as to the protea 6 months to some years even 8. 

i think he as human and player that he is can pick what format he wants to play as he has worked hard and earned the right to do so. its not like he has anything to proof.

I've always been a big fan of AB, and yes he has nothing to prove and if there's anyone that deserves to cherry pick then it's him. BUT, how would you feel if you were the oke that worked has arse off to get into the test team and score some runs, then when AB feels like it they tell you you're out again?

If he feels his body can't handle playing all 3 formats, then he must drop a format. Don't "half retire". If he wants to go the route Chris Gayle took, then so be it. But be honest and open about it. 

No-one is bigger than the game, and to me it just feels like he's now more interested in chasing $$$$. I mean, he's already earning in excess of R20mil a year, how much more does he want? 

Wonder what the real story is behind AB's commitment to CSA.

He's in the squad for the final 20-per-side game against the Lankans.

Wonder what the real story is behind AB's commitment to CSA.

He's in the squad for the final 20-per-side game against the Lankans.

Yes, to get himself ready for the IPL.....

I've always been a big fan of AB, and yes he has nothing to prove and if there's anyone that deserves to cherry pick then it's him. BUT, how would you feel if you were the oke that worked has arse off to get into the test team and score some runs, then when AB feels like it they tell you you're out again?

If he feels his body can't handle playing all 3 formats, then he must drop a format. Don't "half retire". If he wants to go the route Chris Gayle took, then so be it. But be honest and open about it. 

No-one is bigger than the game, and to me it just feels like he's now more interested in chasing $$$$. I mean, he's already earning in excess of R20mil a year, how much more does he want? 

His 25mil contract spans over two years for the ipl team so he kinda has to go over to play. 

he is a brand by himself and has a family to look after so he will want to make more money at every opportunity like we do everyday we go to work. his job just pays well for the player he is. he also has created a number of jobs with his money for his family and friends.

regarding fitness. there is a big difference between a 3 hour t20 and a 5 day test match for a guy who has always been suffering from back pain. the elbow is just a flash in the pan. 

and i honestly think there is more worry for the guys in the team than ab coming back. imagine you are the best middle order bat but cant get selected because of quotas. ab is the last worry here.a lot of great players had to do this if the rock stars was playing this goes down all the way to provincial level.

SL is a lucky team tonight with a lot of balls just dropping short of the fielded. Its a good final game

Behardien made a few mistakes last night as captain, but he will learn. I am excited to see some of the younger talents that we have coming through, i think we need to give credit to the selectors to give these guys some playing time (hopefully some hunger to honing their skills for the international level).

Behardien made a few mistakes last night as captain, but he will learn. I am excited to see some of the younger talents that we have coming through, i think we need to give credit to the selectors to give these guys some playing time (hopefully some hunger to honing their skills for the international level).

Perhaps we had 1 too many new faces last night. I would have liked to see either Morris / Wiese play instead of Parnell.