Cricket......

E1A104

Interesting hey

12 years on

2005 Last time before this an overseas opener hit a hundred in the first innings of a series in New Zealand. Marvan Atapattu had made 127 in the Napier Test in Sri Lanka's first innings of that series. The previous South Africa opener to do this was Gary Kirsten who made 128 in Auckland in 1998-99.

Cricinfo

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting hey

12 years on

2005 Last time before this an overseas opener hit a hundred in the first innings of a series in New Zealand. Marvan Atapattu had made 127 in the Napier Test in Sri Lanka's first innings of that series. The previous South Africa opener to do this was Gary Kirsten who made 128 in Auckland in 1998-99.

Cricinfo

seems a bit silly really.

probably 1/2 series a year, so we're looking at 18-20 games, say the opposition bats first half the time. so this is a 1 in 9/10 occourence. doesn't seem like anything out the ordinary

probably 1/2 series a year, so we're looking at 18-20 games, say the opposition bats first half the time. so this is a 1 in 9/10 occourence. doesn't seem like anything out the ordinary

It's cricket bru'. They love stats and analysing the sh!t out of every detail.

Are you a woman

Those kind that don't care about sport ????

Are you a woman

Those kind that don't care about sport

how dare you?!!!

I know off the top of my head that Morne Morkel has played more tests than the rest of the bowlers in the squad combined.

He has over 200 wickets but a pretty rubbish average in the high 20s.

BUT they don't count all the wickets that Steyn and Philander got due to the pressure he was applying at the other end.

He's been out the test team for over 18 months, and in this time rabada has cemented his future, philander has got his mojo back and there are many allroundish pretenders fighting for a spot. So ja, he needs to perform this series, or it could be his last.

I've also spent the day wondering how it is possible that 22 tests went by in New Zealand before a captain won the toss and said "we'll have a bat". uh mean, you always bat first. 22 times breaking a rule needs some further interrogation.

The Kiwis had a 33 run lead

Cook fails again

19/1

Then a fire alarm goes off evacuating the stands and there are no apparent fire ????

I think it's time for a replacement [emoji849]

The guy averages 41 and only played 15 innings to date. As an opener you'll get good balls that will dismiss you, but when you get in, you need to go big (probably 1 in 4 innings for a good opener). His technique is very sound, so I'd be more inclined to stick with him for a bit. No one on the domestic scene comes to mind as an obvious replacement. It would help if we could see some local action to assess the young talent out there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The guy averages 41 and only played 15 innings to date. As an opener you'll get good balls that will dismiss you, but when you get in, you need to go big (probably 1 in 4 innings for a good opener). His technique is very sound, so I'd be more inclined to stick with him for a bit. No one on the domestic scene comes to mind as an obvious replacement. It would help if we could see some local action to assess the young talent out there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good point ????????

I think it's time for a replacement

I disagree - Cook is the right guy to open.  

It's the toughest job in cricket and he has the pedigree to make a good, if not great, opener.

I disagree - Cook is the right guy to open.  

It's the toughest job in cricket and he has the pedigree to make a good, if not great, opener.

He's leaving it a bit late... he'll be 35 this year.

How much cricket has Cook actually played recently? AFAIK, he isn't involved in the shorter formats... #rusty #LackingTimeInTheMiddle