• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parnell

Abbott

DeLange

Olivier

Morkel

that's the kolpak jaapies who featured in the top20 wicket takers in the english one day tournament that finished last week.

morkel's figures are pretty good, and de lange even hit an unbeaten half century. obviously the england international players weren't there, and the batting list is full of saffers too, but our resources are severely stretched currently

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=12760;type=tournament

Graeme Joffe wrote the following [which I also posted on the WC thread, imo the 2 threads should not be merged, WC and cricket in general is not really the same]

"I was asked by a number of twitter followers to please expand on my tweet ... so, here goes!

On the field, the Proteas made a lot of schoolboy errors against Bangladesh in all departments. The most glaring was to win the toss AGAIN and bowl first AGAIN. I remember as captain of the Fairways Primary Ter Horst (U9/U10) team in the 80s, our coach, Jimmy Cook told us, you win the toss, you always bat first. So, not sure what has changed since or how the Proteas can think they’re good chasers at a World Cup. Their record certainly doesn’t show it and scoreboard pressure is a real thing. The bowling and fielding was flat and then they forgot to keep a right/left handed batting combo going at a crucial time. 

I’m not a cricket expert but after eight years of investigating the systemic corruption, maladministration and nepotism in SA sport, I can safely say, all three have a dire effect on overall performance. 

Let’s start with Border cricket who in the last five years has gotten close to R50 million from the National Lottery.

Yes, R50 million!

No-one can shed light on what the R50 million was used for apart from some officials using it to fund their own lavish lifestyles.

Had that R50 million been used for grass roots development, structured academies and for looking after some young disadvantaged talent, cricket would have been the winner. Instead, kids have given up on their dream and given up on the sport.

Border cricket is a ghost.

Cricket SA (CSA) is one of the wealthiest federations and also gets millions from the National Lottery. But you still have the player drain (Kolpak) and others who can’t make a living from the game throwing in the towel.

Where’s all the money going? 

So, you’ve lost depth at a schoolboy, amateur and provincial level which doesn’t bode well for the national team and you end up picking half a squad of veterans for the 2019 World Cup who have already failed at previous World Cups.

No depth and no fight for places in the squad!

There’s no longer strength vs strength at the provincial level either which has been watered down to almost a club competition.

The quota system is a smokescreen for the lack of grass roots development and lazy administration. It’s also racist and discriminatory. 

Interesting to see a trio of South Africans working with the current Bangladesh team. Neil McKenzie as the batting coach, Ryan Cook (fielding coach) and Gary Kirsten as a consultant. You think these guys may know a thing or two about the game?

Just for the record CSA, Kirsten coached India to World Cup glory in 2011.

Why aren’t these coaches/consultants in the SA system? 

Because of administrators who want “yes” people and not people who want the best for the players and team!

How many great cricket players, coaches have been flushed out of the SA cricket system because they weren’t yes people? 

CSA has had numerous boardroom battles with Presidents and CEO’s fighting over money and lest we not forget the whole Gerald Majola saga.

But still corruption and nepotism is rife within CSA and Majola is now the ‘Sedgars rep’ for their lucrative, non-tendered CSA contracts. 

Administrators in it for their own personal gain and not what’s in it for the players.

You still have selection interference and from administrators who have never ever played the game.

How can you expect to win trophies if you don't send out your best 11 players?

But at the same time, credit to Bangladesh for getting professional help and for improving all the time!

Bafana Bafana losing to Botswana shouldn’t be a surprise either. SA football is riddled with corruption, maladministration and nepotism. 

When last did you read a feel good story between SAFA and the PSL?

The Jordaan/Khoza battle over power and money has crippled the game and it shows on the field. The players know it.

There’s also no consistency and long term planning.

Bafana Bafana have had how many coaches in the last 10 years and how much has been paid out to terminate their contracts?

Millions and millions which could have been used for development down the drain!

Clubs and junior programs are fighting for survival whilst millions from the Lottery and FIFA legacy program disappears. 

Good players and coaches give up.

I repeat, how can you expect to win trophies if you don't send out your best 11 players?

It’s exactly the same in SA Rugby, SA Athletics and SA swimming and the officials get away with it because the Sports Ministry and SASCOC are just as corrupt! 

They all have dirt on each other until the thieves fall out over money. That’s the only time you may hear about it as there is no culture of investigative sports journalism in SA.

The rot just gets deeper!

SA sport has been demonized by systemic corruption, maladministration and nepotism! "

Parnell

Abbott

DeLange

Olivier

Morkel

that's the kolpak jaapies who featured in the top20 wicket takers in the english one day tournament that finished last week.

morkel's figures are pretty good, and de lange even hit an unbeaten half century. obviously the england international players weren't there, and the batting list is full of saffers too, but our resources are severely stretched currently

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=12760;type=tournament

Parnell is dog poo, i dont care how many wickets he takes. he does not have the mental capacity to play international cricket, it was proven time and time again. thats what happens if you win the world cup as a 19yo and get given a fat contract with one of the local franchises without providing the youngster with proper mentoring ito managing yourself. Parnell self destructed. [edit: he was in fact captain of the side in the 2008 WC, where we lost in the final to India. Parnell was the tournament's leading wicket taker though].

Abbott is a real loss to SA cricket, but we all saw that at the previous edition of the WC. And Kyle also saw what his employers thought of him, thats why his loyalty lies with himself, not his employer.

De Lange is a real loss to our Test Side. IMO that is where he is most sorely missed. Ngidi is not bad, but already he seems to suffer from the same issue we saw with Tsotsobe, lack of fitness. I do like his qualities though, just wish our bowlers can take ownership of their conditioning (Rory Kleinveldt comes to mind, i mean, WTF)

Edited by gemmerbal

And again SA win the toss and decide to bat first

win toss and bowl - people complain

win toss and bat - people complain

I think this is an ok move, get scoreboard pressure on them rather.

not so sure i would have picked shamzi and amla over pretorius and markram, but let's see how it goes

Ian Chappell said, 9 times out of 10 you win the toss and bat, the 10th, you think about it and still bat.

fact of the matter is, our batting is so thin, it doesn't matter whether we bat first or second.

Parnell is dog poo, i dont care how many wickets he takes. he does not have the mental capacity to play international cricket, it was proven time and time again. thats what happens if you win the world cup as a 19yo and get given a fat contract with one of the local franchises without providing the youngster with proper mentoring ito managing yourself. Parnell self destructed. [edit: he was in fact captain of the side in the 2008 WC, where we lost in the final to India. Parnell was the tournament's leading wicket taker though].

Abbott is a real loss to SA cricket, but we all saw that at the previous edition of the WC. And Kyle also saw what his employers thought of him, thats why his loyalty lies with himself, not his employer.

De Lange is a real loss to our Test Side. IMO that is where he is most sorely missed. Ngidi is not bad, but already he seems to suffer from the same issue we saw with Tsotsobe, lack of fitness. I do like his qualities though, just wish our bowlers can take ownership of their conditioning (Rory Kleinveldt comes to mind, i mean, WTF)

I don't agree, these guys are all backup players not first choice. The legend of Kyle Abbott is a bit ridiculous. He has one excellent game against Ireland and somehow he's remembered as our version of Glenn McGrath. (he has an ODI bowling average north of 30).

That's what kolpak has done, take all the best players who aren't in the starting XI

Well the Amla for Markram move didn't work. I don't think we'll see # again this tournament.

Ian Chappell said, 9 times out of 10 you win the toss and bat, the 10th, you think about it and still bat.

fact of the matter is, our batting is so thin, it doesn't matter whether we bat first or second.

when he played cricket, 3 runs per over was smashing it. things have changed a bit

A moment of silence for the Proteas please.

pitch looks spicy.

KG must be excited to bowl.

pity he's the only out and out quick.

morris and andile going to have to deliver today.

(i think morris got a bit unfairly tuned for bowling expensive death overs against Ban - KG dropped a very catchable catch and it went downhill from there)

pitch looks spicy.

KG must be excited to bowl.

pity he's the only out and out quick.

morris and andile going to have to deliver today.

(i think morris got a bit unfairly tuned for bowling expensive death overs against Ban - KG dropped a very catchable catch and it went downhill from there)

At this rate they’re better of making some sightseeing plans with all the time they’re going to have on their hands.

I was still positive about the team going into the tournament, made a bet with a colleague that we would make the semi's.... Can't see that happening from looking at the three batting performances thus far.

At this stage I am wondering: Can we go through the entire tournament without winning a single game...?

Even Afghanistan looked like a decent challenge last night.