Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scooter made batting against Brett Lee look like a stroll in the park (Lee was clocking 150kph regularly at that stage of his career!). Cullinan was talented, but Gibbs took it to another level. Ive never seen a guy hit a six off the front foot over extra cover with such ease, it was just ridiculous.

Ill tell you what he also broke, was many guys spirits, when he walked into La Med on a Sunday afternoon, because any chance you had of scoring with a chick went out the door the minute Scooter walked in... 

Ja ney... whatta sportsman.

One of my school boy heroes. Broke so many records across sporting codes while at bishops.

...and who would forget that innings in the greatest ODI 

bishops did very well considering...

What do you mean by considering.They have top coaches and play the game hard.

My son played for Rondebosch and the derby's were hard games.

I dunno if we should be looking to rugby for magic answers on transformation, I'm not sure if they have done anything more than cricket has, and recent improvements in matchday squads seem to be more organic and over a long time period than anything special.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1157728/where-are-south-africa-s-black-african-batsmen

This sentiment was echoed by Hashim Amla in the Cricket Monthly earlier this year: "Most of the top bowlers in South Africa don't necessarily have to go to a top cricketing school, because their development happens later, whereas in batting, you have got to have the good coaching and then the upbringing of batting." Indeed, seam bowler Junior Dala, who recently made his ODI debut against Sri Lanka, is one of the few professional cricketers in South Africa who is not a product of an elite school.

I am not saying that rugby has the magic bullet required to solve the issues around transformation but they certainly could help giving clarity on how they got such good position (players that is appropriately skilled and up to the standard required ie quality players) regardless of the time period. For me personally it does seem though that the time period was short.

That said, as I stated in my previous post there is a lot that needs fixing and I am relatively certain that I was merely scratching the surface of the issues facing CSA and it's leadership. Certainly player development from age groups up is definitely one of them as well. As is playing structures, as is transformation, as is generating the money to fund the game in South Africa. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes and having to find answers/solutions to these issues.

What do you mean by considering.They have top coaches and play the game hard.

My son played for Rondebosch and the derby's were hard games.

His comments have all been tongue in cheek around the horny waterpolo coach

His comments have all been tongue in cheek around the horny waterpolo coach

Ha ha...I had forgotten about her already.Drop in the ocean

Shebeen, bonus points if you can guess the sportsman I'm talking about.

No guess required there, which is exactly why I indicated him as an outlier.

Freaky once in a generation talent.

And not exactly township upbringing either, his dad was a respected sports journalist at Cape timesb and he went to st George's junior.

I remember first seeing him in the sports illustrated when he must have been 14/15 only and tipped for the top. Oddly enough, despite being so talented at so many sports you would think he would have bowled too.

He was schooled at  St Josephs Marist College, which is hardly the most prominent school in Rondebosch, and by the time he went to Bishops his parents were working multiple jobs to afford his schooling, for which he had to commute all the way from Bergvliet. That to me doesn't like your typical Bishops scholar, so no, I refute your comment.

The point being argued is that of the statement made and then endorsed by Hash, which is that schooling makes the difference in the development of batters.

History will prove that there are large numbers of world class batsmen who never attended big sporting schools.

The one common denominator in nearly all of these cases is that these youngsters played backyard cricket, all day, every day, and not their scholastic connections. I stand by this viewpoint.

No guess required there, which is exactly why I indicated him as an outlier.

Freaky once in a generation talent.

And not exactly township upbringing either, his dad was a respected sports journalist at Cape timesb and he went to st George's junior.

I remember first seeing him in the sports illustrated when he must have been 14/15 only and tipped for the top. Oddly enough, despite being so talented at so many sports you would think he would have bowled too.

so this time last year we were smashing pakistan.

all eyes were on the world cup in june, then SriLanka came for two tests in all sorts of disarray and schooled us. it was the beginnging of the dip that hasn't yet bottomed out.

currently, that selfsame SL are staring down the barrel of a gun just over the limpopo

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19724/scorecard/1212542/zimbabwe-vs-sri-lanka-2nd-test-sri-lanka-in-zimbabwe-2019-20

GO ZIM!

SA u19 update.

World cup in our backyard

Lost to Afg badly

Beat Canada

Shaky DLS win over UAE

Smashed by BAN in the 1/4 finals.

Future ain't lookin bright either

SA u19 update.

Lost to Afg badly

Beat Canada

Shaky DLS win over UAE

I think I might have more opportunities for success supporting Ireland!

SA u19 update.

Lost to Afg badly

Beat Canada

Shaky DLS win over UAE

At least the ladies won their ODI series against the Kiwis. It's not all doom and gloom.

SA u19 update.

Lost to Afg badly

Beat Canada

Shaky DLS win over UAE

The tournament is played on a largely spin-friendly wickets especially with the drought prevalent over most of the interior region of the Northern Cape and North West

The frailty of playing spin is a flu throughout the top tier players across all age categories in SA ????????

Top wicket takers all spin

It’s great to see the youngsters battle it out

Edited by 'Dale

At least the ladies won their ODI series against the Kiwis. It's not all doom and gloom.

Big whoo hoooo ✌????