gummibear

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My old man passed away 13 years ago and left a void as one would expect. Whilst he did not own much of any real value, he did own the watch below which was his 21st birthday gift from his dad. I wore it for a long time but gave up after it lost loads of time. It has been in my cupboard for over 10 years. 

Last year I decided to have it looked at and hopefully restored. The jeweler sent it off to the Omega supplier in SA who immediately asked if he could send it to Omega in Switzerland given the age etc.

Well, I collected it yesterday and was overjoyed to see, new strap, new crown, new glass, full internal refurbishment and a proper polish and general clean up. The watch is back to what they said, would be the same condition and functionality as the day it was first purchased. You can see the engraving on the back with my dad's initials and the date of his 21st birthday - 7-11-63. This makes the watch 51 yrs old on Friday...  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

post-19851-0-19369700-1415089515_thumb.jpg

post-19851-0-47667900-1415089527_thumb.jpg

very nice jigghead.

It's amazing. omega can replace a strap on a watch 51 years old but fossil can't replace a strap on a watch less than 10 years old...... so much for customer service

Hey Jigghead.

I too have an inheritence Omega that i have been considering sending in.

Which jeweller did you use? how long did it take, and if i may be so bold as to ask, what did they charge you?

very nice jigghead.

It's amazing. omega can replace a strap on a watch 51 years old but fossil can't replace a strap on a watch less than 10 years old...... so much for customer service

Agreed, they were initially not optimistic about the outcome given the age, they also said the automatic mechanism would be tough to sort out, but they managed to make a plan.

I think the strap was not the original as I believe it originally came with a metal bracelet. But when faced with a charge of close to R10K just for the strap, I decided against it. They also said that this colour gold would be difficult to match, so it would look a bit off.

All in all, I'm very chuffed with the result.

Edited by Jigghead

Hey Jigghead.

I too have an inheritence Omega that i have been considering sending in.

Which jeweller did you use? how long did it take, and if i may be so bold as to ask, what did they charge you?

PM sent.

Can anybody tell me the brand of this watch, I picked it up in our delivery vehicle. The logo on the face is 19 and then 91 inverted

post-10812-0-68705300-1415090710_thumb.jpg

Can anybody tell me the brand of this watch, I picked it up in our delivery vehicle. The logo on the face is 19 and then 91 inverted

It's a 1991 green face.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

• 3 weeks later...

please tell me you own this, and also, where you got it?

received it today. I cant tell you where i got it. I was sworn to secrecy. Edited by Wayne Potgieter

received it today. I cant tell you where i got it. I was sworn to secrecy.

I'm onto you, but you're safe!  Me no android, "Motoman!"