Bike Wash

Jeepdude

bike wash  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wash your bike yourself

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Do you take your bike to shop for a wash?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Do you support bike washes at races?

• yes
    • no

i would like to research the hubbers EXPERT opinions and habits on bike wash maintenance

if you have a favourite product please name it and what you are prepared to pay for a bike wash product

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I clean my mountain bike after every ride and will use a bike wash if I am at a trail centre and they have one.

I clean my road bikes every weekend. Sometimes every other weekend if it has been dry but I would still clean and lube the chainset.

I use sunlight dish soap and water. I used to use muckoff but sunlight seems to do the job just as well. I would never let anyone but me clean my road bikes. No one does as a good a job as me.

I do it myself. I once used a free bike wash at an event. Don't know what they used but the crown of my fork still has stain marks on it. Lesson learned.

Use a normal car wax/shampoo and stay away from sunlight or dish washer kinds of cleaners.

For really grimy/muddy parts like the cassette I spray on some Prepsol or Powasol before washing the bike and let it dry overnight before lubing again.

I use a pressure cleaner now a days because it is a water saver, but I keep it at least just over a meter from the bike and don't spray near bearings and seals.

Occasionally I'll use a polish like Multitergent or Red Hot products, although I'm not keen on their aerosol packaging.

Generally I never use the bike washes at races unless I do rinse the bike off myself when it's quiet. Largely because with there being a volume of bikes there to be cleaned the job is only half done and also because the washers have the pressure nozzles far too close the bikes, as well as squirting the degreaser everywhere including the frame.

I tend not to use bike washes at races / trail centres because they generally use high pressure hoses liberally and they'll do a rushed job to get through the queues. Also, I'm normally in a hurry to get back home so I don't have time to sit and wait.

When washing my bike I normally use a car shampoo with a combo of cloths / brushes and degreaser to clean up the drive train. If I've got time I'll give the bike the Macguires treatment as well :)

I use Powasol. Spray on, leave for 5 minutes and hose off. The tyres look like they have been siliconed they come out so shiny! Solvent based degreaser for the chain and sprockets ensuring to NOT get any inside the freewheel hub. Blow with compressed air (From a distance!!!) and wipe dry. Lube and pack away for the next ride. Rub down braking surfaces on aluminium rims with Brake leaner or thinners.

NOBODY else washes my bike. I don't even like other people touching it. :angry:

I use Powasol. Spray on, leave for 5 minutes and hose off. The tyres look like they have been siliconed they come out so shiny! Solvent based degreaser for the chain and sprockets ensuring to NOT get any inside the freewheel hub. Blow with compressed air (From a distance!!!) and wipe dry. Lube and pack away for the next ride. Rub down braking surfaces on aluminium rims with Brake leaner or thinners.

NOBODY else washes my bike. I don't even like other people touching it. :angry:

Excuse the ignorance, but does that mean that with Powasol you don't need to use all sorts of weird brushes to get into all the nooks and crannies? if so, I'm going to pick some up asap!

Excuse the ignorance, but does that mean that with Powasol you don't need to use all sorts of weird brushes to get into all the nooks and crannies? if so, I'm going to pick some up asap!

yes.... i tested Powasol this weekend as well.. sprayed it on after i wet the bike with simple garden hose.. left for three or so minutes not too long so it dries!!! then hose off.

Prepsol has caustic which wreaks havoc on bearings..(meant for motorbikes) Powasol has low ph balance and no caustic

yes.... i tested Powasol this weekend as well.. sprayed it on after i wet the bike with simple garden hose.. left for three or so minutes not too long so it dries!!! then hose off.

Prepsol has caustic which wreaks havoc on bearings..(meant for motorbikes) Powasol has low ph balance and no caustic

Sounds awesome. Any side effects / precautions?

anybody ever taught their garden executive how to wash a bike properly? many are expert at washing cars, but if i look at the state of their bikes i'm not so sure it's a good idea.

Mr Min.

Just spray and wipe.

" no mess, no fuss"

Don't think it would work that good on a muddy mtb.

Check the label, often these have acetone in. Not good for your paint job in the long term.

Sounds awesome. Any side effects / precautions?

if you leave powasol on to dry it leaves a white soap mark which can be wiped off.. that is about it..

Check the label, often these have acetone in. Not good for your paint job in the long term.

thanx, I will have a look.

Edit: I had I look. No acetone in my mr min.

Edited by Kerneels

Sludge bike wash!

Good product, designed for bicycles, has an additive to protect your paint, most dirt rinses off with no rubbing, and best of all, fully biodegradable, so it won't kill your lawn or harm the environment! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...