Campag, BMC & Specialized

DaleE

I'm looking for some opinions . help from those who are know the Campag range of products ....

The problem is like this: I am in the final stages of buying a new bike ... original plan was a Tarmac SL4 or Roubaix SL3 with Ultegra bits. THEN, like a twit I had a look at the 2011 BMC Team machine .... and now am having a problem making up my mind :0

The biggest difference is that the BMC comes with Campag Chorus 11spd (and BMC SA does not have framsets so I can build one with Ultegra). Only other option is a Di2Ultegra option on the 2012 frame; but there is a R15k difference!

So.....

Is having Campag an issue? - reliability, easy of maintenance, shifting quality, etc

Am I correct that Chorus is Campag equivalent to Ultegra? Price wise it falls between Ultegra and Dura Ace.

Lastly, any comments on the frames - other than the fact that they will obviously 'feel' different on the road?

TIA,

Dale

I run ultegra 6700 so cant comment on the way campag feels etc. I love ultegra for what its worth.

From what I have heard campag is excellent but I know that spares and stuff are a bit pricey. I have also heard that it is a bit finicky to set up initially. All of the above is hearsay. The heritage that campag brings with it is another story altogether.

As for the frames, wow you are spoilt for choice. In that price range is that all you narrowed it down to? There are plenty awesome bikes available at that price. If it were me I would be deciding between the tarmac or the roubaix. A mate of mine just got a roubaix and it is serious!

Good luck, should be fun deciding :D

Edited by Zula

I have used Dura Ace, 105 and Sram Force as well as Campag Record. My opinion, Sram best brakes , Shimano value Campag better hood design, shift quality and durability. Campag is initially pricey but lasts way longer.

I'm looking for some opinions . help from those who are know the Campag range of products ....

The problem is like this: I am in the final stages of buying a new bike ... original plan was a Tarmac SL4 or Roubaix SL3 with Ultegra bits. THEN, like a twit I had a look at the 2011 BMC Team machine .... and now am having a problem making up my mind :0

The biggest difference is that the BMC comes with Campag Chorus 11spd (and BMC SA does not have framsets so I can build one with Ultegra). Only other option is a Di2Ultegra option on the 2012 frame; but there is a R15k difference!

So.....

Is having Campag an issue? - reliability, easy of maintenance, shifting quality, etc

Am I correct that Chorus is Campag equivalent to Ultegra? Price wise it falls between Ultegra and Dura Ace.

Lastly, any comments on the frames - other than the fact that they will obviously 'feel' different on the road?

TIA,

Dale

Chorus compares to Dura Ace, so logically is better than Ultegra. Get the BMC.

Been riding with Chorus 11 Speed for over two years, no issues. Replacement consumables are pricy, but they seem to last forever.... There is a fellow Hubber that told me he got mega km's on his Chorus Chain and cassette. Probably equivalent to DA as there is still Super Record, but the haters will argue that one all day. There are no real bad Groupsets nowadays. It boils down to personal choice. Ride them all if you can, before you decide. Some will also say that you should not write off the Red, Yellow or Black Dark horse or Force....

I would go with campy. The hoods are more comfy and the front deraillur changes much better than shimano. I rode DA 7800 and 7900 for years and going to campy has been only positive for me. Parts like your chain and cassettes are pricy, but seem to last longer. Looks wise you cannot compare :thumbup: Cannot comment on the frames, as I don't have experienced them, but the specialized are very nice

Edited by LOOK695

Is having Campag an issue?

No issue at all. I have been:

Riding Shimano Ultegra for 6 year

Riding Campy Record and Chorus for 11 years

reliability

Personal experience. No breakages on Campy. Broke 2 levers on Shimano. No way to repair them. No way they could tell why it broke. Please buy 2 new levers. Thats when I HAD to switched. Thank you Shimano! :clap:

easy of maintenance

Had not issues that far. Had to replace the springs on my Campy levers R250 later after 6 years and ±60 000km done on them.

Very important is that there is NO ONE in SA that can open up a Shimano STI lever.

Campy you can actually and there are many youtube vids that can help if you want to do it yourself.

I have never had to open mine.

shifting quality

Absolutely LOVE my campagnolo shifters. More than I did my Ultegra. They just look prettier!!!! :blush:

Good luck on the decision!!!

To possibly make things harder, Competitive Cyclist in the US is having a massive sale on BMC (though only for today, I think).

Not sure how their prices compare to local. Just remember to add about 17% for VAT etc. on frames and about 30% on complete bikes when doing the comparison. Also add the 17% to the shipping amount.

I'm a fan of Shimano and Campagnolo, love them both. But I have had issues with Shimano groupsets in the past. Ratchets go in the levers and are impossible to have repaired. Derailleurs give problems with their springs. And in over 4 different decades of riding, I've had a few groupsets!

However, never ever have I had an issue with a Campagnolo groupset. There is an old saying "Campagnolo wears in while Shimano wears out"

You will not go wrong with Campagnolo. And TNT1 is correct, Chorus is the equivalent of Dura Ace, and remember they have Record and Super Record above that! You will not have an issue with Campagnolo. If there is one thing the Italians made properly, its this!

Go Campag and never look back

A groupset is groupset. They all do the same thing as well as each other. I would go Chorus purely for the looks. Not that it makes a difference, but Chorus is lighter than Ultegra

To choose between the Tarmac or the Roubaix. I would go Tarmac. The SL4 is the 2012 version and looks nicer than the SL3 Roubaix. The Roubaix is a comfort orientated frame whilst the Tarmac has a racier geometry.

Many thanks for all the replies and info - nice to hear that Chorus is worthwhile.

As for the frames, wow you are spoilt for choice. In that price range is that all you narrowed it down to?

Yup, has taken about a month to narrow it down to Tarmac or Roubaix .... and then along came the BMC to confuse me :) Looked at BH, Trek, Giant, Scott and Cannondale. Spec and BMC stuff just seems to be better quality (purely subjective) and I really liked the internal routing of the Spec models. Roubaix is probably the technically correct choice for an amateur vet, but the BMC has an attraction that is hard to define and is about 1kg lighter!. Not likely to win the Argus anytime soon, but spending about 11hrs a week on the bike, so looking for something a bit better than a Makro special :)

To possibly make things harder, Competitive Cyclist in the US is having a massive sale on BMC (though only for today, I think).

Thanks, did look at this, but even with the discounts, once you add the shipping, taxes, etc. they are only about 8% cheaper than the local dealer, so think I will support the locals.

Dale

Just re-outfitted all my bikes with campag.

Running centaur 2011 Carbon on one and Veloce 2011 on the other. Best feel for ergo lever i have ever had, so so comfy.

Am a campag fan, but reckon my observations are shared by lovers and haters alike.

What about a Bianchi Oltre or Sempre with Campag...... :drool:

loverly!!

How many arms and legs do I need to donate for one of those?