Bonus Time

Carmichael

A bonus is a privilege, not a right (unless written into your contract)

The Land Rover is financed as a company car, so that doesn't count.

Boats are not as expensive as most people think.

Putting up with builders for 7 months means that he is either insane or short of cash (spreading costs over a long term)

The long and the short ~ what the directors earn or do with their money is none of your business. If they didn't commit capital to the business, you wouldn't have a job, so they deserve their return. Suck it up, or move, it's very simple.And yes, before you point it out, I too am a director.

bo·nus/ˈbōnəs/Noun:

1.A payment or gift added to what is usual or expected, in particular.

2.An amount of money added to wages on a seasonal basis, esp. as a reward for good performance.

"The long and the short ~ what the directors earn or do with their money is none of your business"

Might be true in theory, but Directors who dont consider the "workers" perceptions regarding Directors lifestyles vs their own renumerations are either stupid or totaly apathetic.

"Suck it up or move" ?

No wonder some employees think their Directors are dick heads

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an employee you have no right to a bonus, unless its in you contract, and you should be thankful for what you get not moan about what you don't get. If you are not happy with the company policy, make a move. And as said before, its none of your business what the directors do with their money.

As a director I believe it is a good principle to first look after your people and then after yourself. I think its irresponsible to splash out on new toys and home improvements and then tell your staff, "Sorry, there's nothing left for you". As a director you are under no obligation to give a bonus, but to behave in such a way just shows that you are a lousy person. You may not care using / abusing others for your own benefit and that's just life. No one can really change that. I suppose it depends on what your values are and what you want to be remembered for.

A bonus is not a right but should be given at the discretion of the Company if the Directors feel the business can afford it. If not, well, tough ****. However, don't plead poverty at the same time as lashing out on a new Discovery or a Cayenne.

I just consider myself to have been lucky enough to have had a job where I've earned a reasonable salary.

I don't get a bonus, so I made an arrangement with Wesbank for a payment holiday over Decembers on our cars, I submit my tax return just before the due date and I do my Christmas shopping from October and spread it over 3 paychecks.

My tax refund normally equates to a 13th cheque and all the other little things I do means that I can really enjoy my December holiday.

My increase is also due in January and I usually know by 15 December what my increase would be, so that helps me with how much I have to spend during my holiday.

okay, now let us go back on this and see how many "bosses" like myself are on hub now chatting away and there are other people working now to help us having enough money and time to chat ....

okay, now let us go back on this and see how many "bosses" like myself are on hub now chatting away and there are other people working now to help us having enough money and time to chat ....

That's just evil!

As an employee you have no right to a bonus, unless its in you contract, and you should be thankful for what you get not moan about what you don't get. If you are not happy with the company policy, make a move. And as said before, its none of your business what the directors do with their money.

As a director I believe it is a good principle to first look after your people and then after yourself. I think its irresponsible to splash out on new toys and home improvements and then tell your staff, "Sorry, there's nothing left for you". As a director you are under no obligation to give a bonus, but to behave in such a way just shows that you are a lousy person. You may not care using / abusing others for your own benefit and that's just life. No one can really change that. I suppose it depends on what your values are and what you want to be remembered for.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction :huh:

lol ... they are all on facebook or chatting with their mates on Skype. But we do have a 'fair use' policy and when it starts getting out of hand, we can send warnings and can always plug the firewall with new rulz, but that's a last resort.

As for myself, I end up doing such inane demoralising mindless work such as processing payroll and creditor payments, I always need to have something else going on my other screen otherwise I would really loose my mind. That's on top of listening to BBC World Service most of the day as well.

I know of a company (no names mentioned....) where the directors and traders are NOT ALLOWED to drive their Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc. to work because it could negatively affect company moral and perceptions. Funny enough Porches are allowed....

Strange world master Jack....

I know someone was going to say this... hehe , as i am the financial manager i know that the company paid the boat 325 000!! We are Builders, and all the labour and materials was paid by the company.. Yes the disco is paid by the company, but still adds to his cost to company, which can be seen as an increase. I am the one getting the projects in and neg the figures. So neither of them can bull*&@t me. I know what the profits are ,and there was promises made. I am going for the knockout in round 1.lol

A knee in the directors crotch might be a good tactic ... just saying eek.gif

Heh! My payment is directly related to the work that I do. if I don't see clients, I don't get commission. I have no bonuses, or incentives, or subsidies save what I earn myself. In fact, I pay to make use of the office, and I have to foot all my own bills.

Bonus? What the hell is that?

My wife gets to structure her own package, in that she can decide whether to take a 13th cheque or spread it over the year. Having said that, she gets 6 months full pay for maternity, and loves what she does.

Bonuses are earnt by my hard work, and by putting away what I can during the year. In fact, I've instituted a plan whereby I have some investments going side by side, and the first will be maturing in a few years. After the 1st one matures, another will mature every year.

I know of a company (no names mentioned....) where the directors and traders are NOT ALLOWED to drive their Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc. to work because it could negatively affect company moral and perceptions. Funny enough Porches are allowed....

Strange world master Jack....

How the hell do you drive a Porch? From your wicker chair whilst sipping on your home brew?

The one company I worked for handed out a holiday bonus in 2008 - a nice 10% reduction in salary, while the bosses all got raises. This was after about 10 months of people getting laid off, overtime pay being cut, then comp time eliminated, no golf outing (golf outing was cancelled a week before it was to happen), no holiday party. Needless to say, the decent workers that were still left didn't stick around for much longer after that!

Ok, so a quick read through the thread and it is very apparent there are good "bosses" and good "plebs".

Communication is key between management and the staff and leads to a healthy work environment.

There was a time where I worked for a certain practice where we were working anything from 12 - 18 hours a day, including an 8 hour day over the weekends to get truck loads of work out .... every month we were promised we would be paid, and then a couple of days into the new month we had to go and ask were our money was ... the answer of the Client has not paid would be the usual response ... this went on for three months. December comes and we were promised our salaries with a bonus ... nothing came from it at all ... at this stage my wife was in late pregnancy with our first child.

New year comes and boss has been to oz and now has a new BMW ...oh and immigration forms to enter oz arrive at the office ... WTF ...

I get head hunted by a really good practice and let the soon to be ex. boss know I am leaving and soon.

Money is said to be paid out A.S.A.P.... nothing happens ... then a meeting where a threat of opening a case up against him would come into play and the money miraculously appears!

This is an example of a bad boss!

Long post, but not all employees do not share in the companies hard times and not all drag their feet.

How the hell do you drive a Porch? From your wicker chair whilst sipping on your home brew?

Dude you can only unnerstand when you dunit, gerrit?

Spelling Nazi!!