wheelset upgrades

Slowbee

There were some Campy Eurus wheels in the classifieds. I am using them and find them excellent. Weight is about 1480g. I have a shimano hub for campy wheels available if you want to go that route

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgrade is a relative term. I would only consider a bigish jump (to something like the RS80, Fulcrum 3 or better) as a worthwhile upgrade. Aksium, 105 etc are a side step (may be newer but not necessarily better). I would service the hubs, tension the spokes and let her ride until the braking surfaces are worn out.

+1.

The WHR500 and the RS cheapies (10, 20 etc) are so similar it can barely be considered an upgrade to change between them. I have sets of all of them, they are all very similar and all very basic training wheels.

Changing to a set of RS80's is a different story, that is a damn fine wheel imo, but it comes at a price (unfortunately the C24 is becoming a bit difficult to find, while the C50 is too heavy for my liking)

nice advice Chowder

so what you all saying if I can get second hand at R2000, great - otherwise look to new at about R3000?

There were some Campy Eurus wheels in the classifieds. I am using them and find them excellent. Weight is about 1480g. I have a shimano hub for campy wheels available if you want to go that route

Getting my post count up today :-)

I race with Eurus (2005 version) and they are bomb proof. I think a tad heavier at 1550 g, but hey what is 70g. Much better "upgrade" than the Fulcrums.

Personally, I would not consider any of the Shimano options you mentioned as they are not much better than her current wheels.

Check out www.buycycle.co.za They are selling Sram S27s (or is it AL) for just over R2 000. i don't think you will get a better wheel for the price and they will come in at 300g lighter than her current wheels.

Edited by Eugene

its part of the plan of upgrading her bike over time.

first the wheels, then the components and then the frame. all over time - but according to those in the know, the wheelset can make the biggest difference, so I want to start there.

1. Frame

2. Wheels

3. Gruppo

That's the upgrade order.

1. Frame

2. Wheels

3. Gruppo

That's the upgrade order.

Interesting. I think the main reason most people put wheels before frame is the cost factor, but having said that, wouldn't "normal" riders get a more immediate benefit from a crappy frame & good light wheels than a new frame & crappy wheels?

Edited by Falco

Interesting. I think the main reason most people put wheels before frame is the cost factor, but having said that, wouldn't "normal" riders get a more immediate benefit from a crappy frame & good light wheels than a new frame & crappy wheels?

I'd also reckon that if you have a reasonable frame, that light wheels will have bigger effect. Wheel weight is exaggerated due to the rotational momentum, and you especially notice that on hills. Ride a hill, then try putting a slightly heavier tyre or a slime tube in and ride the same hill - I can pretty much guarantee that even though we're talking a few grams, it feels like someone has tied rocks to your back.

Please guys, let this not degenerate into another wheel momentum debate.

Having said that, the advice is taken. Need to spend more money to make it more worthwhile.

Got it.

Its now just a case of looking in the classifieds.

let this not degenerate into another wheel momentum debate.

Oops, apols for straying down that road ;) Nuff said.

Now go get her them new wheels, and get out there and start enjoying them

Personally, I would not consider any of the Shimano options you mentioned as they are not much better than her current wheels.

Check out www.buycycle.co.za They are selling Sram S27s (or is it AL) for just over R2 000. i don't think you will get a better wheel for the price and they will come in at 300g lighter than her current wheels.

how do the srams s27's compare with the campy eurus (in the classifieds?, but with a dent?)

Please guys, let this not degenerate into another wheel momentum debate.

Having said that, the advice is taken. Need to spend more money to make it more worthwhile.

Got it.

Its now just a case of looking in the classifieds.

Good Call!

I nearly opened a can of comment on that last post, and then saw your post... TKS!

Good luck with the wheel shopping.

how do the srams s27's compare with the campy eurus (in the classifieds?, but with a dent?)

The Eurus wheels are much, much better, they are much lighter than the Sram nad probably have better hubs. However, the Sram is new and comes with a warranty whereas the Eurus wheels are second hand with a dent (how did the dent get there?).

I'm not sure which Eurus you are looking at, there have been a number of them on the Hub lately, some of which are the older, heavier models.

Also, you are going to sit with compatabilty problems with the cassette. You will have to change the freebody to accept the Shimano cassette, meaning more money spent. Sram and Shimano are 100% compatible.

Thanks Eugene, the Eurus I am looking at are in the classifieds, being sold by Summit Cycles in CT ?

Would a beginner cyclist notice the difference between the two wheels (SRAM and Campy), if they are upgrading from the WH-R500's? My gut says not, but am open to advice.

Another option is to sell your wife's bike. RC3000s go for R3 000 to R4 500 depending on the year model. Worst case scenario is to sell it for R3 000 and then pay in the R3 000 plus a little extra you were prepared to spend on the wheels on this bike:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/17008-raleigh-rc-6000-carbon-sram-rivalbargain/

This way, for a similar amount of money you would have spent, you will get a better frame, a much better groupset and the upgraded wheels you wanted in the first place.

If the frame is not right, there are plenty of similar frames going for a song on the Hub or, just swop the parts around and sell the RC6000 with your wife's parts.