MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a monorail in the Magalies area on generally pretty dry dirt roads and paths (loose stuff on hard pack). It works well when clocking up K's, BUT does not offer too much traction on uphills and I had it on the front for a while and thought better of it, steering felt quite light for me. Thats what I through anyway...

• 2 months later...

continental mountain king ust 2.2 front or continental mountain king 2.2 ust protection front?

combine with continental race king 2.2 ust at back?

put the protection up front :thumbup:

I got a set of 2.4 MK's for 90rondt ea..the normal/unprotection ones,so just tried them,happy to say no sidewall probs YET :thumbup:

I got them front & back, i do flip them to the wrong rotation upfront ,always done this with alot of my tyres,gives more traction.(idk if its safe tho :whistling: ) :w00t:

• 1 year later...

So, I've noticed the Maxxis crossmark on my rear wheel is making a bubble, looks like it's only a thin layer of rubber lifting up. It's filled with stan's so it looks like the inner layer has sealed itself for now. Anyone had this before?

Any Maxxis reps here willing to give me a new tyre? =P

It happened to me after many Km's, needed to be replaced in any case

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Have to buy new tyres. Dies any-one know if the Geax Saguaro will grip good with a light rider? Need some tyres with good grip and cornering ....or should I rather consider something else? Need to find the right tyres for 3 towers and Epic....

Saguaro's will be perfect. Other tried and tested combo's are Racing Ralphs (Front and Rear) or Rocket Ron Front / Racing Ralph Rear.

Geax more durable though - will get more mileage from them...

Naas is right here. Sauguros are great. More durable (longer life) than schwalbe but then the rr/nn combo grips like stink, and their snakeskin options are better in terms of toughness. Their normal sidewalls are pathetic.

Nothing wrong with the sauguros.

Hi

I have saguaros on front and rear and they are amazingly strong relatively light very grippy..never had an issue an a mate has done rd rising on his while a friend had rralf..ralf wears so quickly it's really very costly tires if distanc is considered.

Good luck my support for saguaro TNT.

I prefer the Saguaro as a rear tyre & the Geax AKA as a front tyre. I don't like the Saguaro on the front.

Edited by d@vid

@blitz...

Everyone will have an opinion based on their experience-which is subjective to their style of riding. Sugaeros are very round without much cornering traction..

If you lean your bike much... You'll float like a fairy... Great for throwing your back wheel around... Not so nice fort your front wheel... If you stay upright they will suffice more than sufficiently.

On the plus side... They are one of the most durable..

Running saguro front and aka rear. Very predictable grip at the back, and been fairly happy with grip on the front, but it could be better. Saguro lasting ALOT longer than the aka. Very keen to try a schwalbe combo though, but expecting it to be pricey.

Specialized Purgatory 2.3 front and fast track 2.0 at the back....They are much cheaper than other brands...Used it at van gaalens marathon this year with no problems...Bike is new so can't comment on durability of tyres,but well priced....