MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crumbs, I couldn't get any of those tyres around here, well not in 26", only 29". So I eventually had to settle for a Specialized Purgatory for front and Ground Control for rear.

Looks like there was a run on 26" tyres around here. Don't know what caused it.

Edit: BTW, I see the new prices for Snakeskin Racing Ralph 29" is about R906 at Cyclelab.

Edited by Moridin

Solid choices :thumbup:

Now you say solid choice? I had a Nobby NIc on today at Tokai in the wet, and one of the guys I was riding with for the first time, who also had the same bike as myself(Trance 650B) but different front tyre.

He mentioned that the Nobby Nic is not a good tyre for the wet, something to do with the compound and them being not great in wet conditions especially going over wet rocks & roots and that they have a tendency to slip out from under you.

It wasn't much longer after this that I saw my arse having decided I needed a close up of the terrain. Front tyre slipped at a mini rock garden section, this was coming down Cobra. Also bear in mind this was also the first time I have ridden this section, so could have just been me having an off ride because of the rain.

Any suggestions for a front tyre, especially now that we are going into the rainy season?

for wet conditions, two things matter most other than your ideal tyre pressure: compound and tread pattern.

The stickiest you can get for that brand is just what the doctor ordered.

Tread pattern is the next on your check-off list: open pattern is best, so it can shed whatever mud there is.

If the track is really muddy, then longer knobs are also ideal. But if its wet, with mostly hardpack, rocks and roots, open treat pattern + sticky compound is all you need. An example of this middle-ground is the maxxis high roller. It has a low knob height, but when the stickiest compound is chosen, it works superbly well. Mr Minn swears by it.

Was just going to query this. I run Maxxis Ardents on the front, but have found that they don't shed mud well at all. Will look into the High Rollers, any idea where I can get them? Also I assume on the front will suffice? Have you a Crossmark on the rear.

I can't say for certain which store stocks them, so best to phone around: action cycling, revolution, olympic cycles, crown cycles etc.

If you want an intermediate tyre that can do it all, then try the Schwalbe Muddy Mary or Schwalbe Magic Mary. It's a superb all-weather tyre that rolls very very well despite the tall knobs. Take it in vertstar. Don't know who sells em in Cape Town though, as I've sourced my stock of them online. Meh @ exchange rate damages.

I have a brand new Muddy Mary if anyone's interested in buying it: 26", vertstar, folding bead, snakeskin, the whole toot. Make me an offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I have Maxxis Minion DH 2.3s on my freeride bike. However I mostly use this bike for all mountain/trail riding as well as dirt jumping. (I'm based in JHB, so it's muddy right now)

Although the minions grip like crazy in the sketchy stuff, they have a high rolling resistance.

Continental Mountain King 2.4s were given as a suggestion.

Firstly... are these a good option for the intended use?

Secondly, buycycle is selling Mountain King 2.4s for R175 each. These are the wire beaded not folding, but I don't run tubeless anyway. So is there any advantage to the folding?

Yes, a foldable (Kevlar) bead won't roll off your rim in corners as easy and the bead is much lighter which will make your centrifugal force less, making the bike accelerate faster and more nimble. Generally the compound of rubber used on foldables is also much better.

Yes, a foldable (Kevlar) bead won't roll off your rim in corners as easy and the bead is much lighter which will make your centrifugal force less, making the bike accelerate faster and more nimble. Generally the compound of rubber used on foldables is also much better.

Erm... dude. Look at the date on this post you jsut quoted... I dare say Patches is now further along in his understanding of tires.

Crumbs, I couldn't get any of those tyres around here, well not in 26", only 29". So I eventually had to settle for a Specialized Purgatory for front and Ground Control for rear.

Looks like there was a run on 26" tyres around here. Don't know what caused it.

Edit: BTW, I see the new prices for Snakeskin Racing Ralph 29" is about R906 at Cyclelab.

Moridin, Solomons in Woodmead (and online) has specials on 26' Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics for R199each

see: http://www.solomonsonline.co.za/mayp22014.jpg

Don't do it. They're not the Snakeskin versions. You NEED the snakeskin versions. And I think they're Pacestar as well.

I'm no expert but they're 26' AND ZAR199...

What's the deal with Snakeskin vs Pacestar?

Yes, I couldn't find Snakeskins around here anywhere in 26er. So I had to take second or third best which were Spez Control Purgatory and Ground Control. So far so good. I contacted Solomons via e-mail and they never bothered replying (Khalida).

Looks like you have to beg somebody around here to stock Snakeskins in 26er.

Yes, I couldn't find Snakeskins around here anywhere in 26er. So I had to take second or third best which were Spez Control Purgatory and Ground Control. So far so good. I contacted Solomons via e-mail and they never bothered replying (Khalida).

Looks like you have to beg somebody around here to stock Snakeskins in 26er.

Send us a mail - if we do not have it in stock we can order it in...

I'm no expert but they're 26' AND ZAR199...

What's the deal with Snakeskin vs Pacestar?

Snakeskin is the casing - the normal TLR (tubeless ready) aren't really strong enough to ride in the Cape with all our different terrain, and the Snakeskin ones are. They have an extra layer of protection on the sidewalls and under the tread. The TLR Evo has an extra layer on the sidewalls, but not under the tread.

Pacestar / Trailstar / Vertstar are the compounds. Pacestar is the hardest, vertstar the softest. Trailstar is the happy medium, offering a good amount of grip without wearing out too fast. I wouldn't put a pacestar on the front.