MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is not a troll but an honest question: does a more "aggressive" front tyre REALLY help in Gauteng conditions, viz. sand, pebbles, stones over hardpack?

Is there anything for the extra tread to actually grip on or dig into?

yes & yes & yes.

Bigger knobs can cut through the sand to the bottom more easily, as well as offer a bigger platform on which to float over it (sorta the best of both worlds)

Likewise with pebbles - burlier tyres will allow the knobs to dig through to the bottom more easily, and stones over hardpack - the same. Rather allow a single "spike" knob to hit bottom than to skate over the top of all of it. 

Only time an aggressive tyre would really lose out is on pure hardpack, really... 

yes & yes & yes.

Bigger knobs can cut through the sand to the bottom more easily, as well as offer a bigger platform on which to float over it (sorta the best of both worlds)

Likewise with pebbles - burlier tyres will allow the knobs to dig through to the bottom more easily, and stones over hardpack - the same. Rather allow a single "spike" knob to hit bottom than to skate over the top of all of it. 

Only time an aggressive tyre would really lose out is on pure hardpack, really... 

I agree with this.

If you ride real hardpack (not loose over hardpack), you don't want to be running a tyre with pronounced and widely-spaced knobs. You want maximum rubber to be in contact with the trail surface.  

Tyres for me are one of those things where we follow convention without numbers to back it up. 

We are supposed to have a fast rolling tyre on the back. But how much faster rolling at the cost of how much grip? From what I've been able to scratch the difference in rolling resistance between a racing ralph and a rocket ron / ground control is something like 5W. 

Compared to the extra traction and grip on any terrain that is not pure hardpack plus the safety net of working in wet conditions as well I think it's well worth it to have the more aggressive tyre.

I agree with this.

If you ride real hardpack (not loose over hardpack), you don't want to be running a tyre with pronounced and widely-spaced knobs. You want maximum rubber to be in contact with the trail surface.  

It bears to mention that the only place you'll ever find this sort of unvaried terrain is on pump tracks, BMX tracks & dirt jumps that are swept and pampered every day. 

Tyres for me are one of those things where we follow convention without numbers to back it up. 

We are supposed to have a fast rolling tyre on the back. But how much faster rolling at the cost of how much grip? From what I've been able to scratch the difference in rolling resistance between a racing ralph and a rocket ron / ground control is something like 5W. 

Compared to the extra traction and grip on any terrain that is not pure hardpack plus the safety net of working in wet conditions as well I think it's well worth it to have the more aggressive tyre.

if you're riding (proper) trails, faster rolling means fookall. If you're riding gravel roads, grip means fookall.

#justmy2c

It bears to mention that the only place you'll ever find this sort of unvaried terrain is on pump tracks, BMX tracks & dirt jumps that are swept and pampered every day. 

...or The Spruit or Sani2C or the average bike park (Modders, PwC) or the Cradle MTB loop or gravel grinding (e.g. Breedt's)...that covers 90% of most peeps' technical tyre requirements.

I'm asking because i find the fascination with huge knobblies a bit overkill...unless it's "met knoppies vir extra genot..."

...or The Spruit or Sani2C or the average bike park (Modders, PwC) or the Cradle MTB loop or gravel grinding (e.g. Breedt's)...that covers 90% of most peeps' technical tyre requirements.

I'm asking because i find the fascination with huge knobblies a bit overkill...unless it's "met knoppies vir extra genot..."

I'd hardly call that strictly hardpack - more loose over hard, but I could be wrong. Bear in mind even a small layer of stuff over hardpack means it's no longer just hard. And S2C would be very varied terrain. 

Also - bear in mind that a burlier tyre would offer superior grip in a far wider set of conditions than just hardpack. That, in my opinion, is why people should go for a burlier front tyre. Not even gravel grinding is hardpack... that's loose over hard. 

And what happens when it rains?

Edited by Myles Mayhew

if you're riding (proper) trails, faster rolling means fookall. If you're riding gravel roads, grip means fookall.

#justmy2c

Agreed. Hence the question. 

You ride both gravel roads and trails and have one mountain bike. Is the extra rolling resistance of a trail tyre significant enough to rather run an XC tyre or is the grip advantage on trails of the trail tyre (I'm not talking downhill tyre) significant enough to outweigh the extra rolling resistance?

You ride both gravel roads and trails and have one mountain bike. Is the extra rolling resistance of a trail tyre significant enough to rather run an XC tyre or is the grip advantage on trails of the trail tyre (I'm not talking downhill tyre) significant enough to outweigh the extra rolling resistance?

Yes. 

Unless you're at the sharp end and your skills are significant enough to overcome the lack of mechanical grip from the weenie tyre. Also - rolling resistance should be considered on the REAR tyre. That's where the majority of the weight sits when on the saddle and grinding on the pedals, and therefore that's where your rolling resistance concerns should be. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

go for the extra grip. It's more fun riding a trail fast (which the grip allows), than riding a gravel road fast.

once again justmy2c.

Edited by MTBeer

Yes. 

Unless you're at the sharp end and your skills are significant enough to overcome the lack of mechanical grip from the weenie tyre. 

I pondered this so I replaced my new Fast Trak tyres with a Ground Control and a Purgatory combo.

From my testing with any loose sand, rocky climbs or wet terrain the XC tyres are compromised at my skill level while the trail tyres don't feel slow to me and work much better in the above-mentioned scenarios.

If I could choose again I would maybe go Ground Control front and back but other than that it was a good change. And I'm not a hard-core trail rider at all, I would barely pass for a real mountain biker.

I pondered this so I replaced my new Fast Trak tyres with a Ground Control and a Purgatory combo.

From my testing with any loose sand, rocky climbs or wet terrain the XC tyres are compromised at my skill level while the trail tyres don't feel slow to me and work much better in the above-mentioned scenarios.

If I could choose again I would maybe go Ground Control front and back but other than that it was a good change. And I'm not a hard-core trail rider at all, I would barely pass for a real mountain biker.

I've just fitted Ground Control back (again) and Maxxis Minion DHF front (first time). Loving that Minion.

Thanks for the feedback.  

Fast Traks are sketchy as #### on the front...ground control is a great all round tyre, in my opinion.

I've just fitted Ground Control F2.3  and R2.1 the Grid version on new Arch Mk3, they felt heavier on gravel/tar and just ok on the single track. My previous wheelset/tyres X-King Protection F2.4 R2.2 on Arch Ex felt lighter and grippier.

I rode both wheelsets on Saturday and prefer my old wheels/tyres.