MTB Tyre Choices

patches

So my tyres are nearing the end of their life. Currently running Maxxis Ardent Race 2.3 on front (24mm internal rim) and Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on back (27mm internal rim).

Have quite enjoyed the combination but I feel the ikon is lacking a bit of traction so interested in trying a different combination.

Have been looking at the Vittoria range but a bit confused with what combination will be similar to what I currently have. I have read that the Barzo/Saguaro combination works quite well but then I have seen that the mezcal is even faster rolling so wouldn’t that be a better rear? Quite hard to find any reviews on the net because I think they have changed the tread pattern so often.

that is exactly what i was running tyre wise but my rear rim was a tad skinnier....

now running RaceFace 30mm rims and threw the AR on the rear and the new DHR on front...woohooo way better traction and confidence in corners...it doesnt roll quite as well but thats a sacrifice ill take anyday...  :thumbup:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is exactly what i was running tyre wise but my rear rim was a tad skinnier....

now running RaceFace 30mm rims and threw the AR on the rear and the new DHR on front...woohooo way better traction and confidence in corners...it doesnt roll quite as well but thats a sacrifice ill take anyday... :thumbup:

Can imagine the traction must be great with that combo but I’m racing XC. So, far too much Tyre, far too much weight and far too much rolling resistance for me.

Thanks for the response though!

Hi I am shopping for a new set of 29 MTB tyres, my current set-up is Vittoria Barzo front and Saguaro rear. This set-up worked well for me and I was about to invest in another set but then I saw they are now available in a "Cape Cobra" version. Anybody have any experience with the Cape Cobra's? How are they different from the standard TNT Vittorias and are they worth an extra R100 per tyre?

You can buy them from bikeaddict for R470 each

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/29er-mtb-tyre

Edited by Ruhkie

Can imagine the traction must be great with that combo but I’m racing XC. So, far too much Tyre, far too much weight and far too much rolling resistance for me.

Thanks for the response though!

thats why i kept my old wheelset complete.. so i can swop out if need be ..depending on terrain / race

• 2 weeks later...

My kingdom, my kingdom for a Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.3 EXO. Tried online, tried my lbs... no stock, and apparently nothing at the suppliers. Any ideas?

• 5 weeks later...

So my tyres are nearing the end of their life. Currently running Maxxis Ardent Race 2.3 on front (24mm internal rim) and Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on back (27mm internal rim).

Have quite enjoyed the combination but I feel the ikon is lacking a bit of traction so interested in trying a different combination.

Have been looking at the Vittoria range but a bit confused with what combination will be similar to what I currently have. I have read that the Barzo/Saguaro combination works quite well but then I have seen that the mezcal is even faster rolling so wouldn’t that be a better rear? Quite hard to find any reviews on the net because I think they have changed the tread pattern so often.

I've been riding with Vittoria Barzo (front) and Saguaro (rear) for a few months. I ride fast, rocky trails and have experienced several punctures with my rear Saguaro tyre. Grip is fantastic and I'd definitely recommend the tyres if you aren't riding particularly rocky trails. Unfortunately for me this tyre isn't working too well so I'm now looking for a stronger tyre combo. 

I've been riding with Vittoria Barzo (front) and Saguaro (rear) for a few months. I ride fast, rocky trails and have experienced several punctures with my rear Saguaro tyre. Grip is fantastic and I'd definitely recommend the tyres if you aren't riding particularly rocky trails. Unfortunately for me this tyre isn't working too well so I'm now looking for a stronger tyre combo. 

Ended up going the Barzo (F) Mezcal ® and haven't looked back. That Barzo is something else compared to the Ardent Race or Ikon and seems to roll decently as well!

excellent combination for low rolling resistance and decent traction.

Also consider a Rocket Ron front Racing ralph rear .

But for me the Rocket Ron / Vittoria Barzo style of tyre is great for the front when used on Western Cape trails..

Making tyres survive rocky terrain has a lot to do with riding style. The rider has to be light on the bike rather than bulldoze through everything.. Bulldozers break tyres

Are these Cape Cobra versions of the Vittoria much heavier than the normal TNT versions that are available locally?

Are these Cape Cobra versions of the Vittoria much heavier than the normal TNT versions that are available locally?

Barzo in 2.25 is 750g (Claimed)

Mezcal in 2.25 is 690g (Claimed)

Didn't actually weigh them. I'd rather have a few extra grams of weight than stopping and plugging or DNF.

they are the same weight, +_ 10gr.

All the latest stock Vittoria MTB tyres are Cape Cobra compound. If they not then they didn't come into SA via the official distributor, N2Sqared Distribution. Look for the mark.

they are the same weight, +_ 10gr.

All the latest stock Vittoria MTB tyres are Cape Cobra compound. If they not then they didn't come into SA via the official distributor, N2Sqared Distribution. Look for the mark.

Cool will look out for the mark

My Maxxis Ikon and Ardent Race are almost done.  Still considering either Mezcal/Barzo or Saguaro/Barzo.  Not looking to go too wide as my Crest MK3 wheel internal rim is only 23mm

Also doing more XC so would look at the least rolling resistance 

Cool will look out for the mark

My Maxxis Ikon and Ardent Race are almost done.  Still considering either Mezcal/Barzo or Saguaro/Barzo.  Not looking to go too wide as my Crest MK3 wheel internal rim is only 23mm

Also doing more XC so would look at the least rolling resistance 

How did the Ardent Race and Icon work out for you? I currently have the Barzo/Saguaro combo and want to try something else, they work great though.

My kingdom, my kingdom for a Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.3 EXO. Tried online, tried my lbs... no stock, and apparently nothing at the suppliers. Any ideas?

Did you try Droo @ stoke suspension. I was there the other day and there was a lot of stock of Maxxis

How did the Ardent Race and Icon work out for you? I currently have the Barzo/Saguaro combo and want to try something else, they work great though.

They both roll pretty well, but very little grip when going downhill

Also had pretty bad luck with punctures on these, even though they are both the heaviest/thickest versions 

Was looking at the Schwalbe Addix versions, but they are ridiculously expensive 

Edited by Zorro5614

They both roll pretty well, but very little grip when going downhill

Also had pretty bad luck with punctures on these, even though they are both the heaviest/thickest versions 

Was looking at the Schwalbe Addix versions, but they are ridiculously expensive 

I will probably stick to what I have then, I had the few odd punctures with the saguaro in the rear. I had to plug it about three times however, this was over a distance of about 4000km.