MTB Tyre Choices

patches

What fork do you have? The ardent 2.35 isn't that wide. Your friend is likely talking crap. He probably just didn't want to trade for the ikon.

Not at all, my friend is chilled and he approached me with the offer. 

I am running a Rockshox Reba RLT QR.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myles, I know the Ikon is a problem up front. That tyre doesn't have that much grip.

I'll try the lowered pressure up front and rear later the week if I get time. I also experienced a lot of hopping around when riding (probably because of tyres being too hard) compared to my friend who did not hop around and was more smoothly on the bike.

I wanted to swap out my Ikon with an Ardent Race 2.35, sadly it does not fit on my Scale according to my friend who I wanted to trade with.

I was pretty sad afterwards. [emoji107]

What fork do you have? The ardent 2.35 isn't that wide. Your friend is likely talking crap. He probably just didn't want to trade for the ikon.

I'm with Myles on this one, I know for a fact the Ardent 2.4 fits in the fork that comes on the Scale and it has bigger knobs than the Ardent Race.

It is at the back that the problem lies, the Scale frame does not allow for a wide tyre to fit in the rear.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

I'm with Myles on this one, I know for a fact the Ardent 2.4 fits in the fork that comes on the Scale and it has bigger knobs than the Ardent Race.

It is at the back that the problem lies, the Scale frame does not allow for a wide tyre to fit in the rear.

I'll contact my friend again. Would be great putting that 2.35 rubber up front. Thanks for the help guys! 

I'll contact my friend again. Would be great putting that 2.35 rubber up front. Thanks for the help guys!

No problem dude.

Dont throw away that Ikon 2.2 yet though , plenty of guys have finished stuff like the Epic on those.

They might not exactly be great for downhill , but thats not what your doing.

No problem dude.

Dont throw away that Ikon 2.2 yet though , plenty of guys have finished stuff like the Epic on those.

They might not exactly be great for downhill , but thats not what your doing.

100% agree with you there Ben! I am very impressed with them, currently 2,300km on both (swapped the front to the back & the back to front recently for a longer lifetime out of the tyres).

Wear on the road is also very good. I did almost 700km of just road loops in one month and the tyres remained perfect.

I am also used to the tyres on my bike, so I know where the limits are. They are great tyres!

EDIT: I am a noob. My friend mentioned that he meant it won't fit in the rear but will work up front. Ai, André.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Dumb question.Recently bought bike with Ikons and Ztr rims with cheap tubes.When I change to tubeless do I still have to use rimtape?

I took my new tyres (Vittoria Saguaro at the back and Vittoria Barzo at the front) for a 45km ride during yesterday. Although it doesn't feel as fast rolling when compared to the previous racing ralphs the grip upfront was hugely confidence inspiring - best tyres/combo that I've ever had and very chuffed with Vittoria.

I took my new tyres (Vittoria Saguaro at the back and Vittoria Barzo at the front) for a 45km ride during yesterday. Although it doesn't feel as fast rolling when compared to the previous racing ralphs the grip upfront was hugely confidence inspiring - best tyres/combo that I've ever had and very chuffed with Vittoria.

This is my go-to combo. They work great together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my go-to combo. They work great together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Bosbrommer, the Vittoria Barzo/Saguaro combo is my favourite aswell.

Very good grip, low rolling resistance and you get good milage on them.

I'm currently running a Schwalbe Rocket Ron on the front and I'm quite impressed with the grip, but I will be going back to Barzo when the Ron is worn out.

Finally got my 25mm ID rims :D

Had Wayne from Rapide rebuild my wheels using my existing hub, spokes and nipples to keep the costs down and boy what a difference they make! Much stiffer and more confidence inspiring....even got a few more PR's on the usual technical sections I do. 

There is much less tyre roll now, especially with the 2.4 ardent up front, which was kind of too wide for the original cross country like skinny rims anyway  :lol:.

With the original wheels I ran 2.2-2.4 bar at the back and 1.2-1.5 bar at the front depending on the terrain. That was Ardent 2.4 front and Ardent 2.25 rear.

With the new wider rims I have changed to an Ardent Race 2.2 rear as I was worried about frame space clearance and it seems it was the right thing to do as I have the same clearance I had with the old setup, which is about 6mm either side! It is not bad now that it is dry but when it gets wed and muddy it will pack up quickly!

I also wanted to give the Ardent Race a go out back anyway as it is a better roller than the Ardent and I can definitely feel it. The only downside is sacrificing the raw grip I had with the Ardent in the corners....have had the rear slide out alot since the change but getting used to it.

I have a Rockshox Recon silver and the is ample clearance all the way around with the Ardent 2.4...12-13mm.

I agree with Bosbrommer, the Vittoria Barzo/Saguaro combo is my favourite aswell.

Very good grip, low rolling resistance and you get good milage on them.

I'm currently running a Schwalbe Rocket Ron on the front and I'm quite impressed with the grip, but I will be going back to Barzo when the Ron is worn out.

How's the wear on the Vittoria Barzo on the road?

I use my bike to commute on a daily short distance (4km in total), riding road loops and going to the local farms.

CWC is having a nice price on them and maybe considering getting one.

How's the wear on the Vittoria Barzo on the road?

I use my bike to commute on a daily short distance (4km in total), riding road loops and going to the local farms.

CWC is having a nice price on them and maybe considering getting one.

That depends on what mileage you see as acceptable on a tyre.

I commute daily on my Mtb aswell 4km to work and 4km back on tar and I'd say about 40% of my training is also on tar. I've managed to get about 3000km's out of a Barzo at the front in the past.

Currently on a have a R/Ron on there and its also looking good at about 1500km's and its stil looking good for another 1500km's. This isn't what you'll get out of a Maxxis Ikon or Crossmark, but I love the grip of these tyres and I'm willing to sacrifice mileage for it.

If you're looking for good mileage rather stick with the Ikon's and just swap the front for a wider 2.35 model for better grip.

what was your previous front tyre? I currently have a 2.35 Nobby Nick and am intending on changing to the 2.25 Barzo when it wears out - just concerned about traction upfront. Running a wider rim at present as well.

Edited by cadenceblur

what was your previous front tyre? I currently have a 2.35 Nobby Nick and am intending on changing to the 2.25 Barzo when it wears out - just concerned about traction upfront. Running a wider rim at present as well.

I had Racing Ralphs front and rear - the grip with the Barzo upfront compared to the RR's aren't even comparable.