MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I did this as a test to see how it holds up. Surely if it cant handle higher pressure it will fail at riding pressures? Perhaps plug, pump to 2bar and a ride around the block is an option to get it to seal

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed before, but here is the correct way to repair a slash in a Mtb tire (if it is not too big / long)

Take tire of rim. Clean area around cut / slash properly (remove all traces of sealant or oily substances)

If cut / slash is long, use strong floss to sew up the cut ("kombers steek" works well)

Use a big patch (bigger than the area being repaired) and patch the cut from inside the tire. 

As soon as it has cured, refit tire, sealant, re-inflate, and go riding.

I have repaired a Continental X King and a Rocket Ron with sidewall cuts, using this technique.

But best option is to chuck that weight weenie RR and fit a decent tire, such a a Vittoria Saguaro at the back, or a Vittoria Barzo at the front. 

Fit and forget (just top up sealant every now and then) :whistling:  :ph34r:

But best option is to chuck that weight weenie RR and fit a decent tire, such a a Vittoria Saguaro at the back, or a Vittoria Barzo at the front. 

Fit and forget (just top up sealant every now and then) :whistling:  :ph34r:

Going this route now.... however in stages. Was running RR Snakeskins front and rear. Rear RR will now be replaced with the front RR, and a Barzo up front, and then rear RR will become a Saguro when it's done.

Thanks Myles. Would the beefy Ibex not be worn out from road riding? That, and would the 2.4 width still work with my 24mm Giant rims at low pressures?

Could you perhaps also comment on the option of saving a weepy racing ralph with a cut that keeps lengthening as I keep adding plugs? Last night I plugged it with 3 and pumped the tire to 3bar, 15 minutes later the pressure forced all 3 plugs out of the cut, sealant everywhere.

As a front tyre, not as much. Think of the tyres on a rear /front wheel drive car. The non drive side tyres wear far slower than the drive side tyres. Same concept.

You want grip. A consequence of that is slightly faster wear, but it's definitely worth it.

No problem with the 2.4 on the giant rims. Ideally you'd want a wider rim, but they're absolutely fine on my PAM2's which are 24mm internal.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Hey, what would you guys advise me on a rear tyre for my dual sus trail bike? (I have a Hans Dampf up front). I live near Table Mt, so always have to deal with steep, steep uphills & long sections of gravelly uneven ground. But I also love the out of town trails, getting low carving the berms & some jumping etc, so I guess I'm looking for a fair good all rounder with lowish rolling resistance, puncture resistance, good sidewalls, decent grip,

but MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL..... Decent life & value for money!!!! :thumbup:   

Some of my thoughts so far...

- Maxxis Ardent (Price bit high tho)

- Onza Canis 

- WTB Trail Boss

- Saguaro

- Hutchinson & Michelin (can't remember exact models) 

My desired width is 2.25 - 2.35. Not really concerned about weight. 

Presently trying out a new Racing Ralph, 2.25. Pretty stoked with it! :w00t:  

Rock Razor 2.35 pacestar super gravity. Fast rolling thanks to the compound and small centre knobs but has the magic mary side knobs, so you can still corner like a baws.

Kicks the racing ralph into touch, and is super tough as well

• 1 month later...

SEE MY POST ABOVE

Don't skimp on grip for the front. Hardly any rolling resistance when pedalling as it has hardly any weight on it, but when it gets gnarly you want it to grip. Sick of weight weenie tyres and "rolling resistance" when it comes to front tyres. Then people wonder why their fast rolling tyres wash out all the time...

Thanks mate.

Went for wtb vigilante 2.3 up front and wtb trail boss 2.25 TCS tough at the rear. Awesome combo.

For the hardtail I'm thinking of trying the maxxis aggressor up front and move the vredestein black panther xtrac to the rear

Edited by Rich990

• 3 months later...

I'm looking at purchasing Maxxis Ikon "tubeless Ready" do any hubbers have experience with them. Cuurently running Rocket Rons with tubes. One tyre needs to be replaced so was looking to convert one wheel to tubeless and eventually both wheels after the other tyre bites the dust. should the Maxxis go front or rear if partnered with Rocket Ron.