MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Not from what I've heard, despite the price they can have as much sidewall leaking /weeping as the non protection versions. Don't understand how such an expensive tyre from a top tyre manufacturer can make tyres like that but there it is.

Strange... Must have been a batch manufacturing problem or something (like Schwalbes ripping lugs off that happened about 2 years or so ago)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Vittoria Barzo 2.2 front and Vittoria Suguaro 2.2 back, the Vittoria's for my riding style is just awesome, very forgiving, I believe I would have lost some teeth if it wasn't for this combo. Most of my buddies are running Spez Fasttrack, good value for money but I wont do to technical stuff on them. I ran them and the sidewall just did not hold up as it should have.

Also running the Vittoria Barzo/Saguaro combo on my XTC,works much better for me than the previous Schwalbe RoRo/RaRa combo.

Will however not give very high mileage with a mix of tar and off-road use.For high mileage I havent found a better tyre than the Maxxis Crossmark,wich unfortunately give very little grip in any sand,loose gravel or wet conditions.

Yep. Except for friday last week, where I found out that I need a bit more time off, at least on the mountain. I tend to breathe VERY deeply when climbing, and that caused a bit of *** with the intercostals. I can ride, but if I do, and there's any climbing, I spend the next 2 days hardly being able to get up...

Long road ahead.

Spinning is fine (done a few sessions at gym by myself - keeping the HR at 170bpm and just spinning along) flats and descents are fine. Climbs (which most of my favourite trails have, to get to the good stuff) aren't.

Havent been on the BikeHub much lately,this is the first I've seen or heard of youre crash.Hope it wasnt to big and painfull,and hope youre recovery is speedy.Sounds like you should give the road bike some attention.

Havent been on the BikeHub much lately,this is the first I've seen or heard of youre crash.Hope it wasnt to big and painfull,and hope youre recovery is speedy.Sounds like you should give the road bike some attention.

Thanks bud, but no road bike anymore...

But yeah, just need to be careful until I'm fully recovered. No extended hill sessions and keep the HR below 175.

Slowly getting there.

Thanks bud, but no road bike anymore...

But yeah, just need to be careful until I'm fully recovered. No extended hill sessions and keep the HR below 175.

Slowly getting there.

As they say,all good things come with time and a bit of patience.

Rode the Spruit the week-end, and coming down a slalom section at speed (think it's called Delta downhill), I had a massive slide on both wheels, felt like 50cm or something, that was the closest I have come to falling, but not falling. Thank goodness I had a Nobby NIC on the front otherwise with the RaRa or RoRo I would have certainly bitten some dust. It slid, and then gripped. My friend behind me had the exact same experience as me, he also runs a new NN on the front.

Riding the NN at 1.4

used to run roro & rara back ... using nn front & rara back for attakwas, is it safe to run it at 1.4 ? is that front and back ?

used to run roro & rara back ... using nn front & rara back for attakwas, is it safe to run it at 1.4 ? is that front and back ?

Like Myles said, it's hugely a personal setting again, I'm a lightweight thus can run pressures like this. Also, even riding a dual vs HT will make a difference on how low you can go on the rear. For reference, I'm running 1.6 at the back and 1.4 in the front. Went lower and dented my rim once.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys

A little advise please!

Want to convert to tubeless. I have a Giant Talon hardtail 650B with Schwalbe Rapid Robs.

I'm on a bit of a tight budget, so have been looking at either the Specialized Ground Control 2.3 or Purgatory 2.3 for the front. I'm leaning towards the Purgatory with more grip, as I have had a front washout or two in the past. But still want something light and quick, hence the Ground Control option.

Then, I was given a Racing Ralph EVO, TL-ready (non snakeskin) which I am planning to use at the rear. I have heard different things about converting the non-snakeskin Racing Ralph to tubeless. Some of the LBSs say that it will loose pressure, and I will have to pump it up regularly, then I have spoken to people who are running the non snakeskin tubeless who say they have had no issues so far.

Has anybody got any experience with the above set-ups or any other advise.

PS. I will be doing the Namaqua Quest later this year, so will need something that can handle those conditions.

Thanks in advance

Hey guys

A little advise please!

Want to convert to tubeless. I have a Giant Talon hardtail 650B with Schwalbe Rapid Robs.

I'm on a bit of a tight budget, so have been looking at either the Specialized Ground Control 2.3 or Purgatory 2.3 for the front. I'm leaning towards the Purgatory with more grip, as I have had a front washout or two in the past. But still want something light and quick, hence the Ground Control option.

Then, I was given a Racing Ralph EVO, TL-ready (non snakeskin) which I am planning to use at the rear. I have heard different things about converting the non-snakeskin Racing Ralph to tubeless. Some of the LBSs say that it will loose pressure, and I will have to pump it up regularly, then I have spoken to people who are running the non snakeskin tubeless who say they have had no issues so far.

PS. I will be doing the Namaqua Quest later this year, so will need something that can handle those conditions.

Thanks in advance

I have or have had all these tires. The non-snakeskin Schwalbes I had, both had 'pin-holes' in the sidewall and for the 1st 2 weeks or so I had to constantly top them up until they'd all sealed. Even then it would occasionally leak air out the sidewall until I tilted it so the stans sealed it. Great tires though, and not as much of a nuisance as it sounds - but then I have a floor pump and check tire pressure most times before I go riding anyway. (edit. This was about 3 years ago - this problem may be fixed)

For the past couple of months I have been riding Spaz tires, largly because of the cost. I have an s-works Ground Control 29x2.3 (R570 I think) that I ran at the front for about 3 months. Can't fault it, it worked great, plenty of grip, none of the problems I was expecting from putting a lightweight tire up front. Once I wore out my back tire I moved the GC to the back and got a Purgatory 29x2.3 (control casing, R470!!!) for the front. Now I thought the GC had grip... The purgatory has noticeably more and is very stable and confidence inspiring, I haven't noticed the extra weight - and I'm a bit of a weight weenie. Loving this configuration - sealed with a floor pump on Arch Exs and haven't given me one hassle.

Edited by tom893

I have or have had all these tires. The non-snakeskin Schwalbes I had, both had 'pin-holes' in the sidewall and for the 1st 2 weeks or so I had to constantly top them up until they'd all sealed. Even then it would occasionally leak air out the sidewall until I tilted it so the stans sealed it. Great tires though, and not as much of a nuisance as it sounds - but then I have a floor pump and check tire pressure most times before I go riding anyway. (edit. This was about 3 years ago - this problem may be fixed)

For the past couple of months I have been riding Spaz tires, largly because of the cost. I have an s-works Ground Control 29x2.3 (R570 I think) that I ran at the front for about 3 months. Can't fault it, it worked great, plenty of grip, none of the problems I was expecting from putting a lightweight tire up front. Once I wore out my back tire I moved the GC to the back and got a Purgatory 29x2.3 (control casing, R470!!!) for the front. Now I thought the GC had grip... The purgatory has noticeably more and is very stable and confidence inspiring, I haven't noticed the extra weight - and I'm a bit of a weight weenie. Loving this configuration - sealed with a floor pump on Arch Exs and haven't given me one hassle.

Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

Think I will go for the Purgatory up front, and see how how the RR hold up. 

I wouldn't recommend the non snakeskin Schwalbe for anything, TBH. Almost zero puncture protection. Less than a Conti Protection, if that helps. 

If you're doing the Namaqua quest, I would not consider lightweight casings AT ALL. Seriously - that is the one place I would get the most durable casings possible, which means the GRID casings on the Spaz, and (in your choice of tyre) the Snakeskin Schwalbes. 

I wouldn't recommend the non snakeskin Schwalbe for anything, TBH. Almost zero puncture protection. Less than a Conti Protection, if that helps. 

If you're doing the Namaqua quest, I would not consider lightweight casings AT ALL. Seriously - that is the one place I would get the most durable casings possible, which means the GRID casings on the Spaz, and (in your choice of tyre) the Snakeskin Schwalbes. 

Thanks Myles.

I must say I was a bit concerned about the RR and its lack of puncture protection. Will have to reconsider.

I will probably go for the Grid Purgatory. I see there is not a significant weight difference between Grid and the Control versions.

Cheers

Hey guys

A little advise please!

Thanks in advance

I took a Ra-Ra Performance and converted to tubeless and had no issues with it loosing pressure. Ran it for a few months with no issues. Admittedly it was on my 29er and I was still very much a nooby and thus not pushing it.

As for the Spez purgatory 2.3, you won't  be sorry you went for it

Thanks Myles.

I must say I was a bit concerned about the RR and its lack of puncture protection. Will have to reconsider.

I will probably go for the Grid Purgatory. I see there is not a significant weight difference between Grid and the Control versions.

Cheers

There is also the Spez Captain which could be another option especially on the rear. 

Any recommendations for tyres for a 27.5 trail bike for rocky conditions? Currently I'm running conti x-King protections (2.2) at 1.7 and 1.8 bar (front and back), and they well and truely suck at getting up loose rocky climbs. Can not lower the pressure more as I'm a solid 97kg and it feels like I'm already on the limit of how low I can go...

I guess, from a more important point of view of actually trying to understand what's happening, can someone comment on the type/size of knobs required for loose rocky terrain in order to have better traction?