MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Rode the Spruit the week-end, and coming down a slalom section at speed (think it's called Delta downhill), I had a massive slide on both wheels, felt like 50cm or something, that was the closest I have come to falling, but not falling. Thank goodness I had a Nobby NIC on the front otherwise with the RaRa or RoRo I would have certainly bitten some dust. It slid, and then gripped. My friend behind me had the exact same experience as me, he also runs a new NN on the front.

Riding the NN at 1.4

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always bigger. 

Higher volume = lower pressures = more grip = less rolling resistance. 

Yip. I'm running a 2.25 Ardent on the front and a 2.1 Crossmark on the back. Perfect combo in my opinion for what we ride in Bloem and surrounds. As mentioned before it is a heavy combo but very solid.

I have a 2.25 Onza Canis on my SS as a front, although not strictly a front only tyre I am very happy with it.

I have a 2.25 Onza Canis on my SS as a front, although not strictly a front only tyre I am very happy with it.

yeah, I actually prefer it for duties at the back, but up norff it'll suit as a front tyre as well, with the right pressure etc. 

Maxxis ardent, how are they rolling resistance wise?

Ardents drift a little when you lean them over but roll quite nicely. Never got fully confident on them. Spez. Ground Control rolls easier and grips way better. For a front tyre, Spez Purgatory even more grippy and not noticeably more draggy.

I changed my half used Ardents for the Spez GC/Purg combo about a year ago and not going back. The GC at rear is quite worn now. Already bought another to replace it in preference to refitting the Ardents.

I ride mostly trails. Definitely go for higher volume if you ride a lot of trail.

Edited by JXV

im running NN TL easy up front with a Vittoria Saguro on the rear. im really keen to try the new Vittoria Mezcal G+  when it is available here 

I run a Vittoria Barzo 2.2 front and Vittoria Suguaro 2.2 back, the Vittoria's for my riding style is just awesome, very forgiving, I believe I would have lost some teeth if it wasn't for this combo. Most of my buddies are running Spez Fasttrack, good value for money but I wont do to technical stuff on them. I ran them and the sidewall just did not hold up as it should have. 

Ardents drift a little when you lean them over but roll quite nicely. Never got fully confident on them. Spez. Ground Control rolls easier and grips way better. For a front tyre, Spez Purgatory even more grippy and not noticeably more draggy.

I changed my half used Ardents for the Spez GC/Purg combo about a year ago and not going back. The GC at rear is quite worn now. Already bought another to replace it in preference to refitting the Ardents.

I ride mostly trails. Definitely go for higher volume if you ride a lot of trail.

The spez ground control ® and spez purgatory (F) on the new Roval 29 29mm internal width rims are absolutely BRILLIANT.

Just picked up an Ibex 2.4 for the front after I discovered my Magic Mary had a tear in the sidewall as a result of my crash at Hoogekraal 5 weeks ago. 

Looking forward to trying the monster out :)

So, you've been off the bike for 5 weeks?!

So, you've been off the bike for 5 weeks?!

Yep. Except for friday last week, where I found out that I need a bit more time off, at least on the mountain. I tend to breathe VERY deeply when climbing, and that caused a bit of *** with the intercostals. I can ride, but if I do, and there's any climbing, I spend the next 2 days hardly being able to get up...

Long road ahead. 

Spinning is fine (done a few sessions at gym by myself - keeping the HR at 170bpm and just spinning along) flats and descents are fine. Climbs (which most of my favourite trails have, to get to the good stuff) aren't. 

Yep. Except for friday last week, where I found out that I need a bit more time off, at least on the mountain. I tend to breathe VERY deeply when climbing, and that caused a bit of *** with the intercostals. I can ride, but if I do, and there's any climbing, I spend the next 2 days hardly being able to get up...

Long road ahead. 

Spinning is fine (done a few sessions at gym by myself - keeping the HR at 170bpm and just spinning along) flats and descents are fine. Climbs (which most of my favourite trails have, to get to the good stuff) aren't. 

Damn, that sucks.

I also had a unplanned dismount about two months ago and came down hard on my hands on a section of pavement (very embarrassing, as it was right a busy roundabout). Couldn't ride for about 3 weeks due to the pain and couldn't do any heavy lifting with my left arm.

Back on the bike now and it feels so good to be riding again. Probably the most frustrating part of a big fall is getting your confidence back.

Damn, that sucks.

I also had a unplanned dismount about two months ago and came down hard on my hands on a section of pavement (very embarrassing, as it was right a busy roundabout). Couldn't ride for about 3 weeks due to the pain and couldn't do any heavy lifting with my left arm.

Back on the bike now and it feels so good to be riding again. Probably the most frustrating part of a big fall is getting your confidence back.

yeah man, it sucks. Part of why I don't like gaps and drops is due to a crash I had 4 years or so ago in Tokai. The "nopes" (as I call them) are evil little buggers. 

I wanted the mountain king II protection & X king protection

Those should be fine.

Not from what I've heard, despite the price they can have as much sidewall leaking /weeping as the non protection versions. Don't understand how such an expensive tyre from a top tyre manufacturer can make tyres like that but there it is.

Not from what I've heard, despite the price they can have as much sidewall leaking /weeping as the non protection versions. Don't understand how such an expensive tyre from a top tyre manufacturer can make tyres like that but there it is.

My experience of Conti Protection tyres was not great.  Race King at the rear didn't even last a single ride before slicing open the sidewall, something I haven't managed to EVER do with any of my spez or wtb tyres.

After having to throw away a tyre after 20mins, I won't be hurrying back to Conti.