MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Sweet. Yeah, my friend is running it on his Specialized Rockhopper for a year now and the wear is holding very good on the tar.

Will give the Specialized Concept Store near Tyger Valley a call. Hopefully, they stock the 29x2.3 version.

My wife commutes and rides off road on the 26er version. We recently replaced the front tyre after 3 years. The old one is still good as a spare.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife commutes and rides off road on the 26er version. We recently replaced the front tyre after 3 years. The old one is still good as a spare.

Freaking insane! Next year I will commute daily to school and I use my bike to travel to my friends almost everyday, so this tyre would really be ideal.

I did contact Tygerberg Cycles and they said they currently do not have stock of the 2.3" version, but will be getting in next week. 

Got the Minion DHF for the front. 2.30. Rear is a 2.35, but I hope for the grippy grips in front to outweigh the 2.35 Forkaster. Took the bike for an awesome run down Majik and Lombards today. Feels perfect. So... tyres, sorted for now. Now, off to the hunt for the right Handlebar!! Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by Weevil_K

Got the Minion DHF for the front. 2.30. Rear is a 2.35, but I hope for the grippy grips in front to outweigh the 2.35 Forkaster. Took the bike for an awesome run down Majik and Lombards today. Feels perfect. So... tyres, sorted for now. Now, off to the hunt for the right Handlebar!! Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dhf 2.3 should be marginally wider than a forecaster 2.35

Got a puncture on my rear tyre (Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Performance, 27.5x2.35, Front & Rear) after some beating on the rocks at Helderkruin over the weekend. It's right on the sidewall where the tyre meets the rim. I tried to plug it but the Stans just keeps pissing out. Is it a write off?

What should be a good replacement? Something with a bit harder compound / sidewalls? Mainly enduro and Hakahana abuse they go through. Any ideas / suggestions?

@Headshot: How's the sidewalls on the Specialized Ground Control tyre? Just curious to know how they compare to the Maxxis Ikon, because I will choose between those two depending on the price.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Got a puncture on my rear tyre (Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Performance, 27.5x2.35, Front & Rear) after some beating on the rocks at Helderkruin over the weekend. It's right on the sidewall where the tyre meets the rim. I tried to plug it but the Stans just keeps pissing out. Is it a write off?

What should be a good replacement? Something with a bit harder compound / sidewalls? Mainly enduro and Hakahana abuse they go through. Any ideas / suggestions?

Sew the cut shut, then patch inside with a normal patch and then reinflate

And no. You don't want a harder compound. You want a stiffer casing. Those performance casings aren't the greatest of the bunch. Snakeskin casing at the least. Then trailstar front and PaceStar back, or trailstar front and back

Edited by Myles Mayhew

@Headshot: How's the sidewalls on the Specialized Ground Control tyre? Just curious to know how they compare to the Maxxis Ikon, because I will choose between those two depending on the price.

If you get the GRID casing, it's more or less equal to the Exo casing. And I wouldn't suggest getting anything other than that.

Control casing is paper thin..

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the site : http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com  perhaps this will help you too.

My weapon of choice for carving up the track are Schwalbe Thunder Burts all round, they are super fast and exceptionally grippy.

Another excellent tyre on the front (and on the reart is the Hutchinson Python Gold. Super Grippy but hard to get hold of locally. Your best bet is chain-reaction cycles for this. The Hutchinsons are significantly heavier than the Schwalbe's though. In my opinion the Thunderburts all round give you the best compromise between speed and grip. It's way grippier than it looks, you'll most likely run out of confidence before the tyre runs out of Grip...

Just got a Butcher grid for upfront.

Lets see how it holds up

Buther Grid is solid front or rear that sidewall is awesome.

Check out the site : http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com perhaps this will help you too.

My weapon of choice for carving up the track are Schwalbe Thunder Burts all round, they are super fast and exceptionally grippy.

Another excellent tyre on the front (and on the reart is the Hutchinson Python Gold. Super Grippy but hard to get hold of locally. Your best bet is chain-reaction cycles for this. The Hutchinsons are significantly heavier than the Schwalbe's though. In my opinion the Thunderburts all round give you the best compromise between speed and grip. It's way grippier than it looks, you'll most likely run out of confidence before the tyre runs out of Grip...

Exceptionally GRIPPY,really those things might be fast but grip is not its strong point. Edited by Bizkit031

Came across this recently. Useful pointers on the ins and outs of tyre design and how to go about making a choice applicable to your riding style

• 2 months later...

Good day all. I lost one off my maxxis crossmark tyres. Im looking at getting

1 new maxxis crossmark 2 lust

2 icon exo/3r/tr

3 ardent race

Which will be best for front wheel. I do races like nissan trailseeker. And some trail riding. I love going fast downhill. So do bump over rocks, roots, etc.

All three are around R400. P.S i weight 65

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Theunissa