Farms blocking access to public land.

BergForce

Now if there was less time spent on speaking **** on the hub and more time riding your bikes most of you hubbers would actually be able to cycle up the hill instead of pushing, or maybe you guys are just chasing your 15min of fame :lol:

Entirely irrelevant to this thread… <_< :lol:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you go up parel valley road and then go up the vineyards their is a road going around (to your left) and thats aove the nature reserve

Yeah, I remember cutting through there as a teenager when we use to camp up in the mountains - farmer was not a happy chap :)

all very interesting. However, if the road is a declared road and is on a 1:50 000 scale map, published by the government, then access cannot be denied on the road. However many farmers want the best of both worlds. HE wants the government to maintain the access road that run through his farms, but he does not want the public to use these roads, so he locks the gates. However, neighbourng farmers if the hear of this will simply lift the gate and proceed on their way. In most cases (at least in the Karoo) if you just close gates that have been closed behind ou most farmers are glad to let you transverse their land.

However, training on their land, using animal paths for single track ext, all which indicate NOT transversing the land on the declared road, is simply trespassing.

So before we condemn our swiss guest we should actually determine his intention and route across the farmers land. Maybe he was 100% in is rights and the farmers was 100% wrong and taking a chance.

all very interesting. However, if the road is a declared road and is on a 1:50 000 scale map, published by the government, then access cannot be denied on the road. However many farmers want the best of both worlds. HE wants the government to maintain the access road that run through his farms, but he does not want the public to use these roads, so he locks the gates. However, neighbourng farmers if the hear of this will simply lift the gate and proceed on their way. In most cases (at least in the Karoo) if you just close gates that have been closed behind ou most farmers are glad to let you transverse their land.

However, training on their land, using animal paths for single track ext, all which indicate NOT transversing the land on the declared road, is simply trespassing.

So before we condemn our swiss guest we should actually determine his intention and route across the farmers land. Maybe he was 100% in is rights and the farmers was 100% wrong and taking a chance.

Yup ...

AGREE!

all very interesting. However, if the road is a declared road and is on a 1:50 000 scale map, published by the government, then access cannot be denied on the road.

This is interesting. Are you sure of this? Any public sources to confirm this legislation?

I think throwing the rule book at Susi (or anyone else for that matter) would be extreme. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of riders (pro's,serious and weekend types) out there that have broken this part "and which forms part of the race route of any edition of the race" of the rules on many occasions.

IMO Its one of those rules that has to be written but once it starts to be enforced will create a real shite storm.

Totally agree, a life ban is such an extreme sentence buti don't think we'd ever see it happen - so it means didly squat.

I think their no GPS tracking rule is just as dumb. AFAIK it's pushed by Polar, who are bleak that garmin et al have stolen their slice of the mtb market.

Now if there was less time spent on speaking **** on the hub and more time riding your bikes most of you hubbers would actually be able to cycle up the hill instead of pushing, or maybe you guys are just chasing your 15min of fame :lol:

Already been for my 45km mud bath/ride..... now for my 15 minutes :blink:

Whats with all the smoke and mirrors?

1.Christoph has been riding the area for mor than 10 years,he knows where he can and cant ride.

2.He was TOLD he cant enter so he decides to jump the fence.

On twitter he comments how pissed off he is because they treated him like a child.

He's an absolute idiot.There are a lot of clubs and individually working hard with farmers for land access and building trails and all it takes is something stupid like this just to f%ck it up for everyone.He's arrogant and broke the law.

A few nights in a SAFA jail would of sorted him out.

Well said. I could not give a toss if it's a pro rider or not, unless of course, he needs a partner for the Epic and is prepared to push my bike with me on it! :clap:

Whats with all the smoke and mirrors?

1.Christoph has been riding the area for mor than 10 years,he knows where he can and cant ride.

2.He was TOLD he cant enter so he decides to jump the fence.

On twitter he comments how pissed off he is because they treated him like a child.

He's an absolute idiot.There are a lot of clubs and individually working hard with farmers for land access and building trails and all it takes is something stupid like this just to f%ck it up for everyone.He's arrogant and broke the law.

A few nights in a SAFA jail would of sorted him out.

I'm not saying the guy is an idiot, but if he has been told in a language that he understands, it is pretty ... uhhhh .... stupid to disregard the wish of the owner of the property. If he complains that he has been treated like a child because he did wrong, it would be equally stupid.

Also, while the majority of mountain bikers in South Africa treat the landowner's property with respect [read: stay on the trails & do not litter] there are those that misbehave. I have ridden in the Bottelary Hills area and have seen energy bar wrappers and empty sachets in and on the side of the trails.

I have ridden in Switzerland a few times and I have never seen any litter on the trails - public or private. Again, I'm not saying that Swiss riders do not litter on Swiss land [or SA land], but generally the country is cleaner that South Africa. Ergo, you cannot really compare riding on Swiss farms with riding on SA farms.

Against this background, it is easy to understand why a landowner does not want anyone, including a mountain biker, on his property.

Edited by ti guy

I'm not saying the guy is an idiot, but if he has been told in a language that he understands, it is pretty ... uhhhh .... stupid to disregard the wish of the owner of the property. If he complains that he has been treated like a child because he did wrong, it would be equally stupid.

Also, while the majority of mountain bikes in South Africa treat the landowner's property with respect [read: stay on the trails & do not litter] there are those that misbehave. I have ridden in the Bottelary Hills area and have seen energy bar wrappers and empty sachets in and on the side of the trails.

I have ridden in Switzerland a few times and I have never seen any litter on the rails - public or private. Again, I'm not saying that Swiss riders do not litter on Swiss land [or SA land], but generally the country is cleaner that South Africa. Ergo, you cannot really compare riding on Swiss farms with riding on SA farms.

Against this background, it is easy to understand why a landowner does not want anyone, including a mountain biker, on his property.

And if the question ..........?

Waiting....