• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh, lets go and dig up these rules.

http://www.cape-epic.com/content.php?page_id=31&title=/Rules/

Rule 13.7

No rider shall trespass at any time of the year on land which is not open to the public for mountain biking and which forms part of the race route of any edition of the race, nor will any rider distribute any GPS co-ordinates in respect of the route at any time.

okee dokee, so let's assume this is the first time that susi has ever trespassed on private land not used for mtb in any of the 7/8 epic routes. According to the rules he should be disqualified for the 2012 race? If he's been caught before then a lifetime ban is in order.

Of course this is pretty lame, and they would never dream of this. So the rest of us can basically just take the rules and wipe our butts with them, especially the folk who actually enter the race and pay their hard earned cash into the coffers.

I think throwing the rule book at Susi (or anyone else for that matter) would be extreme. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of riders (pro's,serious and weekend types) out there that have broken this part "and which forms part of the race route of any edition of the race" of the rules on many occasions.

IMO Its one of those rules that has to be written but once it starts to be enforced will create a real shite storm.

i find the sweeping statements regards cyclists riding thru farmers lands in Switzerland a bit hard to believe - irrespective of the country you find yourself in, whether in Africa or Europe, land ownership and access rights are governed.

During the Tour de france, many landowners allow folk to camp in their fields in anticipation of the Tour passing thru - it would be naive to assume that this is the right of the camper........

Since when do they allow 5th graders to supervise threads?

This is something I'd like to know too please. Matt ?

The rider is right that here we can ride on any land with our bikes :D

In SA with security issues i can see them saying no to letting guys ride on restricted land.How does the farmer know who is a legit rider or someone just eyeing out his stock?

Or better still, just leaving the gates open to let the 'stock' wander off.

Or better still, leaving GU packets and tubes for them to eat.

OK!! "Pro" rider and Swiss bloke, I know, they probably run "tubeless")

I wonder if the Bulls boys are watching this development with interest? They are hungry to win this race again… :unsure:

Bakkies on a fiets? No!!!!!

i find the sweeping statements regards cyclists riding thru farmers lands in Switzerland a bit hard to believe - irrespective of the country you find yourself in, whether in Africa or Europe, land ownership and access rights are governed.

During the Tour de france, many landowners allow folk to camp in their fields in anticipation of the Tour passing thru - it would be naive to assume that this is the right of the camper........

In the UK there is something like "Right of Access" through farm land, paths generally used by hikers or walkers as they like to be called, though sometime posh landowners like Madonna get a bit anal.

Here: we have no notion of the public space, let alone any right of access. And I for one don't believe in anyone's absolute right to own land.

Regarding Switzerland it is 100% true. The only places I have come across that you cannot cross are airports, but then again I've seen some where you can and they even have a railway style traffic light and barrier on the side of the runway....

There are zillions of official hiking, walking, riding paths, trails, small roads that criss cross the whole country, called "Wanderwegs". These are indicated by small yellow (sometimes with a red and white or blue and white stripes depending on the difficulty of the route) signs which are placed all over the place, either on a sign post, painted on the side of a building, tree, rock, road or whatever is convenient at the particular location.

These wanderweg routes cross through farms and often go right between the farmers house and his barn and it is 100% legal for you to ride / walk on the designated paths.

However in my experience the farmers don’t like it when you stray off the designated path.

Edited by SwissVan

I have always thought highly of Christoph, and to hear this is quite a shock to be honest. I always say there are two sides to a story, but I'm struggling to see a side for Christoph that could justify what he did.

I dont think it is necessary to be nasty towards him, but I am very dissapointed to hear that this is how he behaved, and he is very lucky that further action was not taken against him.

Sorry Christoph, I would love to think you were justified, but I just cannot agree with what you did. You should accept responsibility and make a public apology.

Daideron.

I feel very bad for your shattered dreams there!

I know what it is like to loose a superhero. Mine died when I was about 12. I cried for days (ok, a day, but you get my 'feelings' there hey?)

Good.

I wonder if the Bulls boys are watching this development with interest? They are hungry to win this race again… :unsure:

I saw eccentric posted here. Don't think him and the missus on el rapido are overall epic contenders though :unsure:

Daideron.

I feel very bad for your shattered dreams there!

I know what it is like to loose a superhero. Mine died when I was about 12. I cried for days (ok, a day, but you get my 'feelings' there hey?)

Good.

Like the peeps who think their hero cyclists don't dope?

Regarding Switzerland it is 100% true. The only places I have come across that you cannot cross are airports, but then again I've seen some where you can and they even have a railway style traffic light and barrier on the side of the runway....

The airport here has a fence and also the prison so i tend to stay away from both.Other than that all land is open and is only closed when there is hunting on the farms.Even the Dukes land is open for hikers and mtb.

I stay on the blue arrow trails so that i don't have to ride on the tar and horses are usually on the other trails and fresh horse poop on your back aint fun.

Edited by gummibear

and horses are usually on the other trails and fresh horse poop on your back aint fun.

Geez horse poop problem, know exactly what you mean. Always plenty of fresh poop around and then the 1000 or so flies that all take off as you come past....

I wish they would make the people walking their horses pick it up like the dog walkers have to...

Geez horse poop problem, know exactly what you mean. Always plenty of fresh poop around and then the 1000 or so flies that all take off as you come past....

I wish they would make the people walking their horses pick it up like the dog walkers have to...

Can you imagine how often you would need to dismount? It's pretty hard to see when the horse has pooed too…

I wish the animals at Groenies would pick up after themselves too… <_<