Other Road Users

Pink Floyd

Fellow Cyclists,

Can we clean house and attempt to make friends with the other road users. We tend to blame all other road users for what they do wrong and to us, but look at the photo taken today, 04/01/12 at 07h00, the corner of Swartkoppies (R554) and Klipriver (R556). This is a busy and dangerous part of the road and intersection, where cars and trucks join Swartkoppies from Klipriver, going towards the Lido. Unfortunately this happens on a daily basis with cyclists blocking the joining lane completely, totally disregarding other road users, their own safety and the safety aspect of a busy intersection.

Safe rides to all fellow cyclists.

post-3636-0-60527900-1325683288.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting popcorn....

The road does not look that busy to me?

Edited by Niner

Amen.

What wrong wiff diss foto, these oakes rides in da souff, you knows nobody messess wiff de oak in da souff :lol: not efen motarist

The road does not look that busy to me?

You right - it doesn't look busy at all. But then again, it doesn't take 10 cars to knock into a bunch of cyclists - one lonely vehicle on a lonely road is just as dangerous.

Nobody would stop/park their car in the middle of the lane like that, so why their bike and their bodies? And the thing with joining lanes is that drivers tend to look backwards to the road they are joining to make sure there are no cars coming, as opposed to looking forward for obstructions blocking the joining lane. A one ton+ vehicle knocking into a 10kg bike is a no contest win for the car - we as cyclists need to be on the defensive all the time for our own safety. I cannot understand why any cyclist, runner or pedestrian would abdicate their safety responsibility to drivers.

Nice one, did not think about thatlaugh.gif

What wrong wiff diss foto, these oakes rides in da souff, you knows nobody messess wiff de oak in da souff :lol: not efen motarist

You right - it doesn't look busy at all. But then again, it doesn't take 10 cars to knock into a bunch of cyclists - one lonely vehicle on a lonely road is just as dangerous.

Nobody would stop/park their car in the middle of the lane like that, so why their bike and their bodies? And the thing with joining lanes is that drivers tend to look backwards to the road they are joining to make sure there are no cars coming, as opposed to looking forward for obstructions blocking the joining lane. A one ton+ vehicle knocking into a 10kg bike is a no contest win for the car - we as cyclists need to be on the defensive all the time for our own safety. I cannot understand why any cyclist, runner or pedestrian would abdicate their safety responsibility to drivers.

Lots of people do park like that without the hazards on, espcially while people are being dropped off or picked up.

Lets just clarify, is this posting regarding a 1 ton car against a 90kg cyclist.....OR is it because the action irritates other motorists?

If it is because these people might get killed then the picture taker should have told the group that there and then, not post it here as "cleanup our act"

Lots of people do park like that without the hazards on, espcially while people are being dropped off or picked up. True, but they usually park within the yellow lane/shoulder and not in the road

Lets just clarify, is this posting regarding a 1 ton car against a 90kg cyclist.....OR is it because the action irritates other motorists? Both - them being safe is their own problem - no sympathy from me if they get knocked down like that. However, them irritating other motorists is a concern for me as a cyclist, as the attitudes of motorists change for the worse when they repeatedly see cyclists doing stupid and inconsiderate things - that can put me in danger.

If it is because these people might get killed then the picture taker should have told the group that there and then, not post it here as "cleanup our act" How many times have cyclists behaved badly when asked to be responsible, cursing at motorists? And I take it you recognise that fact, as your first comment was to go get popcorn!

Lots of people do park like that without the hazards on, espcially while people are being dropped off or picked up.

Lets just clarify, is this posting regarding a 1 ton car against a 90kg cyclist.....OR is it because the action irritates other motorists?

If it is because these people might get killed then the picture taker should have told the group that there and then, not post it here as "cleanup our act"

Same principal as complaining about service, maybe even more so thumbup1.gif

First address your issue to those you have it with, and then throw your toys out of the cot in public if you have to.

Throwing toys is a childish act, does not matter who does it, why it happens or where it happens thumbdown.gif

That intersection of road is actually incredibly busy, not seeing a car in the Photo is misleading - it is most likely that the traffic is stopped at the Red lights just behind the cyclists so the road ahead looks empty but in 30 secs there will be 500 speeding cars racing over the intersection from the cyclists back's, this is and always has been a major intersection and a very,very,very, busy road.

It looks like the photo was taken just exiting the slipway off Kliprivier at the old XUMBUGS track??, and if I am not mistaken a few cyclists have been killed on this road (Swartkoppies / Kliprivier) - I even saw a memorial stone for a killed cyclist near that intersection some months ago - People who live there will attest to that and the fact this is an incredibly busy road.

Looking at the pic and reading the comments regarding the traffic volume on the road, you have to wonder how many of the guys standing around in the left lane have any common sense?

Looking at the pic and reading the comments regarding the traffic volume on the road, you have to wonder how many of the guys standing around in the left lane have any common sense?

Ah, but you see, common sense is not the most common of all the senses :lol:

I agree with the OP - these guys are giving cyclists a bad name by acting like this BUT as someone pointed out, did the photographer (I assume the OP) tell the guys to get out of the road? I see that a more pertinent question that needs to be answered...

Fellow Cyclists,

Can we clean house and attempt to make friends with the other road users. We tend to blame all other road users for what they do wrong and to us, but look at the photo taken today, 04/01/12 at 07h00, the corner of Swartkoppies (R554) and Klipriver (R556). This is a busy and dangerous part of the road and intersection, where cars and trucks join Swartkoppies from Klipriver, going towards the Lido. Unfortunately this happens on a daily basis with cyclists blocking the joining lane completely, totally disregarding other road users, their own safety and the safety aspect of a busy intersection.

Safe rides to all fellow cyclists.

Gross stupidity amongst road users is clearly not limited to motorists. This kind of behaviour is stupid, dangerous and grossly inconsiderate of other road users (be they cyclists or motorists) Firing questions at the OP does not address the issue.

:(

Gross stupidity amongst road users is clearly not limited to motorists. This kind of behaviour is stupid, dangerous and grossly inconsiderate of other road users (be they cyclists or motorists)

:(

Well, naturally. You think these prize winners in the picture drive their cars with any consideration and respect for other road users.

Morons.

The universe turns people.