Advice for new bike

BianJ

Hi All

I am new to this forum.

Earlier today, I got myself talked into buying a MTB for recreational and occasional racing (bearing in mind I am a beginner), the guy doing the selling is a "serious mountain biker"

My profile:

Male - 189cm - 118 kg (hope to loose weight with the cycling).

Now my question - my initial advice is to go with a soft tail, 29 inch rims and spend in the region of R12 000 on a decent soft tail - Merida.

I would like your recommendations on Merida or Scott or Giant falling in my budget/weight class.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is so much to say.

Lets start with material:

carbon is plush but expensive and can crack and pop if dropped on rcks.

alu is the common material for mountain bikes. Very hard on the body, thus the need for dual suspension. (You only are playing to correct the material shortcoming)

Titanium works at least R8000 for the frame only.

Steel is the best material but has a weight consideration. However as you are a recreational cyclist this should not be a problem. Try Cotic, on-one, rocky mountain, singular, kona ext (even look for a retro frame). With steel you won't need dual suspension.

Next wheel size. a Major debate, but keep in mind a 29er has more momentum but needs more leg power to get going, so as a beginner this will be great for "touring" marathon type riding but could have drawbacks on trail and cross country racing (initially) However, make the choice and never doubt your choice.

Dual or hardtail? Dual works for 26inch wheels on a alu frame only. It does not work on a 29er or carbon, steel or titanium frame. Do this and you are ghay (wear white cycling shorts with your USPS shirt) and must move to Camp's bay or Craighall park. (If you Afrikaans then you will send your kids to Waterkloof Hoerskool as well).

Gears? Mtb is only 3 x 9 speed. 2 x 10 speed is for your road bike, the occasional pro rider and someone wo has never hear of Thomas Baines. It is a mountain bike for riding over mountains, you will need your granny. Don't leave her to grow old in an old age prison. Even better ask for a 11 x 34 cluster. If you rid in Sabie or any of Baines and sons artworks you will be grateful. If you are more a fringe type person, and still listen to ELvis, Abba and Queen consider a foray into the Single Speed (SS) culture, but be prepared to be shunned like triathlete (especially at marathon races) or worshipped like a Justin Beber (joking) when you ride at 24hr races. (Deore is the minimum but avio has been used as well).

Brakes? Discs. I don't think they make v brakes any more.

In conclusion:

Buy a steel frame (either 29er or 26er) put on 3 x 9 gears (or a ss conversion). Dress it up with a rockshox fork (Tora or better) and ride like you stole it.

If you live in Camp's bay and just love what Justin Bieber has done with his hair then buy a carbon 29er dual suspension with 2 x 10 gears, but just remember to pick up those white bibs on the way out.

Im also new to mtbing...why do you say dual does not work for a 29er?

Coz they're a bunch of tailgunners........

29er dual is good, very good (if you have the budget) and BIG, STRONG legs to go with it.

I'm looking at the new Pivot dual 29er as a race weapon. Looks unreal, will keep you updated...;)

Now where am I gonna find popcorn this time of the night :angry:

there is so much to say.

alu is the common material for mountain bikes. Very hard on the body, thus the need for dual suspension. (You only are playing to correct the material shortcoming)

Steel is the best material but has a weight consideration. However as you are a recreational cyclist this should not be a problem. Try Cotic, on-one, rocky mountain, singular, kona ext (even look for a retro frame). With steel you won't need dual suspension

Next wheel size. a Major debate, but keep in mind a 29er has more momentum but needs more leg power to get going, so as a beginner this will be great for "touring" marathon type riding but could have drawbacks on trail and cross country racing (initially) However, make the choice and never doubt your choice.

Dual or hardtail? Dual works for 26inch wheels on a alu frame only. It does not work on a 29er or carbon, steel or titanium frame. Do this and you are ghay (wear white cycling shorts with your USPS shirt) and must move to Camp's bay or Craighall park. (If you Afrikaans then you will send your kids to Waterkloof Hoerskool as well).

Gears? Mtb is only 3 x 9 speed. 2 x 10 speed is for your road bike, the occasional pro rider and someone wo has never hear of Thomas Baines. It is a mountain bike for riding over mountains, you will need your granny. Don't leave her to grow old in an old age prison. Even better ask for a 11 x 34 cluster. If you rid in Sabie or any of Baines and sons artworks you will be grateful. If you are more a fringe type person, and still listen to ELvis, Abba and Queen consider a foray into the Single Speed (SS) culture, but be prepared to be shunned like triathlete (especially at marathon races) or worshipped like a Justin Beber (joking) when you ride at 24hr races. (Deore is the minimum but avio has been used as well).

In conclusion:

Buy a steel frame (either 29er or 26er) put on 3 x 9 gears (or a ss conversion). Dress it up with a rockshox fork (Tora or better) and ride like you stole it.

If you live in Camp's bay and just love what Justin Bieber has done with his hair then buy a carbon 29er dual suspension with 2 x 10 gears, but just remember to pick up those white bibs on the way out.

Im also new to mtbing...why do you say dual does not work for a 29er?

It is simply a matter over over compensation. THe selling point of the 29er is that the wheels go over the bumps better. So why do you need extra suspension if this is true. One of two resons: Some one is lying about the 29er wheels rolling ability OR the rider is so useless that no amount of over-compensation for his lack of riding ability is ever going to help.

So the owners of 29er dual suspension (especially carbon) are either being duped by the sales pitch or are such bad mtb cyclists that they should stick to the road rather. Tough choice?

Now where am I gonna find popcorn this time of the night :angry:

Ja it seems like the Klippies might be kicking in early in Oranje tonight.... :D

It is simply a matter over over compensation. THe selling point of the 29er is that the wheels go over the bumps better. So why do you need extra suspension if this is true. One of two resons: Some one is lying about the 29er wheels rolling ability OR the rider is so useless that no amount of over-compensation for his lack of riding ability is ever going to help.

So the owners of 29er dual suspension (especially carbon) are either being duped by the sales pitch or are such bad mtb cyclists that they should stick to the road rather. Tough choice?

Me thinks you need to ride a few bikes first.

Waar kom jy aan al die k@k wat jy praat?!

you lot, dont let this turn into a 29 er debate amongst yourselves. Stick to the OP question.

What advice would you give ?

I would suggest if the bike shop is worth the advice, ask them if you can ride the bike round the block. See if you feel comfy on the bike. Do it with other models. And do you research to find out about the ongoing debate about 29er vs 26er.

there is so much to say.

Steel is the best material but has a weight consideration. However as you are a recreational cyclist this should not be a problem. Try Cotic, on-one, rocky mountain, singular, kona ext (even look for a retro frame). With steel you won't need dual suspension.

In conclusion:

Witkop het goeie raad.

Usually you will find better bang for buck when you spend the same amount of cash on a 26er as you would on a 29er. Same with hard tail vs soft tail. Read up on the differences. Also decide on the tipe of rides, styles and routes you would do. Read about what will work best for you. Make an informed decision and stick to your new baby.

Wave your money and loved ones good bye as you start practicing the best sport known to mankind!

Edited by P.A.K.

What a croc of ****, pls ignore Witkop as he is over ill informed!

All new technology is 29er based I was also of the opinion that 29 er was not necesarrily the way to go but boy go ride one, there are two kinds of people those that have a 29 er and are smiling and then the ones that want one! Lol! By the way I have ridden and owned hardtail 26, full suspension 26 so I have ridden them all!

Go ride a few bikes most shops have loan bikes and for that price range there is a lot out there!

Enjoy you will never look back!

You won't find a 29er dual sus in your budget anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you intend to do long/stage races and spend long hours in the saddle I would go for a 26" dual sus rather than a 29er hardtail. I'm still of the opinion that a 26" dual sus trumps a 29er hardtail when it comes to comfort when spending long hours in the saddle, even though it's not faster.

What advice would you give ?

Dont listen to Flotkop

Now my question - my initial advice is to go with a soft tail, 29 inch rims and spend in the region of R12 000 on a decent soft tail - Merida.

This should be interesting, what Merida 29er Dual Suspension can you get for R12k?

I did spesifically not use the word "decent" since that will be a relative term.

Not talking about a particular brand any longer ... but:

For 12k youll be looking at a entry level Dual Suspension ... meaning entry level components, entry level fork (coil), heavy frame and wheels, an overall heavy bike with not such great suspension.

Where you can get a much better specked 26er hard tail with top half components, air fork, lighter frame, lighter wheels, an overall lighter bike. The Merida TFS 900 springs to mind (R10.5K) ... with change to spare!

I dont (yet) know of any 29er Duals in the R12k budget?

Hi All

I am new to this forum.

Earlier today, I got myself talked into buying a MTB for recreational and occasional racing (bearing in mind I am a beginner), the guy doing the selling is a "serious mountain biker"

My profile:

Male - 189cm - 118 kg (hope to loose weight with the cycling).

I would like your recommendations on Merida or Scott or Giant falling in my budget/weight class.

Here is what I would suggest. It is a Specalized 26" soft tail with decent components for around R12k. If you want a 29er with full sus for that price you may need to look to a trade in or second hand bike.

http://www.thesportsbasement.co.za/p/34/camber-fsr-comp-26

Edited by Jimmyjames