Has the ABSA CAPE EPIC lost its appeal or is it just too expensive?

bolt67

I'm not at all involved with the race and I haven't ridden it, yet, but let's think about it differently.

According to some on this thread and other many others, it has become the no. 1 event in its class globally. Does it make sense therefore that every South African MTB'er gets to ride it and that it should be affordable to all? As a premier event, it derserves to be exclusive and the organisers deserve to get a return for their efforts. Well done to KV for creating the concept and establising a "world-class" event. Better than CSA have managed to do.

They don't, however, deserve to automatically get our cash and we have the right to vote...with our feet.

If there are better and more affordable events, then the Epic will face competition and have to adjust accordingly, but it may survive on reputation alone for a while.

Good argument...BUT

it is the average MTB rider's interest in this event that makes it so popular!! That is where the advertisers / sponsors etc . gets their returns from...from us suckers wanting to have the same products thta these pro's use...

My suggestion - make another Epic event available either prior of just after the main event. Make that race affordable to "Joe Weekend Warrior" and the Epic will stay the Epic.

This model seemed to have worked well with W2W and other bigger races...

I for one wouldn't mind doing an Epic under those circumstances...(not about the racing but completing the epic journey!)

After all...the infrastructure and planning has all been done (and already paid for for that matter...)

As a PS: A good friend of mine was the catering organiser for the event when it still moved from town to town...boy, after listening to him and what he (they) had to go through....to get everything tip-top ready for the next day, was just phenominal!! And THAT was what one paid for....Nowadays, with a basecamp - surely the logistical side are much easier to organise and therefore MUCH cheaper to run thna before??? So why the massive price hike each and evey year?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Slowbee, I don't think the international riders will fall for this much longer... Flights, acommodation, race entry etc. could easily run into R60-70000 if you come from Europe. At R10.26 for the Euro, it works out at about 6500 Euro, which is a LOT of money for them.

I agree, when I tell people here how much it costed me last they look at me with :eek: and I can hear them thinking "Spinneli" ex pat...

Without doubt KV has created a world class event which has become the biggest televised MTB event on this planet and the first mtb stage event to achieve UCI status. If I'm not mistaken somewhere on the CE site it once said CE is made for Pro's but allows the average working rider to experience an event designed for the pro’s.

It must surely be extremely challenging to continue organising something like the CE at that level and to come up with new and challenging routes that keep everyone happy and wanting to do the race. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately for some the global economic situation might have an influence in the coming years.

Personally I feel that the event allows for to many entries nowadays and these should in future be reduced, the idea of paying so much to sometimes end up standing or walking simply because of congestion on the trail irritated me :cursing: to no end....

My suggestion - make another Epic event available either prior of just after the main event. Make that race affordable to "Joe Weekend Warrior" and the Epic will stay the Epic.

Nah, the economy killed Epic (number one culprit)

The point A-B format being taken away, simply fueled the fire a bit more.

Can the SA Mtb fraternity carry another Stage Race? Where is the demand? Epic, Pioneer and Joburg2c are the only stage races beyond 4 days (correct?).

3 day events suit most people and remain the most popular. Can we handle more of those? The Pioneer costs half of what the Epic does, but costs are creeping up.

Both are super tough and would exclude many riders due to that fact. Is the demand here? A 6 Day stage race which is easier and has the social vibe of a Sani or W2W?

"My suggestion - make another Epic event available either prior of just after the main event. Make that race affordable to "Joe Weekend Warrior" and the Epic will stay the Epic."

If Grandstand Management put on another Epic for the Weekend Warrior, I doubt you would get it for less. Sani has 3 races using the same infrastructure, but the "Trail" isn't cheaper.

Edited by kandui

Can the SA Mtb fraternity carry another Stage Race? Where is the demand? Epic, Pioneer and Joburg2c are the only stage races beyond 4 days (correct?).

3 day events suit most people and remain the most popular. Can we handle more of those? The Pioneer costs half of what the Epic does, but costs are creeping up.

Both are super tough and would exclude many riders due to that fact. Is the demand here? A 6 Day stage race which is easier and has the social vibe of a Sani or W2W?

"My suggestion - make another Epic event available either prior of just after the main event. Make that race affordable to "Joe Weekend Warrior" and the Epic will stay the Epic."

If Grandstand Management put on another Epic for the Weekend Warrior, I doubt you would get it for less. Sani has 3 races using the same infrastructure, but the "Trail" isn't cheaper.

As I mentioned earlier, there is talk of a Berg2C(6 days) There is only a certain amount of people that can actually do these longer races. I know besides the money, there would be no way I could get the time off to do it.

I agree, when I tell people here how much it costed me last they look at me with :eek: and I can hear them thinking "Spinneli" ex pat...

"Volldepp" rather! :huh:

Jack, check the Trans Germany and Trans Schwarzwald out! I signed up for both in 2012 due to not finding a Transalp partner. Both races at around 400,- Euros or about 800,- Deutschmark if we go back to it.

"Volldepp" rather! :huh:

Jack, check the Trans Germany and Trans Schwarzwald out! I signed up for both in 2012 due to not finding a Transalp partner. Both races at around 400,- Euros or about 800,- Deutschmark if we go back to it.

Volldepp ??

Ja i shoulda coulda....procrastination is evil I tell you…

I need to get my arse into cycling mode again first

Reading this, its clear that, people don't think that the perceived value is worth R35000 an entry.

Entry fees are not determined by celebrity value or exclusivity premiums; or servitude fees, or organizer GP calculations.

All businesses will only succeed to sell at price that the market is prepared to pay.

The epic has turned into nothing more than a dick measuring contest, Would much rather do the DCM Pioneer which is not only a tougher race with a nicer vibe, its almost half the price.

How many Epics have you done?

The Epic is expensive, but you get a lot for your money. Just look at the medical fasility. 2 Orthopaedic surgeons available for 8 days, a fully equipped lab, nurses ,doctors, and other medical staff.

Quads on the route. Those 2 heli's don't run on water. All the other logistics like water, food, campsite, bikewash and not to mention all the areas for relaxing afterwards.

I've done 3 ( 2 from Knysna and 1 around CT). I must admit the old format was better, but I also think it cost more. Just my opinion

You just have to look at the DAKAR 2012 to realize that a lot of teams pulled out due to financial constraints .When money is tight people would rather spend it on a less selfish thing like a bikerace.The CE is a huge commitment in TIME and moneyI.It is like getting a partime job for which you pay

Three things for me:

• The fact that only the rich can enter.
  • The fact that you don't 'tour'.....its just being in one place and riding around. Any idiot can do that at home.
  • The fact that in recent Epics you had to push your bike more than you can ride it. I mean......challenge me please but don't give me a piece of veld and ask me to ($$(#up my self-payed bike. Organisers need to learn that it involves a BIKE and that we have shoes that is not designed to hike up trials.

I am very glad I did it when I had the opportunity. It was a HUGE adventure riding from town to town and over the 960km we completed we climbed about 16000m if I remember correctly. But EVERYTHING was done ON the bike. Nowhere was there a piece of road that we had to climb off and push our bikes. (Well, we did because we were woesies but the pros road all the way!!)

Learn from the Joberg2C boys.....they know how to make a tour enjoyable! And you can now enter solo.

Just my 2c.

I am very glad I did it when I had the opportunity. It was a HUGE adventure riding from town to town and over the 960km we completed we climbed about 16000m if I remember correctly. But EVERYTHING was done ON the bike. Nowhere was there a piece of road that we had to climb off and push our bikes. (Well, we did because we were woesies but the pros road all the way!!)

Learn from the Joberg2C boys.....they know how to make a tour enjoyable! And you can now enter solo.

Just my 2c.

All you say here is so true.

We climbed more then than now, but have to year how much "tougher it's become"

I agree on the J2C, great even with a super atmosphere.

Thx for the J2C steer - hadn't heard of this one. Must keep it in mind, looks very nice from website