Jonkershoek - maintenance issues!

flashcannon

That is if you are a Downhill Biker !!! I have offered to help build whenever they arrange the next build day for the XC trails but it never happens...

They have had dozens of build days in Tokai now but only for the downhill trails. I know it sounds negative but it is unreasonable now. Not to mention that there are 100/1 XC riders to downhill bikers at the moment.The Tokai XC trails are in the worst condition ever and are way over-crowded. Why can't the trail management guys organize some sort of donation from all the riders to hire labourers to help maintain all of the trails??

The US vs THEM argument! It makes sure NOBODY wins!

What you say about Tokai mainenance is simply untrue. The build days were fairly spread between all the tracks. XC people helped on DH tracks and the other way around too. The biggest turnout of helpers seems to be the DH and AM guys though. If XC guys showed up in proportion to their numbers, we would have been able to build trails from Tokai to Timbaktu by now. (Btw, I don't fall into any category but I help build when I can)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The US vs THEM argument! It makes sure NOBODY wins!

What you say about Tokai mainenance is simply untrue. The build days were fairly spread between all the tracks. XC people helped on DH tracks and the other way around too. The biggest turnout of helpers seems to be the DH and AM guys though. If XC guys showed up in proportion to their numbers, we would have been able to build trails from Tokai to Timbaktu by now. (Btw, I don't fall into any category but I help build when I can)

So what you are saying is that the new DH trail divert at the top, new jumps and maintenance just after Vasbyte roots area and the new jumps at the bottom of DH3 near the road is a fair spread to the minor patch-ups done here and there on the last xc trail through the fynbos area, that is a joke !!!

How do you calculate this ?

Edited by mtbsurfer

This just once again proves my point, the DH guys are few but always willing to help and friendly and do all the hard work themselves when it comes to building. The XC guys never wanna build, always complain and never greet you! Long live DH and AM even though we have no money and no sponsors or huge events and are always the "bad" apples!

Stop please. There will be Tokai XC build days but the mandate has been set to get the poor perception of a direct fall-line (DH), inline with what Parks and SANBI consider sustainable. If it was not done by March the DH trail would have been shut down.

As for repairs to other trails, if you exit Ruins, at Snake Eyes, you will see the material used for repair has already been positioned.

FYI, for the small percentage DH riders to XC riders, the volunteer turnout is reversed, 100 DH volunteers to 1 XC..

Will the volunteer system continue? Will riders continue to have a say in their trails? We'll see.

That is if you are a Downhill Biker !!! I have offered to help build whenever they arrange the next build day for the XC trails but it never happens...

They have had dozens of build days in Tokai now but only for the downhill trails. I know it sounds negative but it is unreasonable now. Not to mention that there are 100/1 XC riders to downhill bikers at the moment.The Tokai XC trails are in the worst condition ever and are way over-crowded. Why can't the trail management guys organize some sort of donation from all the riders to hire labourers to help maintain all of the trails??

Please also do not divide yourself from the downhillers, they are as much mountain bikers as you are. Like it or not, when the landowner looks at a damaged track, they see you and them as the rider i.e. MOUNTAIN BIKER.

this...

post-13110-0-15668000-1331149614.jpeg

...makes everyone look bad, and since it is ON the ROAD, it is not easy to conceal.

There is also a lot happening behind the scenes that will bear great benefits for all!

Please also do not divide yourself from the downhillers, they are as much mountain bikers as you are. Like it or not, when the landowner looks at a damaged track, they see you and them as the rider i.e. MOUNTAIN BIKER.

this...

...makes everyone look bad, and since it is ON the ROAD, it is not easy to conceal.

There is also a lot happening behind the scenes that will bear great benefits for all!

PoS - I see your point re: the lower DH trail along the road. All i'm suggesting is that the xc trails get some more attention as well, regardless of who does it. I look forward to the future plans and hope that they cater for all of us mountain bikers. As mentioned before I am willing to help with xc trail build days.

PoS - I see your point re: the lower DH trail along the road. All i'm suggesting is that the xc trails get some more attention as well, regardless of who does it. I look forward to the future plans and hope that they cater for all of us mountain bikers. As mentioned before I am willing to help with xc trail build days.

Here's an idea - why don't you help regardless of what "type" of trail is being worked on?

Edited by cptmayhem

All i'm suggesting is that the xc trails get some more attention as well...

"As for repairs to other trails, if you exit Ruins, at Snake Eyes, you will see the material used for repair has already been positioned."

There are only two trails, DH and XC.. a combination of both is AM. So your request is understood, Snake Eyes will be next.

Hijack off.. :blush:

"As for repairs to other trails, if you exit Ruins, at Snake Eyes, you will see the material used for repair has already been positioned."

There are only two trails, DH and XC.. a combination of both is AM. So your request is understood, Snake Eyes will be next.

Hijack off.. :blush:

Yay! Incorporating all those things we talked about?

Bennett is doing a good job at Jonkers.. but like all places with red tape, waiting for approval does not allow a business to flourish + it's dry. When the first rains set in, things will naturally change on the track and construction can start again..

Tokai should be getting water sponsored soon.. to what degree could be exciting!!

So next time there is a build day for the snake trails post it up ALL OVER the hub and everywhere else. Then we will see the ratio of DH to XC guys who turn up to build. Those trails used to be SOOO sweet a few years ago. They could be awesome again. And I found a route to link boulders to dh3 . But don't worry, I didn't build anything, just imagining...

this...

Hey whats wrong with this track? It is still perfectly ride-able :thumbup: . Just kidding, the point is to me Jonkers is great and the open single tracks seems to be in good condition, I will start complaining when a single-track becomes unride-able and no effort is made to make a new one or do repairs. If the tracks are in good shape they can go spend their profits on the can-can girls for all I care. As for the DH vs XC doing repairs at Tokai, jeez chill out people.

How do you calculate this ?

By having turned up for a good number of the volunteer build days over a good few years.

How does Jonkers work? Is there a volunteer group to help sort out the trails ? Is the local forester on board ?

but my goodness some of you guys can whine ..... dive tuck, tumble, feel pain .....

No Bennet (Ace of Spades) does maintenance and building there. Volunteers help him since there are no money available and he can't pay workers from his own pocket.

How does Jonkers work? Is there a volunteer group to help sort out the trails ? Is the local forester on board ?

but my goodness some of you guys can whine ..... dive tuck, tumble, feel pain .....

Correct on the over use issue. Our trails are being over used. I suggest that fees at Jonkershoek and Tokai be doubled to reduce the volume by at least 50%. They will have the same revenue as now, meaning the repair work done will last twice as long.

I am all for trail runners using our mtb trails. They pay the same fee and leave less of a "footprint" (I know some of you will try to argue this, but in general this is true).