Tennis...

'Dale

Some men could even argue that they are penalised by him more than other men..

The problem isn't sexism it is inconsistency.. and funny thing he is one of the more strict umps..

Which men? Any names? And by definition, of course, if inconsistency is spread along the male female divide, that IS sexism, which is Serena's argument.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which men? Any names? And by definition, of course, if inconsistency is spread along the male female divide, that IS sexism, which is Serena's argument.

Yeah cool ask Nadal how many code violations and point penalties Ramos has given him..

You do realise that one can be inconsistent with both male and female right.. it doesn't mean you are sexist... it means apply all the rules all the time..point.

But everyone is still making excuses for Serena's actions..my opinion he should've given her the game penalty a lot sooner

This is someone that is known for outbursts hell she was even booted out of the Tournament before for her behaviour.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Tennis/USOpen/serena-williams-list-us-open-implosions-20180909

Edited by Gen

Maybe there is inconsistency between how rules are applied between men and women, I don't know I don't watch enough tennis to judge. If it is then its something that must be fixed.

However, that is not an excuse or defense for Serena behaving badly. She is old & experienced enough to have known better. She did not need to react the way she did.

Next time you get caught for a traffic offence or is in trouble with your boss. Try the "but others also broke the rules and got away with it"-defence and see how much sympathy it wins you. Then you will understand why Serena is not getting any hub-love today from anyone but you. 

Yeah cool ask Nadal how many code violations and point penalties Ramos has given him..

You do realise that one can be inconsistent with both male and female right.. it doesn't mean you are sexist... it means apply all the rules all the time..point.

But everyone is still making excuses for Serena's actions..my opinion he should've given her the game penalty a lot sooner

This is someone that is known for outbursts hell she was even booted out of the Tournament before for her behaviour .

The argument here, though, and the proofs provided suggest the inconsistency is oddly... consistent.

And "everyone"? Where did I excuse her?

Maybe there is inconsistency between how rules are applied between men and women, I don't know I don't watch enough tennis to judge. If it is then its something that must be fixed.

However, that is not an excuse or defense for Serena behaving badly. She is old & experienced enough to have known better. She did not need to react the way she did.

Next time you get caught for a traffic offence or is in trouble with your boss. Try the "but others also broke the rules and got away with it"-defence and see how much sympathy it wins you. Then you will understand why Serena is not getting any hub-love today from anyone but you.

Now, Sku, where did I either defend or excuse her? My focus isn't on her nor do I care about how much love she gets - it is on the ump who seems to ignore the outbursts of men, as shown above, while Serena gets punished.

@Readsalot

You need to calm down.

Back away.

Place your keyboard carefully on the ground.

Now sudden movements.

Step back.

Step back now.

No one has to get hurt.

Drop the mouse. Just drop it.

Now, Sku, where did I either defend or excuse her? My focus isn't on her nor do I care about how much love she gets - it is on the ump who seems to ignore the outbursts of men, as shown above, while Serena gets punished.

Still the same thing readsalot, that does not make Serena's outbursts ok. She did break the rules repeatedly therefore the punishment is not unfair. If indeed some men do the same thing and get away with it there should be a push to also punish them as well, not use it as a let-off for Serena.

Unless you are arguing that it is ok for her to act the way she did because others do as well?

@Readsalot

You need to calm down.

Back away.

Place your keyboard carefully on the ground.

Now sudden movements.

Step back.

Step back now.

No one has to get hurt.

Drop the mouse. Just drop it.

No! Somebody on the Internet is wrong!!!

[emoji1][emoji16][emoji23]

More seriously, Serena was emotionally swept up.

There’s obviously a lot of pain going on in her life and as a black woman in a Trump era, sheez, it must be hard.

The Nike campaign is also burning brightly in the background.

Yes, men get away with a lot. That is the nature of patriarchy. Assertiveness by a man is defined as an outburst by a woman.

These are crazy times. ???? ????

Readsalot, I take it you watched the Serena match and you also watched all those other matches from that Twitter extract you posted in your earlier post?

sums it up perfectly for me:

In her outbursts, she invoked sexism and, implicitly, racism, and so managed to set back both those momentous causes. Williams came from a long way back in life, but she is now just about the most privileged black woman in the US, the most indulged, too. It makes it hard to buy the interpretation that this was some sort of stance against oppression. And it obscures the mighty, desperate and real battles that are being fought around the world in the name of both.

The idea of sport as mirror to and metaphor for society was long ago lost. At this level, it is rich, talented people playing games they love. Everything else is alibi. Tough games, demanding games, but games none the less. As Boris Becker once said after a shock defeat and the funereal reaction to it: "No-one died out there."

"I have a daughter and I stand for what's right for her," Williams said. So, when her now infant daughter one day perceives a slight, throws a tantrum, smashes up some expensive toys, calls her mother a thief, demands an apology and says that she will see to it that Williams play no further role in her life, she will applaud her for being a strong woman, yes?

No. Williams managed even to make a motherhood statement into a loser.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/serena-s-quadruple-fault-20180910-p502vp.html

Still the same thing readsalot, that does not make Serena's outbursts ok. She did break the rules repeatedly therefore the punishment is not unfair. If indeed some men do the same thing and get away with it there should be a push to also punish them as well, not use it as a let-off for Serena.

Unless you are arguing that it is ok for her to act the way she did because others do as well?

No man, Sku, read my posts. [emoji38] I've had to repeat in nearly every post that I never said it was okay for her to act that way nor did I ever try to defend her.

"If indeed some men do the same thing and get away with it there should be a push to also punish them as well..."

That's my point.

The evidence show there are. And that it's the same ump who lets the men get away with it. And that is what I keep saying - either the system, or the ump, or both are clearly allowing inconsistent and therefore unfair punishments by applying the rules only when it suits them.

No man, Sku, read my posts. [emoji38] I've had to repeat in nearly every post that I never said it was okay for her to act that way nor did I ever try to defend her.

"If indeed some men do the same thing and get away with it there should be a push to also punish them as well..."

That's my point.

The evidence show there are. And that it's the same ump who lets the men get away with it. And that is what I keep saying - either the system, or the ump, or both are clearly allowing inconsistent and therefore unfair punishments by applying the rules only when it suits them.

For interested sakes.. how many mens games does he umpire compared to women..

For interested sakes.. how many mens games does he umpire compared to women..

I'd really like to know as well. I'd also like to see some stats on his and his colleagues' decisions, but I'm way too lazy to do that kind of search. [emoji847][emoji4]

Let's hope Ramos also looks in the mirror and ask himself why is he often inniekak

He isn't often inniekak.. the players don't like getting violations when they break the rules.

Too easy to blame someone else than take responsibility for ones actions.

He is one of the few umpires that actually gives Nadal time violations.[emoji2960]