@#$%&* Inconsiderate Cyclist's!!

Wannabe

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely disagree, dude. SA has one of the highest rates of pedestrian fatality because the majority of peds are too stupid to do the following

Cross freeways on dedicated bridges

Cross roads at traffic lights, when the man is green

Look left & right when crossing the road

Walk on the pavement

Instead, they cross freeways, jay-walk on busy roads, heck, any roads, walk in the middle of the road at any time, and just cross the road without even looking.

That's why we have one of the highest ped fatality rates in the world. Yes, the drivers contribute to it a bit by sometimes hitting those fools who do the above, but who can blame them when they can't do anything about it?

I understand. So people can't manage to walk right, but somehow they are excellent drivers? Got it now.

I understand. So people can't manage to walk right, but somehow they are excellent drivers? Got it now.

Erm, right. You got that from my post HOW? If peds paid attention to the road, ped crossings, traffic lights and the ped bridges that were built to enable them to cross roads, inform them when it was safe to do so and where to do the same, ped fatalities would drop drastically. Fact.

Nowhere did I say that "they" are excellent drivers. We all know that there are some pretty piss-poor drivers around. You, however, were inferring that the reason that there are so many ped deaths on our roads are that the drivers are crap. That's just plain wrong. Yes, some deaths may have been avoided if a driver was paying particular attention to the peds on the side of the road, or was not driving drunk and therefore could not stop in time when an errant ped crosses the road.

What, however, would have the highest negative effect on ped deaths? (driving them down, negative means reduction in this case)

The answer to that, my dear chap, is that the peds need to take a dose of common sense and stay on the sidewalks (pavement, FYI) cross at the proper crossings when the man is green WHILST STILL CHECKING THE ROAD FOR CARS, or if crossing when there is not a proper ped crossing within 250m (conservative distance) then looking right, left, right again and then only going if the way is TOTALLY clear, not crossing freeways, and not walking in the road.

The greatest contributor to ped deaths are the peds themselves, as I inferred in my reply to your original post, and again above (seeing as you missed it the first time)

Again - yes, some ped deaths are caused by drivers mounting pavements or drivers just plain driving too fast through an intersection (but yet again - peds shouldn't be crossing when the traffic lights indicate that they should not - they're there for a reason after all - to regulate traffic, in case you were wondering) but the vast majority are caused by their own stupidity.

Take a case when a ped crosses a road when he clearly sees a speeding car, and thinks that they may just stop for them. Who, in their right mind, when seeing a car speeding up to an intersection (or just down the road) even if the man is green at said intersection, would cross in front of same said car? Someone without a brain, is who. Whose fault? The driver's, for not stopping at a red light, or speeding, for sure. But did the ped's stupidity contribute? Sure as hell it did.

As far as you're concerned, it seems as if you don't understand at all...

EDIT: A mate of mine was taken out by a bus when he was hitching a ride home from the beach one day. He wanted to flag it down, but it just veered straight into him. He was walking in the road at the time. Was it the fault of the driver of the bus that caused his death? Damn right it was. But if he had been on the pavement, and not walking in the road itself, he would still be alive today. As I said - common sense. It was lacking that day, unfortunately.

Edited by cptmayhem

This is worth a read: http://www.hsrc.ac.za/HSRC_Review_Article-131.phtml

It estimates 80-90% of road accidents and deaths due to 'driver factors', and speeding some 50%. Of course, pedestrians cause lots of problems themselves, but it's not as obvious as you might think: http://media.withtank.com/311fc32e73.pdf discusses poor infrastructure, planning and, of course, taxis as all part of the problem.

To me it's clear: people here drive far too fast, carelessly, and dangerously for the circumstances which surround them. If there are pedestrians around, why not slow down and take care? If there's a cyclist to overtake, why not wait until it's safe? This seems absurd to lots of people for some reason, yet to me it's completely obvious. You have to have a license to drive a car for a reason, because it's dangerous for people around you.

This is worth a read: http://www.hsrc.ac.za/HSRC_Review_Article-131.phtml

It estimates 80-90% of road accidents and deaths due to 'driver factors', and speeding some 50%. Of course, pedestrians cause lots of problems themselves, but it's not as obvious as you might think: http://media.withtank.com/311fc32e73.pdf discusses poor infrastructure, planning and, of course, taxis as all part of the problem.

To me it's clear: people here drive far too fast, carelessly, and dangerously for the circumstances which surround them. If there are pedestrians around, why not slow down and take care? If there's a cyclist to overtake, why not wait until it's safe? This seems absurd to lots of people for some reason, yet to me it's completely obvious. You have to have a license to drive a car for a reason, because it's dangerous for people around you.

+ 1 ...it make sense that should there be more obstacles around you should exercise more care, be that jay walking pedestrians, 3 abreast cyclists etc ...one would think that motorists would drive more defensivly and not so aggressively.

We (Nobody and myself) met this colourfull character yesterday on the way home.

We are on pedestrian crossing, the perp jumps a stop sign and drives just in front of us. We say "hey it is a stop sign". Perp gets all excited, pulls over car with brakes squealing, digs in back of car for whip and comes on over hoping for a fight ... he gets more excited and walks back to car.

His closing comment was ... well you guys (AKA cyclists in general) ride in front of me all the time and I have to slow down for you. I noted that I was not those cyclists he referred to.

This is a typical case of car / bicycle conflict that could have gone badly.

Anyway, if you travel this route look out for the perp and if anybody does want to look for a fight and you want a peaceful solution and then unfortunately things get worse, always take a pic or two.

H

eish, thought kaapstad was chilled vibes :eek: :whistling:

Edited by 2nutz

:eek: you sliced through that comment like a ZEF NINJA!

Dun say Zef ninja ..... waddy is a tool .. :whistling: :thumbdown:

Edited by 2nutz