would people be interested in Cheap tyre sealant?

brad890

Hi guys while out riding the other day with random things running through my head as usual lol, I started thinking about the home made tubeless sealant I made and have been running for the last 3 months (no problems up till now, touch wood)

would people out there possibly be interested in buying it? If i make like a 30L batch and put it in 500ml bottles? I'm guessing it would go for between R50 and R60 a 500ml bottle which is enough for 6-8wheels?

I'm just throwing an idea out there, I dont know if there would be interest for it? if there is a bit of interest, would possibly like to have a few people running it in the area for free to see how well it works before trying to sell of course?

disclaimer: This is just a random idea thrown out there

Edited by brad890

bombs not so good, see the reason being that the co2 causes a drop in the pH of the solution, which is basic in pH, like most sealants (which is why manufacturers dont recomend the use of bombs), the drop in pH leads to the ammonia not being so effective in keeping the slime runny resulting in boogers.

and like I said I've just started using it for myself, put in the tyres end of October, and checked yesterday and was still as good as the day i put it in, and have had no problems with punctures (so far anyway), have removed acacia thorns as well as LOTS of devil thorns and seals no problem

So how long it will last i dont quite know yet, thats why I said if there is interest, I'd like for a few people to ride it for a month or two, to have a broader view/ opinion if the stuff works or will just cause me to make some unhappy friends lol

I'm not buying the PH story!!

Air is ~80%CO2 in any case (so, not THAT much different in terms of PH effect from pure CO2).

Rather the freezing cold effect when bomb is applied - causes the sealant and rubber /latex particles to start to coagulate....

But still...if your sealant is cheap enough....then one can alweays change it more regularly and not worry about all these mentioned hassles...

Air is ~80%CO2 in any case (so, not THAT much different in terms of PH effect from pure CO2).

Completely wrong. Air is around 78% N2 and only around 0.04% CO2.

I've been mixing my own for the last 4 years now. No problems and similar to Stans. It is used on 4 MTB's and we've only had the odd puncture due to sidewall cuts.

The ingredients in your slime will it not have any effect on the rims or metal parts in a wheel spokes etc ?

I speak for myself but sealant is pretty cheap anyway.

A bottle of Stans will last me 9 months.

I use bombs to seal the tyre when refilling

I dont get balls???and after about 3 months I have to top up cause the tyre is dry from being used up in sealing all the thorn holes

Never have an issue.

Ryder (when I could get it at LBS!) was R40 for 250ml and was ammonia free.

Not sure if I'd go out of my way to pay R60 for 500ml - R10 saving for something I don't really know about, and will cost more than R10 in fuel / shipping to get?

Not saying it's a bad idea, but the value proposition doesn't work for me. Make it way cheaper, and the balance may change.

Completely wrong. Air is around 78% N2 and only around 0.04% CO2.

Absolutely correct Edman!!

You can see I did not have my cup o Joe this morning before i wrote that crap!!

I was thinking about that other discussion about N2 in tyres...and thought that was dubious as air already has so much N2 as it is...

Terrible confusion to make...

However, my arguement is still that the freezing from the bombs are resulting in the "ball" formation...more so than PH?? Maybe i'm wrong again....

What you should do, is make a small batch, give it to some willing hubbers to slosh around in their tyres. Let them ride with it and give you feedback, on when it sealed,when it didnt use with Bomb's and the condition of the rubber after 3 months of usage. i.e. a little bit of health and saftey research :)

Having just been burnt to the tune of R200 because a bike shop deceided to use Sludge, the wrong type of Sludge according to one bike shop, instead of Stan's. The wife had to get it all redone, cause the stuff would not seal. Not a happy bunny :cursing:

I will now not use anything but Stan's Sealant

Edited by Caerus

However, my arguement is still that the freezing from the bombs are resulting in the "ball" formation...more so than PH?

I'm not so sure this is the case. The canister gets very cold because the CO2 is converting from liquid to gas in a small volume. The overall temperature in tyre would drop, but I don't think it would be by more than 10°C or so. There might be some localised freezing by the valve but, unless it sets off a chain reaction, I think it would only cause a few balls to form.

Edit: It should also be fairly easy to test. Fill a spare tube with sealant, chuck it in the freezer overnight, install it in the tyre and pump it up with a floor pump (in case pressure has an effect). Spin it around, let it get to room temperature. Take it out and cut it open to look for balls.

Edited by Edman

edman not sure why or how, but using bombs definitly causes my stans to coagulate. Everysingle time i have had to use a bomb i can be gaurunteed i have pretty peace of sealant coral knocking around in my tyres a week later. Just using the compressor or floorpump I have never had an issue.