what would you upgrade first

Oden

HI I have a 2011 silverback saturn and got a extra R3K to spend on it, but i am stuck on what to upgrade first.

what would you upgrade first on this silverback and why

I am looking at the Shifters, and FD and RD all 3 to XT from Aliveo.

TX

I do not know I am new to MTB world just started in December, i little of all but more on trail to moderate technical track is fun too.

And this is no good to me I have a hard tail... TX any other recomds

Edited by Oden

HI I have a 2011 silverback saturn and got a extra R3K to spend on it, but i am stuck on what to upgrade first.

what would you upgrade first on this silverback and why

I am looking at the Shifters, and FD and RD all 3 to XT from Aliveo.

TX

From what I could see on the web, your bike has a 9 speed system at the moment.

So, if you wanted to change shifters and mech's to "new" 2012 XT you would also be forced to change the cassette and chain.

To be honest, if it was me, I would rather invest the R3k in some items you could possible carry over to your next bike. Maybe some really nice shoes, helmet, pedals, saddle? You wont recover your investment/upgrade on this bike, as the 2nd value in it's class will be very little compared to what you want to spend on it.

If it has a tapered headset then i would agree with capricorn that you could fit a much better forks, so if you purchased a nice upgrade you could carry it over to a new frame at a later stage, however most new frames you buy later will be taper based and then you would have to get either a reducer headset or lose on the investment.

So- to repeat myself, i would suggest get a 1. Garmin Edge 500 GPS if not, a great pair of 2. Shoes, if not 3. An awesome lid.

From what I could see on the web, your bike has a 9 speed system at the moment.

So, if you wanted to change shifters and mech's to "new" 2012 XT you would also be forced to change the cassette and chain.

To be honest, if it was me, I would rather invest the R3k in some items you could possible carry over to your next bike. Maybe some really nice shoes, helmet, pedals, saddle? You wont recover your investment/upgrade on this bike, as the 2nd value in it's class will be very little compared to what you want to spend on it.

If it has a tapered headset then i would agree with capricorn that you could fit a much better forks, so if you purchased a nice upgrade you could carry it over to a new frame at a later stage, however most new frames you buy later will be taper based and then you would have to get either a reducer headset or lose on the investment.

So- to repeat myself, i would suggest get a 1. Garmin Edge 500 GPS if not, a great pair of 2. Shoes, if not 3. An awesome lid.

From what we have said here and what people have told me at N/Farms i will leave it as is for now and get a new bigger better sooner than i think :thumbup:

I would also look at spending on some gear for myself, camelbak, good gloves, glasses, winter is also on her way so some quality warm gear. Your comfort is as important as the parts on the bike.

Ride that bike dude.

You will be looking at bigger better sooner than you know.

Why is he still growing?

If you're really itching to spend some cash on it then go tubeless first - you will want to spend longer on the bike (not off it fixing punctures). The forks are a good idea, a decent airshock (don't know what is on yours now) will allow you to hold more daring lines.

In reality you're going to get bitten by the bug, start selling vital organs/children/business laptops etc, to get the cash to buy your dream machine within a couple of years. So put a poster up of your desired toy, save the cash and ride lots.

Save the money, and keep riding the bike then save some more and invest all that in to a new steed later on.

I agree 100%