Rugby...

'Dale

Our rugby is currently in a much poorer state than the results show.  Have a look at New Zealand Herald's Rugby page.  They have a leaderboard with some interesting stats.  No Bok feautures on the Player leaderboard for Tries and Clean Breaks.   On the Team leaderboard the picture is just as grim.  On the team leaderboard we are ninth with regards to clean breaks, 17, where the ABs have 56. Offloads:  SA = 17; AB = 84. Tries: SA = 8; AB = 26.

The writing is on the wall.  If we continue to play boring 10 man rugby we will continue to struggle against teams that have a good coaching team.  We have no variation in our play.  Our backline is clueless when they get to ball. They have not been trained to take the gap, but rather to force another phase of tight play.  The stats show that clearly if you look at the stats for clean breaks and defenders beaten.

EDIT:  For those not able to find the page: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/statscentre.cfm

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting and revealing stats there, Moridin

Yesterday's decision making and execution underlines that state of play

Back from the DC event

Catching up on ruggers

So, Ireland defeats two S hemisphere giants in SA and Oz

With very smart and attractive play

Cool to see

Back from the DC event

Catching up on ruggers

So, Ireland defeats two S hemisphere giants in SA and Oz

With very smart and attractive play

Cool to see

They have a clever coach who neutralises the opponent's strengths and attack them at their weakest spot.  Notice how against us they always had 2 players on Duane as soon as he touched the ball.

However, there were times that I thought they got away with murder at the breakdowns in the match against Oz, as well as a lot of their lineout throws were skew.  The ref only picked that up late in the game.

Edited by Moridin

the latest bulls fashion statement. have they decided that cleaning up vomit each year is too much like hard work?

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/330/e165a6cde9794f53b2017f6d12094372.jpg

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/330/b8940411036442c7aead3a069704125f.jpg

Our rugby is currently in a much poorer state than the results show.  Have a look at New Zealand Herald's Rugby page.  They have a leaderboard with some interesting stats.  No Bok feautures on the Player leaderboard for Tries and Clean Breaks.   On the Team leaderboard the picture is just as grim.  On the team leaderboard we are ninth with regards to clean breaks, 17, where the ABs have 56. Offloads:  SA = 17; AB = 84. Tries: SA = 8; AB = 26.

such basic stats, wouldn't read much into it. they look at a lot more detailed data, than simply 'tries scored/clean breaks'. [but in saying that, I don't think we were that far behind the ABs in the tri nations this year - if they lost the game they houdini'd to a draw with oz, and morne steyn kicked the blerrie ball out it wouldn't have been ours].

such basic stats, wouldn't read much into it. they look at a lot more detailed data, than simply 'tries scored/clean breaks'. [but in saying that, I don't think we were that far behind the ABs in the tri nations this year - if they lost the game they houdini'd to a draw with oz, and morne steyn kicked the blerrie ball out it wouldn't have been ours].

I Agree with the above.

Look at the opposition played against as well.

Doubt any team can compare to the kiwis on any stats and that is why they are the best by a country mile.

but compare us to numbers 3 and 4 and the opposition we are all playing against.

And Wales nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...

2/4 for the Bokkies

Hmmm...

Lotta work to do

Hopefully, Jeanne dV can make it to the Cup

Poor performance from Boks, even with a number questionable of ref calls they should have performed better.  2/4 requires a lot of work by Meyer, the key players were kept out of the currie cup and rested so we cannot blame over played as a reason.

And Wales nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...

2/4 for the Bokkies

Hmmm...

Lotta work to do

Hopefully, Jeanne dV can make it to the Cup

JdV's injury looked HORRIFIC!! I might be mistaken because they only showed it once briefly, but I saw his toes touch his groin!!  :eek:  

I'm angry tonight.

Lambie is not our #1 flyhalf.

Hougaard has no place in the squad.

Coenie is not a starting tighthead.

We lack a fetcher who can contest at the breakdown and it's not Coetzee.

Enjoy the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour tomorrow!!  :cursing:

I want to say I told you so.  But it would feel so empty.  I sommer cursed Hougaard and his next 3 generations after that stunt he pulled with the penalty.  And the pretty poor cleanout at the scrum 5 meters from their line.  Why is our support play so poor?  That break that Etsebeth made, there was absolutely nobody with him, else it would have been a try.

The problem is that we play to the breakdown, but then don't commit players to it.  Very easy to defend against.

Edited by Moridin

There was not one area where we excelled or dominated on this tour. We keep on kicking away good possession and if we cannot score from a driving mall, we simply play for a penalty. I think HM is leaving Europe with much more questions than answers. Hopefully he solicits some help with his one dimensional game plan before the World Cup.

One thing you cannot accuse SA rugby players of (generally) is having intelligence, vision, discipline and skill at the highest level.  Talent, courage, brute force, selfishness and red mist we have in over supply.. 

The Aussies and All Blacks have said for years that the Boks go to ground too easily at tackle time, giving opposition fetchers ample opportunity to steal the ball. Wales, Ireland and England (at times) made light work of turning the ball over at the rucks.

Yesterday the Boks looked like light weights in a heavy weight contest. Driven back in the tackle, ruck, maul and scrum. Also noticed when Lambie kicked from the halfway line, half the team were standing around watching him kick instead of following up. He converted, so it didn't make a difference, but makes you think this was a case of the team just going through the motions.

I made a point of watching the All Blacks at the breakdown this passed season. Two players (max) tackling with McCaw waiting to "steal" it (legally/illegally). If the opposition had two or more in arms length of the ball carrier, then the All Blacks wouldn't commit more then one to tackle, and then wouldn't try turn the ball over. That way, they would eventually end up in a position of outnumbering the opposition at another phase, and in a position to turn the ball over at the breakdown.

I've never switched channels, ever, before the end of the game, until yesterday. I called a Welsh win on Superbru by 1, because of the way the Welsh played against the All Blacks last week, and after seeing a below average performance on this Tour from the Boks.

Thank heavens for Loadshedding. Saved me from watching this fiasco.

Hehehe

It was rof hey

Errors, erros, errors

But Dwayne 'Vrieskas' Vermeulen was awesome yet again.

He was in another class.