Cape Pioneer Trek 2012 Route

GLuvsMtb

From the Cape Pioneer Trek Newsletter #2

"The most exciting news will certainly be the promise made by Henco Rademeyer (Dryland Event Management) that walking will be kept to a minimum during the seven days of racing.

"We have decided to shorten the stages. This means that the middle markers will race, at the most, five to six hours per day instead of the previous eight and more hours."

It would be interesting to find out how Dryland came to the conclusion that the 2011 route was way too tough for the middle of the pack mountain biker.

I must say that I am tempted to tackle this again, but I will wait until the 2012 route is launched.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

possibly a way to get more people to enter ? Route is easier and so attracts more people ?

I agree. The event has not really grown in the last 4 years. Lets see what the figures for 2012 looks like.

The event has so much potential. I didn't think the 2011 CPT was tougher than the 2010 route or the 2011 Epic. Perhaps there isn't a market for 2 "hardcore" Stage races over so many days? But then again, The Pioneer wants to add a Prologue.

Edited by kandui

• 3 months later...

Just entered.

Apart from GBU, is anyone else doing this? I'm quite keen it give it a bash, perhaps with my wife. Gonna see if I can rustle up a sponser.

As i understand there are no cutoff times either and you can ride as a individuel.I have given up on doing the epic .I have entered this race as a solo rider and the jberg2c

Mmmm dunno so much, the appeal of this race was that it is as tough if not tougher than the epic.Given the choice I would rather do the joberg2c imo.

I'm waiting for the route launch on this one. I like that they are promising shorter days. Don't think that it will be easy though.

Getting into a cock-fight with the Epic on who could do the tougher race definately did nothing to grow the event.

I'm waiting for the route launch on this one. I like that they are promising shorter days. Don't think that it will be easy though.

Getting into a cock-fight with the Epic on who could do the tougher race definately did nothing to grow the event.

Even if they reduce it to a 20k TT + 6 days of standard marathon distance of +-75k (which i doubt they will do) it'll still be hard and therefore worthwhile.

Route launch is on Thursday?

Whohoo

Route looks great. Glad that is SEEMS easier than last year - I am not in the shape I wanna be!! But this is the Klein Karoo, so it will still be Epic Difficult.

I love the Swartbergpass, so cannot wait for stage 2!!!

Apart from GBU, is anyone else doing this? I'm quite keen it give it a bash, perhaps with my wife. Gonna see if I can rustle up a sponser.

Me and a mate is planning on doing this. Luckily we have already lined up a possible sponsor, so we must now simply enter and get the training done. Going to be awesome.

Here's the link for the 2012 route :)

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/route

THE ROUTE - 2012

Major changes to the design philosophy of the route will be implemented in this year – the emphasis are on riding quality that still embraces the pioneering spirit of this amazing race. Shorter stages, flowing smooth single track, undulating scenic jeep track, and visits to the iconic mountains and valleys only the Klein Karoo can offer, lies ahead.

In 2012 the Pioneer team brings you a route to savor, four years of scouting and exploring has resulted in this, the best route by far. We are including icons like the World Heritage site of the mighty Swartberg Mountain and the leg wobbling sheer drop down cliff faces of Meiringspoort – once again we will explore the arid semi desert region to north near Prince Albert, the undulating mountainous Klein Karoo and the lush forests of the Garden Route coast.

Highlights definitely include the pristine single track of MTB Destinations.com and Limerick, the out of category mountain top finish on the majestic Swartberg Mountain with R 100 000 going to the stage winners and finally, the Kammanassie, a desolate valley, nestled in the folds of the mighty Kammassie mountain range, a remote secluded and forgotten place…

2012 emphasizes enjoyment, although tough, always rewarding – the journey continues.

Prologue

Start & Finish: Buffelsdrift Game Lodge, Oudtshoorn.

Distance: 15 km

Total vertical ascent: 310m

A new design with a rewarding finish – the prologue at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge & MTB destinations.com offers some of the best single-track around, sculptured of years, smoothness guaranteed, a day to cherish… The start at the lodge take riders through the beautiful and unspoilt Buffelsdrift Reserve where rhino, buffalo, hippopotamus and various indigenous antelope roam free – even elephant and giraffe are also to be seen.

The single-track awaits…, short easy climbs with exhilarating smooth and fast descents – this day will put you in just the right spirit for the journey that lies ahead.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/route/2012_prologue.jpg

Stage 1

Start: Buffelsdrift Game Lodge, Oudtshoorn.

Finish: Calitzdorp High School, Calitzdorp.

Distance: 103 km

Total vertical ascent: 1720m

The capital of the Klein Karoo, and ostrich capital of the world, Oudtshoorn, was the obvious venue to start this journey. Flanked by the Outeniqua and Swartberg mountains, this town on the banks of the Grobbelaars River, will also host the riders on their last stage.

Riders head westwards, through Lategansvlei, onto Buffelskloof towards the Red Stone formations of Kruisrivier, to sample some of your first single-track riding and meet up with friends and family at the first spectator point.

Jeep track flows westwards through the Besemkop Private Wildlife Reserve onto the Groenfontein dam and here the world famous Port producing vines of this quaint town and its people await you.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/route/2012_stage_1.jpg

Stage 2

Start: Calitzdorp High School, Calitzdorp.

Finish: Zwartberg High School, Prince Albert.

Distance: 85 km

Total vertical ascent: 2760m

We leave the village of Calitzdorp, in a northerly direction, and immediately the jeep tracks of Besemkop reserve appear again, hopefully the wildlife will be around for this spectacle. The flowing tracks make way for some undulating narrow gravel roads towards Groenfontein.

The farmlands that line the southern foothills of the majestic Swartberg Mountains, keep riders busy, as they approach the riding highlight of the day – the single track at Limerick, smooth and easy, the descent towards Lategansvlei marks the start of the showdown that waits….the water point here will ease the thoughts of the climb ahead – a monster 1100m vertical ascent over roughly 12 km. Here the fight to the top starts, the winning team walking away with the richest stage prize money in South African cycle history, a whopping R100 000!

After negotiating this obstacle, and also the hardest day of this years’ race, riders head down the northerly descent of this imposing mountain, towards the beautiful olive producing town of Prince Albert.

…with a name like this you can only expect blue blood treatment…

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/route/2012_stage_2.jpg

Stage 3

Start: Zwartberg High School, Prince Albert.

Finish: NG Church grounds, De Rust.

Distance: 109 km

Total vertical ascent: 1555m

A change of philosophy – instead of heading back to the mountains, riders enter the southern sections of the Great Karoo – they say things don’t change over here, some tortoises have been known to use the same watering holes for the last 150 years!

As riders get used to the flats of the first 15 km, they take a sharp southerly turn into the Karoo bossie veld, traversing typical Karoo “tafelkoppe”. Who would have ever thought you could top 1200m above sea level, in this “flat” arid land - a winding path through these mountains take riders towards the beautiful village of Klaarstroom, onto water point 3.

Riders will now experience one of the wonders of the Klein Karoo, Meiringspoort, a 8km section of single track descent bring riders into the poort and the easy ride into De Rust caps another beautiful day.

The old world charm and real village feel will be remembered for long afterwards. Take a donkey cart ride, or visit the various curio shops lining the main street.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/route/2012_stage_3.jpg

Stage 4

Start: NG Church grounds, De Rust.

Finish: Louvain guest farm, Herold.

Distance: 63 km

Total vertical ascent: 1894 m

The gem of the Klein Karoo awaits, with a 25 km steady ascent into the most scenic section of this years’ ride, the valley through the mighty Kammassie Mountains lies ahead, awe inspiring cliffs, a desolate wonder of nature takes you onto water point 1. Nothing worthwhile comes easy, so the beauty of the Kamanassie mountain range is not for free.

Louvain Guest Farm down below, this the Pioneering gateway to the coast, it will embrace and spoil riders with their real platteland hospitality.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/route/2012_stage_4.jpg

Stage 5

Start: Louvain guest farm, Herold.

Finish: Van Kervel High School, George.

Distance: 75 km

Total vertical ascent: 1693 m

Instead of starting the stage towards the coast, riders take of in a northerly direction through the undulating farmlands hugging the northerly slopes of the beautiful Outeniqua Mountains. The terrain changes from arid, dry dessert to the beautiful mountain forests – this journey starts with a climb up Duiwelskop, literary a road towards the devil's dwelling - across the mountain with the first glimpse of the sea, nothing like the Garden Route coast.

A fast jeep track descent onto the coastal plateau, flowing westwards with a single track feast ahead – 10 km of the best riding around, this day finishes on a high.

George, nestled between the Outeniquas will host us on this stage.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/route/2012_stage_5.jpg

Stage 6

Start: Van Kervel School, George.

Finish: Oudtshoorn High School, Oudtshoorn.

Distance: 84 km

Total vertical ascent: 1584 m

This might be the last stage of the race, but don’t let your guard down – the fat lady has not sung! The route back to Oudtshoorn knows only one way, and that is up, the first 18 km is right along these lines. From here riders pick up speed, almost like a racehorse with an open stable door – the finish awaits, but we promised jeep track, so jeep track it will be. For those of you who know Chandelier Game and Ostrich farm, their jeep and single track is legendary in the Southern Cape, so please proceed with caution and enjoy the ride.

The finish line and Oudtshoorn await, cherish the moment and the memories – until 2013.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/route/2012_stage_6.jpg

Total distance: 534 km

Total vertical ascent: 11 516 m

The organizers reserve the right to change routes, actual profiles and the ascent totals on short notice due to circumstances beyond their control, and if so, updates hereof will be given at the official race briefing or the evening prior to the stage start.

The data reflects actual GPS recordings. Distance measurements typically vary between 3-5% between devices, as well as the method of measurement (GPS or rolling measurement) Ascent gain may vary 10-15% between devices and may be up to 30% different.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/sponsors/aside/klein_karoo.jpg

SUBSCRIBE TO RECEIVE OUR NEWSLETTER

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/images/bottom_panel/bg-alt.png

cool route... looks like the swartberg stage finishes on top, and then you freewheel into town?