26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

I bought a 29'er because I could, and I was looking for a new little SS commuter.

The Kona has been a rather fun and exciting little bike to ride and it makes for a great little hard tail. The unfortunate thing though is that this circus bike has me looking at my 26'er duallie in a whole different light .... kind of in the way of the wheels are too small :)

Anyway I still speak to 26" riders if they address me as sir and I often offer to let them slip stream behind me on the flats. It is just the right thing to do for those poor guys on BMX sized wheels.

Please note that the 29'er club is not a closed group.

Peace, Love and Happiness

Hairy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, to me it is funny how easy we as humans buy into BS. Things like 29'ers, 2x10...remeber power balance bands? Just look around you how many "new and improved" stuff is out there! Things that promise you the world. GEWAARBORG!

But let me keep this 'bout cycling since this being a cycling forum and all.

What I don't get about 29'ers...So in 1969 the Americans landed on the MOON! Now think about it - how much research had to go into it? How much resources, people and time...

Then some years ago, BOOM! 29'ers in SA take flight...WE (Humans) HAVE SEND PEOPLE TO THE MOON IN 1969 - why is a bigger wheel NOW such a BIG thing? I mean it is just a friggen wheel dammit. It is not rocket science!!!

Now, I am not saying that 29'ers don't deliver on what they promise. I am sure they do. They roll better over rocky stuff etc.

So what is my problem then with 29'ers? Well, my problem is not the bike itself. My problem is us. Humans. And the BS we buy into.

All of a sudden it is the be all and end all to MTB'ing. Those that have them look down on those that don't. Just this Sunday at a race I heard one cyclist ask another: "So when are you getting a 29'er?" It is like you have to have one to be allowed into the "club".

Now, if you have a 29'er, how much difference did it really make to your performance? I am sure it wasn't like it improved your epic time with hours is it? It is not like all of a sudden you were doing times in races that you were never able to do?

Yes, I will agree that it could have made a small difference in comfort maybe, but is it worth shoving it up everybodies ear just to make a point?

Yes, 29'ers are the next big thing and yes, maybe in 5 years from now, no one will ever ride 26'ers anymore, but getting rid of my 26'er just to get a 29'er? Now that is BS! It is not like I get beaten all of a sudden by guys on 29ers that came from nowhere!

Go ahead, buy your 29er if it is time to do it, Just don't do it because you think it is going to make you that much better!!! There is never a miracle sollution to anything, not even cycling!

Your tampon a bit itchy this morning? Get over it. If guys want 29ers let it be.

We as humans have choice and opinions, great to be human and all VERY different.

What I don't get about 29'ers...So in 1969 the Americans landed on the MOON! Now think about it - how much research had to go into it? How much resources, people and time...

Then some years ago, BOOM! 29'ers in SA take flight...WE (Humans) HAVE SEND PEOPLE TO THE MOON IN 1969 - why is a bigger wheel NOW such a BIG thing? I mean it is just a friggen wheel dammit. It is not rocket science!!!

So - following your moon landing logic, we should all be using 32 inch wheels, as this was the wheel diameter used by the Lunar Rover. After all, Boeing did spend $38,000,000 in developing the Lunar Rover.

I eagerly await the 32 inch revolution.

Yes and No. When you really are just pedaling along it doesn't make a difference and, on the other side of the scale, if you're Brian Lopes you'll Whistler on just about any bike. But for me, Joe Soap, it makes a difference to ride what I ride on an AM bike. Can't do what I do on a 4" XC bike. Even worse on a HT.

So yeah, I get what you are saying, but the bike makes a big difference. One I'm very thankful for.

Dont get me wrong , im not bashing 29er's . but i disagree with the underlined . i proved this point at saterdays USN race , i left the fancy race bike at home and raced a 26" HT Single speed rigid and was finished top ten in the 60km . Just saying enjoy what you ride but remember its not always about the bike.

You know, to me it is funny how easy we as humans buy into BS. Things like 29'ers, 2x10...remeber power balance bands? Just look around you how many "new and improved" stuff is out there! Things that promise you the world. GEWAARBORG!

But let me keep this 'bout cycling since this being a cycling forum and all.

Now, I am not saying that 29'ers don't deliver on what they promise. I am sure they do. They roll better over rocky stuff etc.

So what is my problem then with 29'ers? Well, my problem is not the bike itself. My problem is us. Humans. And the BS we buy into.

All of a sudden it is the be all and end all to MTB'ing. Those that have them look down on those that don't. Just this Sunday at a race I heard one cyclist ask another: "So when are you getting a 29'er?" It is like you have to have one to be allowed into the "club".

Now, if you have a 29'er, how much difference did it really make to your performance? I am sure it wasn't like it improved your epic time with hours is it? It is not like all of a sudden you were doing times in races that you were never able to do?

Yes, I will agree that it could have made a small difference in comfort maybe, but is it worth shoving it up everybodies ear just to make a point?

Yes, 29'ers are the next big thing and yes, maybe in 5 years from now, no one will ever ride 26'ers anymore, but getting rid of my 26'er just to get a 29'er? Now that is BS! It is not like I get beaten all of a sudden by guys on 29ers that came from nowhere!

Go ahead, buy your 29er if it is time to do it, Just don't do it because you think it is going to make you that much better!!! There is never a miracle sollution to anything, not even cycling!

Hey Mj. 29'ers are nothing more than marketing hype and capitalisms way of paying staff. That said, this is what drives development as each year a new model needs to be made and sold, and in order for it to be new, it needs to have improvements over the old ones (just look at how far bikes have come in 10 years). By your logic we'd all be riding on 7 speed chains with v-brakes still.

For my riding style, a 29er is not for me. For some it's been a great improvement, especially if you are over 6 foot tall. It makes sense for marathon and XC (some types at least).

Ride what you ride and enjoy it. I doubt it will make you any faster, as I'm sure you are already so blisteringly fast that you have to scream people off the trails. Don't get the 29er as then there won't be enough time to order people to move ;)

Oh, and did we go to the moon? Last I checked it was an elaborate scam forced by the cold war, pulled off in a Hollywood soundstage. Read about the Van Allen belt much? Or seen this:

Dont get me wrong , im not bashing 29er's . but i disagree with the underlined . i proved this point at saterdays USN race , i left the fancy race bike at home and raced a 26" HT Single speed rigid and was finished top ten in the 60km . Just saying enjoy what you ride but remember its not always about the bike.

Ja but you are not normal..... SS and Rigid, Tre' Loco!

Damned ... you might have come first if you had gears and a 29'er tongue.gif

Damned ... you might have come first if you had gears and a 29'er tongue.gif

no ways, my boy who won it was on a 26" :clap:

Hey Mj. 29'ers are nothing more than marketing hype and capitalisms way of paying staff.

Dumbest comment I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

I didn't buy a 29er because I want to go faster. I don't even race. I just want to ride around the country side with a camera in my backpack, and though I love to have company, this is mostly alone. A 29er seemed best suited to that purpose. But I suppose the marketing department sold me that, and I just bought into it. At least I am happy. Thanks Mr Secret Marketing Guy, for helping me out.

Edited by Pronutro

That's all that matters, pronutro. That's all that matters. As long as you have fun on the bike, it's the right one for you.

Couldn't agree more smile.gif

Truth be said, I would still have fun on a 26er as well.

I didn't buy a 29er because I want to go faster. I don't even race. I just want to ride around the country side with a camera in my backpack

Ditto for me. Couldn't give two figs about racing. No need for speed. Relieved to hear there are a few other like minded off-roaders out there. I also do it with 29 inches.

• 4 weeks later...