26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

"We had some tests here in South Africa in December when we had the 26, the 27.5 and the 29er all built up exactly the same with the same wheels and everything," Frischknecht told BikeRadar just prior to the start of the race.

"We tested them in a group of three pretty intensely over 14 days and we came to the conclusion that the 27.5 feels like 26 in tight, technical and slower stuff but rides more like a 29er on faster singletrail and gives you almost the same safe feel. Our conclusion after those tests was that it's not a compromise – it combines the best of both worlds and we're totally convinced this is the way to go."

was he sh1tting his pants at the time?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I wanted to do was to ride a bicycle. Any bike. Now it has become so complicated, I can't sleep at night. Decisions about bike equipment haunt me. Have I made the right choice? Should I sell it all and start again? I am in despair here :eek:

I'm sure the guys try the different bike sizes in practice and go with the one they are quickest on. I think its great they have choice. All the top guys are sponsored and therefore money isn't an issue so they can ride the bike they want as long as its the brand that sponsors them.

I reckon majority of the top riders will be on 29ers for the Epic.

Yeah. Ibhave to say that something like the epic.would suit a niner. More endurance and marathon style riding than anything else.

Yeah. Ibhave to say that something like the epic.would suit a niner. More endurance and marathon style riding than anything else.

29er is thus then better for the consumer cause they ride enduro endurance (50km+) type events is this not so? I rest my face, 29er rulez!

Edited by Berg Bok

29er is thus then better for the consumer cause they ride enduro type events is this not so? I rest my face, 29er rulez!

Epic is not an enduro event. It's a multi day stage race, also known as a multi day marathon event. Enduro events are more AM in the type of obstacles and routes they take, and there the 140mm trail / am bike rules.

But yes, it is an endurance event...

For sure, 29'ers actually suit the South African conditions really well and especially the type of riding we do.

If I had the legs to ride with the worlds best at XC only level, I would probably have opted for 650b at this stage, only really for the tight and twisty stuff and then also the little bit of better fulcrum attack in something like those rock gardens.

Personally I love the big wheels, it suits my riding and also my choice of bike, fully rigid.

Let's put the year in to perspective a little.

I see tweets from some Scott guys flying at Gary Fisher and jizzing in their pants that Nino won on 650 b.

Well he won there last year on 26 " wheels ?

Raving and pants jazzing from one, yes one World Cup race, there is still a massive season ahead.

Let's also not forget it's the Olympic year, each and everyone of those talented athletes at the top will have a different plan for the year.

It's still a long season with a number of WC races, an Olympics and then a World Champs.

Not even including Epic, Marathon world Champs and such.

The most important thing people forget is GENETIC inheritance.

Some think that lot's of practice and hard training will get you to the top, then adding the prefect wheel size to that and suddenly you are invincible.

Without genetics, I have no choice but to take the average seat.

For sure, 29'ers actually suit the South African conditions really well and especially the type of riding we do.

If I had the legs to ride with the worlds best at XC only level, I would probably have opted for 650b at this stage, only really for the tight and twisty stuff and then also the little bit of better fulcrum attack in something like those rock gardens.

Personally I love the big wheels, it suits my riding and also my choice of bike, fully rigid.

Let's put the year in to perspective a little.

I see tweets from some Scott guys flying at Gary Fisher and jizzing in their pants that Nino won on 650 b.

Well he won there last year on 26 " wheels ?

Raving and pants jazzing from one, yes one World Cup race, there is still a massive season ahead.

Let's also not forget it's the Olympic year, each and everyone of those talented athletes at the top will have a different plan for the year.

It's still a long season with a number of WC races, an Olympics and then a World Champs.

Not even including Epic, Marathon world Champs and such.

The most important thing people forget is GENETIC inheritance.

Some think that lot's of practice and hard training will get you to the top, then adding the prefect wheel size to that and suddenly you are invincible.

Without genetics, I have no choice but to take the average seat.

Absolutely. And I'll take the below average seat, Dangle

Cant disagree more mayhem, no bike ive had has ever been as good on ST as my new rocky 29'er that bike just rips.

Absolutely. And I'll take the below average seat, Dangle

I'd also fall about there somewhere .. just below average. But I am happy enough with fun. Currently, my Niner is fun :thumbup:

Cant disagree more mayhem, no bike ive had has ever been as good on ST as my new rocky 29'er that bike just rips.

Lol. Didn't say a niner doesn't rip there, bro. Just that a niner would suit the epic more than a sixer would. I'm one of the guys that appreciates the tech advantage the bigger wheels provide, as long as you have the geo sorted and adapt your riding style to suit.

Just as long as you don't claim that the bigger wheels make you a better rider. Pfft. That's the only problem I have with sone adopters of the other standard. Wheel size has buggerall to do with how good you are.

Lol. Didn't say a niner doesn't rip there, bro. Just that a niner would suit the epic more than a sixer would. I'm one of the guys that appreciates the tech advantage the bigger wheels provide, as long as you have the geo sorted and adapt your riding style to suit.

Just as long as you don't claim that the bigger wheels make you a better rider. Pfft. That's the only problem I have with sone adopters of the other standard. Wheel size has buggerall to do with how good you are.

Ok cant fault that :) bought it as my "Marathon bike" but wanted something that can still handle the tech stuff. And boy oh boy was i pleasantly suprised, at first i was miffed becuase for the money paid its not the lightest bike in the stable, but its just such an awesome ride I have no desire to get back on any of my other toys atm.

That said no 29'er wheels will not make a better rider out of you, and it depends on the bike i think i tried a couple before i bought the new one, and quite frankly a lot of the lighter even lighter and cheaper options just plainly sucked. Response was slow, climbing was akward. And you just couldnt whip the bike around no matter how hard I tried. Its defintly a case of who got the geometry right and who is just crunching out frames to feed the fad.

I seriously cant wait to put my bike on a bit of a diet and upgrading some key components, roll on payday!

Edited by covie

I've been wanting a 650b for the last 2 years. I have a zula at the moment which I love, but I do feel the wheels are too small. I have also ridden a 29 and I feel the wheels are too big and I cant get cumfy (I'm 6 foot 1 and 80kgs). I've been wanting to get a 120-140mm full sus bike with 650b wheels. 650b was going to be the hit of the year anyway before Nino won this weekend. There are already preproduction leaks from all the fork manufactures.

My style of riding is techincal xc, sani, joberg2c so all different. I love techincal single track, and I think 650b will suit MY riding style. There is no 1 bike for all styles, and no 1 bike for all people. For my budget which is only one bike, I think 650b could be right for me.

I've been wanting a 650b for the last 2 years. I have a zula at the moment which I love, but I do feel the wheels are too small. I have also ridden a 29 and I feel the wheels are too big and I cant get cumfy (I'm 6 foot 1 and 80kgs). I've been wanting to get a 120-140mm full sus bike with 650b wheels. 650b was going to be the hit of the year anyway before Nino won this weekend. There are already preproduction leaks from all the fork manufactures.

My style of riding is techincal xc, sani, joberg2c so all different. I love techincal single track, and I think 650b will suit MY riding style. There is no 1 bike for all styles, and no 1 bike for all people. For my budget which is only one bike, I think 650b could be right for me.

Too true :thumbup: