26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

@Zac.A - Ill thank you now - thank you!

That will work well - should be about 15mm clearance at the back - what volume tyre is at the back? 2.2 or 2.0?

Where did you find a wheelset & tyres?

I have a Sid up front - should have enough space for a 650B?

Oh, that's not my bike, just the ones of mtber.

Will post pics of mine when and if I do the conversion, 6 weeks min waiting time for the crests :thumbdown:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@GeoffKabush: 29er wheel bags seem hard to find. I figure the manufacturers are just holding out for 650B.

First it was 26" then 29' now 27.5" wheels!!!!!!! Are these the best of both worlds? And will bike manufacturers develop a whole new frame or can we slap the 27.5" wheels onto both 26" and 29" frames???

Seriously confused on the best way to go!!!!!

I fail to see how increasing the radius of your wheels by 12mm can make that much of a difference, exept to your wallet.

I fail to see how increasing the radius of your wheels by 12mm can make that much of a difference, exept to your wallet.

True, the thicker it is with notes, the easier you roll over it.

The 26" guys are like John Mcenroe, they furiously serve one ball after the other, throw tantrums here and there but will eventually get forced in to retirement.

Technology , embrace it or be lost without it.

I wonder how many ZX Sinclair users are still saying that the i-Pad is only a phase.

Why don't the manufacturers come up with something original? Like a lightweight internally geared BB. The Rohloff's drawbacks will be eliminated.

There's gonna be some good deals on old stock 26 inch wheels and tyres soon! Start saving

why wait for old 26" stuff when you can get whole 29ers at bargain prices :thumbup: watch that space...

The 26" guys are like John Mcenroe, they furiously serve one ball after the other, throw tantrums here and there but will eventually get forced in to retirement.

Technology , embrace it or be lost without it.

I wonder how many ZX Sinclair users are still saying that the i-Pad is only a phase.

Interesting that you use the iPad analogy as that is exactly the way I see this whole wheel size thing.

Steve Jobs and co: "Hey, I know how we can make lots of money. Let's bring out a new iPad every year with minimal advantages over it's predecessors but market it vehemently and make the silly consumers out there feel inferior if they don't have the latest model".

Ditto the bike manufacturers. People obviously weren't buying new bikes often enough for their liking so they just took a leaf out of the Apple book of sales and marketing and develop a new "must have" product every so often to help those who are too happy to part with their cash, to look cool and show off that they have the latest, to do so.

It also reminds me of the camera megapixel battle and the computer processor speed battle. Give the masses a simple number to focus on and milk the sales from changes to this number.

Interesting that you use the iPad analogy as that is exactly the way I see this whole wheel size thing.

Steve Jobs and co: "Hey, I know how we can make lots of money. Let's bring out a new iPad every year with minimal advantages over it's predecessors but market it vehemently and make the silly consumers out there feel inferior if they don't have the latest model".

Ditto the bike manufacturers. People obviously weren't buying new bikes often enough for their liking so they just took a leaf out of the Apple book of sales and marketing and develop a new "must have" product every so often to help those who are too happy to part with their cash, to look cool and show off that they have the latest, to do so.

It also reminds me of the camera megapixel battle and the computer processor speed battle. Give the masses a simple number to focus on and milk the sales from changes to this number.

You are right, but I think you are missing the point a bit.

Let me explain.

Technology is there, it happens, people need to embrace it.

Now your example of Apple "almost forcing" people to buy the latest does not apply here.

I said it ages ago, hubbers and South Africans blame the bike manufacturers for the 29'er revolution, they feel that it's a marketing ploy to get them to spend their money.

29e'ers are very popular here at home.

1.We have superb terrain for it.

2.South Africans are like puppy dogs and love to follow like sheep.

Example is the race Nino won, now 27.5 is a big discussion on this here forum, but people didn't scramble all over to buy 26" bikes when he won there on one last year.

I maintain that the demand for 27.5 in this country will be driven by the consumer and not the wholesaler.

But now let's just get back to Apple for a second.

They launch the i-pad and suddenly Samsung, Blackberry and the rest of the innovate less followers simply follow suit.

Kudos to Apple.

Edited by HairySack