26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

Riding yesterday at Giba, I kept wondering how the hell a 29er gets around some of the tight switchbacks, I mean it was the first time yesterday I never put my foot down. I need to see someone take them on a 29er. Come ride this so I can watch you :thumbup: I'm sure a 27.5 would be better suited to KZN riding, for me it boils down to rider style and the trails you are riding. I certainly aint no sheeple( I like this word, thanks ClintZA) and make informed purchases.

I mean what made people all go over to 29ers so quickly in SA as opposed to the rest of the world, mention a 29er to a UK rider and they think you are off your head, a lot of Europe is the same. I speak to a friend in the UK who is heavily involved in the bike industry and there has been a lot of talk of the 27.5 route, more so then the already established 29ers, way before Nino won on his. Horses for courses

For the record, 29'ers cant corner ... total myth, those that are poorly designed and "dead footed" as i call them yeah they suck, bikes like RM, SANTA, Pyaga, Kona, ellsworth, etc are superb in the tight stuff.

The reason why the UK havent moved over to 29'ers are becuase 90% of their riding is done in AM/Trail bike conditions, most people in the UK look at a 100mm travel bike as their version of a commuter bike. There was a big gap in the market for long travel 29'ers manufacturers were keeping them at 100mm for XC purposes, and as they now get the geometry right, they are starting to bring out longer travel 29'ers and those are doing well in the UK. 120mm and up.

The next bike on my shopping list is defintily

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+ALTITUDE_970_29_.html?BIKE=988&CATID=1&SCATID=22&Y=2012

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I agree a lot of people are like "sheeple" but if it werent for these people where would the cycling industry be?
  2. .

Another way of looking at it is that SA people are 'early adopters'. Like electronic banking. We had it years before the UK. The poms are slow adopters. They'll still be riding 26'rs when the the rest of the world is already on 29.3's or whatever comes after 27.5.

26” / 27.5” / 29” Facts, Debates and Opinions (in this case, mine...)

Hubbers, this piece is written to all of us, “above average” riders, and NOT referring to the PRO’s (the guys with sponsorship and who gets paid to ride)

I call us “above average”, as I believe that anyone that rides a bike with the passion and dedication, as we all do, IMO, is an above average human being!!!

Here some of my views RE the 26” / 27.5” / 29” debate

26”

Stronger; Less lateral flex and forces (obvious) F

Lighter; Well, depend on your build preference D

Less material to make O

Faster; Well, less inertia to roll F/D/O

27.5”

I’ll get there...

29”

“Weaker”; More lateral flex due to radius D/O

I do not agree, STRONG rims available

“Heavier”; Well, more material to make product F/D

Light strong stuff available

How much heavier is heavy??? I see the 360 Life guys 29”HT weigh in at 8.7kg F

“Slower”; More inertia to roll... D/O

Here comes the bun fight!!!

If you are sprinting / climbing against the likes of Stander, Sauser, George and Evans, maybe then does an additional 500g make a difference?

If your performance determines your position / pay check / sponsor, then do the fewer less grams count!!!

Us as mere mortals, who ride for the love and passion, should we get bogged down by shaving grams and spending THOUSANDS of R’s??? Maybe not???

Now, the 27.5”

Stronger; In theory stronger than 29”. Less lateral flex and forces (obvious)

In theory weaker than 26”. More lateral flex and forces (obvious)

Lighter; In theory lighter than 29”. Less material

In theory heavier than 26”. More material

Faster; In theory faster than 29”. Less inertia to roll

In theory slower than 26”. More inertia to roll

FACT
: Nino could not get his fit right on a 29”, but wanted the added advantage of a bigger wheel.

FACT
: 5 years ago 29” wheels also had a “cult” following
FACT:
We do not have a GREAT range and variety of 29” tyres available in SA yet, and 29” bikes have been on the go for (well mainstream) 4 years, and now we want to go for another size...???

FACT:
Top end riders make a living / earn money / live off cycling; therefore they will have the right tools for a job at hand.

OPINION:
I think that the cycling industry saw what 29” did for the industry, and wanted another “injection” like that. Maybe a year or two to soon...???

OPINION:
Maybe the following setup, in UTOPIA for us all:

26” for downhill (FS) and serious XC (HT 26” choice option)

27.5” for XC and trail (HT / FS choice option for trail)

29” for trail, marathon and endurance (HT / FS)

Guys, IMO, horses for courses...

Heavier / lighter than the next, maybe should be a factor if you compete against the pro’s (and not break your b@&&5 and the bank) to shed 700g on your bike. Lose the 15kg you carry around your gut (as mentioned the above average cyclist, like us all), and save your cash for a bike holiday somewhere...

For wheel size choice, ride what you want / like (if your life doesn’t depend on it...)

For cycling;

Ride for the love of riding

Live to ride, and ride to live...

That’s me, over and out on this topic

Edited by NINER_boy

I posted a link to a story about a shoot out between 26, 27.5 & 29ers, It may be on this thead or one of the other 650/27.5" threads. Read it

i Dont believe its rider height thats gonna decides the wheels size.. i think hardtails should be 29, becaues you can keep the overall length of the bike managable, short travel full suss 27,5, and long travel ie. downhill 26... a long travel slack head angle downhill bike would be incumbently long with 29in wheels.. and so forth...

Caerus.... there isnt a single switchback in Giba that i cannot ride on my 29er hardtail... infact, and i might just have improved my skills?, but i remember putting feet down more often in Giba on my 26... but i havent riden a 26 since 2010??

Even the new blue route swithbacks going up to the Bizhub route. I must be seriously k@k at them, doh. Would love to see this sometime, let me know when you going to be riding there so I can join you, get Rowan to come along as well. Need to see how he rides :whistling:

urgh... like everything else on the hub, this is busy morphing...

How long till we take it back to the Penny Farthing wheel size?

Soon we will be ripping up the trails with retro 20" at the back with 16" in the front and a whopping 3 gears. Top speed claimed at 25 Km/h governed by state of the art automatic front wheel wobble. Rumor has it every new one sold comes with VIP medi-clinic membership.

post-14134-0-67263100-1333013944.jpg

Soon we will be ripping up the trails with retro 20" at the back with 16" in the front and a whopping 3 gears. Top speed claimed at 25 Km/h governed by state of the art automatic front wheel wobble. Rumor has it every new one sold comes with VIP medi-clinic membership.

post-14134-0-67263100-1333013944.jpg

Bring it on

I'm starting to worry i've been living under a rock:

I've just bought another awesomely pimp 26" bike (from a roadie background - this is a SIN!)

Don't have DSTV (who needs TV when you out living life?)

Don't have an iPad or other Tablet to boast

I still use VHS to record stuff

My car does have a CD player tho :thumbup: that i seldomly use

Clearly i'm a century behind still :oops:

I'm starting to worry i've been living under a rock:

I've just bought another awesomely pimp 26" bike (from a roadie background - this is a SIN!)

Don't have DSTV (who needs TV when you out living life?)

Don't have an iPad or other Tablet to boast

I still use VHS to record stuff

My car does have a CD player tho :thumbup: that i seldomly use

Clearly i'm a century behind still :oops:

Welcome in 2012 dude...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Happy to have you here ;)

Uhmmm asuming the moderators merged some threads here? Cause that was not the original topic header...

Uhmmm asuming the moderators merged some threads here? Cause that was not the original topic header...

Yep, I started this topic yesterday saying I was confused on the best way forward. Still confused!!!! :blink:

26” / 27.5” / 29” Facts, Debates and Opinions (in this case, mine...)

Hubbers, this piece is written to all of us, “above average” riders, and NOT referring to the PRO’s (the guys with sponsorship and who gets paid to ride)

I call us “above average”, as I believe that anyone that rides a bike with the passion and dedication, as we all do, IMO, is an above average human being!!!

Here some of my views RE the 26” / 27.5” / 29” debate

26”

Stronger; Less lateral flex and forces (obvious) F

Lighter; Well, depend on your build preference D

Less material to make O

Faster; Well, less inertia to roll F/D/O

27.5”

I’ll get there...

29”

“Weaker”; More lateral flex due to radius D/O

I do not agree, STRONG rims available

“Heavier”; Well, more material to make product F/D

Light strong stuff available

How much heavier is heavy??? I see the 360 Life guys 29”HT weigh in at 8.7kg F

“Slower”; More inertia to roll... D/O

Here comes the bun fight!!!

If you are sprinting / climbing against the likes of Stander, Sauser, George and Evans, maybe then does an additional 500g make a difference?

If your performance determines your position / pay check / sponsor, then do the fewer less grams count!!!

Us as mere mortals, who ride for the love and passion, should we get bogged down by shaving grams and spending THOUSANDS of R’s??? Maybe not???

Now, the 27.5”

Stronger; In theory stronger than 29”. Less lateral flex and forces (obvious)

In theory weaker than 26”. More lateral flex and forces (obvious)

Lighter; In theory lighter than 29”. Less material

In theory heavier than 26”. More material

Faster; In theory faster than 29”. Less inertia to roll

In theory slower than 26”. More inertia to roll

FACT
: Nino could not get his fit right on a 29”, but wanted the added advantage of a bigger wheel.

FACT
: 5 years ago 29” wheels also had a “cult” following
FACT:
We do not have a GREAT range and variety of 29” tyres available in SA yet, and 29” bikes have been on the go for (well mainstream) 4 years, and now we want to go for another size...???

FACT:
Top end riders make a living / earn money / live off cycling; therefore they will have the right tools for a job at hand.

OPINION:
I think that the cycling industry saw what 29” did for the industry, and wanted another “injection” like that. Maybe a year or two to soon...???

OPINION:
Maybe the following setup, in UTOPIA for us all:

26” for downhill (FS) and serious XC (HT 26” choice option)

27.5” for XC and trail (HT / FS choice option for trail)

29” for trail, marathon and endurance (HT / FS)

Guys, IMO, horses for courses...

Heavier / lighter than the next, maybe should be a factor if you compete against the pro’s (and not break your b@&&5 and the bank) to shed 700g on your bike. Lose the 15kg you carry around your gut (as mentioned the above average cyclist, like us all), and save your cash for a bike holiday somewhere...

For wheel size choice, ride what you want / like (if your life doesn’t depend on it...)

For cycling;

Ride for the love of riding

Live to ride, and ride to live...

That’s me, over and out on this topic

i think your deductions are pretty good ...

but to add to 27.5......

true 650b followers will probably ride 650 frames.... that luxury is only available in SA if you buy a KHS or have one imported made by Pacenti or other custom bike makers. KHS have both alu and Carbon HT's in their 2012 range (Micheal KHS trying to squeese in a Carbon hardtail for me in soon delivered stock)

But many 26ers are convertable to 650 thus eleminating your theory of more flex in frames , add to that does a 29 HT not have less flex than a dually 26er? that is rear triangle flex

to me 650b is best suited to a xc dually setup and then HT..

the benefits of buying a 650 b wheelset with current 26er setup... you keep the same gear ratios.

I'm looking to buy my first 29er full suspension MTB bike.

I'm willing to spend up to R35 000

The thing is I'm not 100 % sure what 29er to get?

I like the reviews of the Giant Anthem X and the Cube looks nice.

CUBE AMS 29 Race

Giant The Anthem X 1 29'er or

The Anthem X 0 29'er

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks HUBBERS

In the latest edition of Bicycling mag, they have a nice feature on 29 dualies in your price range. The rated the PYGA as no1, then the Spez and then the Giant. I think if you are going to spend that moola it is worth reading the comparisons

I am going with the PYGA

Cube gets my vote. Best looking of the lot in my view. I have the 26' version and love it - same reasoning would apply to the 29er (just bigger wheels)!