Chris Willemse on imports

Chris Willemse

Commenting further on the LBS / ONLINE issue is just a waste of time, everybody has their own opinion and will defend it to the death, for every person that says I buy at the LBS, someone will just say I buy ON-LINE - who cares, its your money you can spend it where you want.

........but on the point of advertising / sponsorships / costs etc (as this is my field of employ) I have a bit of a backround here.

Generally sponsorships are considered "BRANDING" excercises, it is designed to bring brand awareness to the public, promote an impression, and drive sales for the brand holder.

It has NO ADVANTAGES to the consumer and generally is not considered as fair to pass this cost on to the consumer.

Advertising on the other hand CAN benefit the consumer, although in cases it is also a form of branding it can be informative, educational, amusing and have an entertaining value - as this cost can benefit the consumer its considered fair to pass it on. 

Okay, just a bit of ad info.!

porky2008-01-06 05:42:15

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Madmarc' date=' i read your comments with interest and note on the bottom of your quote you always insert"I would rather walk than ride Shimano"Please let me have your input on this as we all have choices in life so before you start walking let me have it from your perspective.

rgds sm

www.coolheat.co.za

[/quote']

"I would rather walk than ride Shimano" is my personal opinion on the Shimano range of groupsets. I am obviously a Campy fan, and always will be. Whilst they (Campy) are expensive and out of the price range of most cyclists and the fact that the local agents certainly have not done much with the product as far as sales, service & backup as well as marketing, it is still the best range of products and groupsets on offer today. Going back in cycling history, they also invented the technology being used by Shimano today. They certainly are not the market leaders, but their products are directed to a niche market of discerning customers, Where Shimano is simply a masmart affordable product for virtually all cyclists.

In Shimano's defence though I recently purchased a TREK with Shimano groupset. This done under duress though as their are no Campy equiped MTB's available. No doubt i am working on a Campy groupset changeout at the 1st sign of trouble with the Shimano XT groupset which i'm expecting to happen fairly soon.

"Campy wears in Shimano wears out"Tongue

Madmarc' date=' i read your comments with interest and note on the bottom of your quote you always insert"I would rather walk than ride Shimano"Please let me have your input on this as we all have choices in life so before you start walking let me have it from your perspective.

rgds sm

www.coolheat.co.za

[/quote']

"I would rather walk than ride Shimano" is my personal opinion on the Shimano range of groupsets. I am obviously a Campy fan, and always will be. Whilst they (Campy) are expensive and out of the price range of most cyclists and the fact that the local agents certainly have not done much with the product as far as sales, service & backup as well as marketing, it is still the best range of products and groupsets on offer today. Going back in cycling history, they also invented the technology being used by Shimano today. They certainly are not the market leaders, but their products are directed to a niche market of discerning customers, Where Shimano is simply a masmart affordable product for virtually all cyclists.

In Shimano's defence though I recently purchased a TREK with Shimano groupset. This done under duress though as their are no Campy equiped MTB's available. No doubt i am working on a Campy groupset changeout at the 1st sign of trouble with the Shimano XT groupset which i'm expecting to happen fairly soon.

"Campy wears in Shimano wears out"Tongue

BTW Steve i see you guys have the BRIKO range, of which I am also a big fan of (COLNAGO; CAMPY & BRIKO) why is it that I cannot A) get a new helemt & B) buy new foam inserts for the 2 helmets I have now from any of the LBS i visit. I am now going to buy online & collect these from our offices in UK when i visit there @ end January.

Or maybe you would be interested in dealing direct with one of your customers in the interests of keeping the business in SA Wink

madmarc, thanks for your input on the issue about walking before riding with Shimano, please keep me informed about the reliability and issues related to Xt as we always pass this onto Shimano.I used to ride with Campy myself many years ago and respect Italian products highly. In fact i have a passion for Italian cars and Bikes .Re- Briko we do have some replacement pads please let me have your model and i will check for you.

rhds sm

sm, will i see u at the epic waterpoints again?? please keep the drugs on standby again for carinus, myself, jannie and rodney. and the oil.

grootlem,sure will see us at the Epic again but this year on the 2nd stage only and i will bring shampoo for Carinus and a hairdresser friend of mine to sort his groet gemorse out on his head.Jannie and Rotney i dont think will be there this year but i cant say for sure though as i tried to get them an entry.

TongueGroot Lem and Latrinus, i will bring White Lightning Hair Oil for you and Campag wont be at the other stages as this is a Mtb affair and not a road race>>>???

C U THERE

SM AND THE GANG

TongueGroot Lem and Latrinus' date=' i will bring White Lightning Hair Oil for you and Campag wont be at the other stages as this is a Mtb affair and not a road race>>>???

C U THERE

SM AND THE GANG
[/quote']

MMMM this calls for a response!!

Campy is specifically designed for the discerning cyclist who requires - high speeds, smooth fast changing, 110% accurate gear selection, silent chain transition, max energy transfer to rear wheel, long life durability, hidden cable routing, Carbon fetish satisfying, lowest cost of ownership (never needs repairs), legal testosterone, hardon producing, awe inspiring, I wanna have your baby & wash your bike offers, - components on their bikes. And thats just the groupsets, god forbid if you should start using their wheelsets as well as their other componenets.

Even Harley Davidson owners are looking for excuses to use Campy groupsets on their bikes

The MTB market just can't offer this enviroment. A groupset that is reliable for a few races and cheap enough to replace is all that is required.TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Guys, in response to Willie E's exciting offers on The Hub yesterday, go to Chit Chat CWC Mavic specials - you are in for a real treat!

TongueGroot Lem and Latrinus' date=' i will bring White Lightning Hair Oil for you and Campag wont be at the other stages as this is a Mtb affair and not a road race>>>???

C U THERE

SM AND THE GANG
[/quote']

MMMM this calls for a response!!

Campy is specifically designed for the discerning cyclist who requires - high speeds, smooth fast changing, 110% accurate gear selection, silent chain transition, max energy transfer to rear wheel, long life durability, hidden cable routing, Carbon fetish satisfying, lowest cost of ownership (never needs repairs), legal testosterone, hardon producing, awe inspiring, I wanna have your baby & wash your bike offers, - components on their bikes. And thats just the groupsets, god forbid if you should start using their wheelsets as well as their other componenets.

Even Harley Davidson owners are looking for excuses to use Campy groupsets on their bikes

The MTB market just can't offer this enviroment. A groupset that is reliable for a few races and cheap enough to replace is all that is required.TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
 Campy on a combine harvester?? Personally I prefer a Shimano equipped Massey Ferguson!!