Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Dude I totally agree. I am half indian and half coloured so my Ethnic backround doesn't go with Noakes especially when my mom makes the best curries twice a week and you can't say no

And its all about the MONEY and the suckers that go buy his book. Just saying

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents.... very late to the party I know. But I think that one needs to pay careful consideration to your own genetic profile and how your own body responds to different food groups. Some people don't deal as well with meat and fats and others not so well with carbs. Noakes coming out with this one size fits all is concerning, especially when there is years and years of peer reviewed research to the contrary. I think the way that they have handled this is irresponsible, especially given the amount of money he made on his first book and the amount that he's made now off this latest one.

I'll also venture to say that any diet will cause radical weight loss when you the food alternatives given cause you to reduce your total calorie intake and/or your body rejects / struggles to use what you are putting in it.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he didn't say. But for the sake of argument, where did he state that?

Noakes 'Lore of Running' is about running to your potential. Carbs needed for that. Noakes adoption of the Banting diet is about health. I think he is correct on both accounts.

edit: that would be endurance running, not sprinting.

Edited by vayamo

Dude I totally agree. I am half indian and half coloured so my Ethnic backround doesn't go with Noakes especially when my mom makes the best curries twice a week and you can't say no

And its all about the MONEY and the suckers that go buy his book. Just saying

So all the people that bought the book are suckers? Hahahaha. Perhaps some of the people that bought it are just interested in the information. Not all of us are able to tell if the book is good or not intuitively. Some people have to actually read it to be able to make that determination.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he didn't say. But for the sake of argument, where did he state that?

The co author of the book advocated this - personally in an email. Suggesting that my wife should try this diet in spite of her genetic profile. As she is the co author I assume she speaks for both of them.

well, then you should clarify your statement because your direct quote of him was factually incorrect. Rather state what really happened, aka the facts. Its misleading otherwise.

Edited by Capricorn

well, then you should clarify your statement because your direct quote of him was factually incorrect. Rather state what really happened, aka the facts. Its misleading otherwise.

I think I did that above. And I think you are nit-picking - but I'll bite anyway.

I assume you are a loyal minion that freely absorbs the BS that you are fed.

You're probably also a few hundred zuma's poorer as a result of buying the books.

Your bitterness should however not render you quick to attack. But I'll forgive you, given that your diet may have impacted your better judgement.

Edited by rattlesnake

I think I did that above. And I think you are nit-picking - but I'll bite anyway.

You're probably also a few hundred zuma's poorer as a result of buying the books.

Your bitterness should however not render you quick to attack. But I'll forgive you, given that your diet may have impacted your better judgement.

Erm, I've been to quite a few talks where he was a guest speaker. He had often said that this is NOT for everyone. numerous times. And at times vociferously. He does, however, say that everyone must stay away from refined cars and sugar.

Erm, I've been to quite a few talks where he was a guest speaker. He had often said that this is NOT for everyone. numerous times. And at times vociferously. He does, however, say that everyone must stay away from refined cars and sugar.

Staying away from refined carbs and sugar is probably just as important as staying away from tobacco products. Slow poison both of them.

Tim Noakes have on quite a few occasions mentioned that people without a history of type 2 diabetes in their families, low carbohydrate resistance and who stays in good shape with a conventional HCLF diet, should not just merrily hop on the LCHF diet.

So he is definitely not advocating this across the board.

As for the books, better to part with (a little of ) your money and be informed, than to openly criticise a world renowned expert without a little bit of background knowledge.

keep going, your personal spleen venting is making a perfect little nosedive into more mindless waffle. but at least try be funny about it. that was very dull. How old are you again? oh and don't forget to go off on some mindless verbal fappage at the next 3 posters will you? there's a good lad.

Edited by Capricorn

keep going, your personal spleen venting is making a perfect little nosedive into more mindless waffle. but at least try be funny about it. that was very dull. How old are you again? oh and don't forget to go off on some mindless verbal fappage at the next 3 posters will you? there's a good lad.

You are hardly worth the effort cretin. Exit stage left.

You are hardly worth the effort cretin. Exit stage left.

Dude. He asked a legit question. You assumed that the co-author spoke for Noakes, which is clearly not the case - she is not Noakes.

You then proceeded to get quite bitchy. And personal. So no, it's your inflammatory posts that have escalated this little tea party...

Dude. He asked a legit question. You assumed that the co-author spoke for Noakes, which is clearly not the case

Are you sure about this? Saying that he doesn't know and approve of what his co author and other followers are saying is like asserting that JZ knew nothing of the Nkandla upgrades.

And if you look back at the thread I got flamed first for expressing a valid concern. Your and capricorns reactions were very defensive ..., cult like even. PS - I also went to a talk or two where the distinction between who should go on this LCHF diet was NOT clearly distinguished. If anything he has tried to clarify himself in more recent times because of the push back he has likely received.

And that's me done here- I won't attack your precious leader any further. He has already ascended to the status of a deity in your minds, common sense or free thinking clearly have no place here. Follow away lemmings.

Funny how people get so reactionary angry about this. I have read Noakes book and a few others including Taubes - it all sounded fairly logical to me so I gave it a go. I lost 7kg in the first 3 weeks and my gout, which I have been suffering with for 30 years, has all but gone in spite of the fact that I am eating the foods - in some quantity - that triggered the gout previously. A friend started around the same time and he has noticed significant improvements in some joint and muscular problems that he had had.

The book is clear that it is not necessarily for everyone and so is Taubes.

Also worth pointing out that I read somewhere else that the money from the book goes to charity - some people on this thread may owe Dr Noakes an apology is my memory serves me correctly...

Who's this rattlesnake character? seems.he has underlying.childhood anger issues that's mow manifesting through angerbtowards whatsoever people choose to eat..

If you took the time to read.the book you will realise they say it's not for everyone. But do advocate to stay away from refined sugars Carbs grains etc

I read the book, and it does make a lotbof sense.

Ps, the 1st case of recorded case of lchf (Or Banting as it's more popular known as) was in 1868. So it's not a new thing. It's just the a lifestyle of cutting out all refined sugars and Carbs.