Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Read the literature so you can know what to expect. You are going to feel pap the first week or so. Drink more water at first and adjust your salt intake higher. Read that books !

There was a link to 2 books by the same authors. Think it was a amozon link. Could not get those 2 books on kalahari.net or on the exclusive books sit

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a link to 2 books by the same authors. Think it was a amozon link. Could not get those 2 books on kalahari.net or on the exclusive books sit

You really should get a Kindle then !

Adaption takes 3-4 weeks, Read the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance - Phinney anf Volek Often it's more fat that you need and less protein, they give formulas to help get you started, the benefits are huge, stable blood sugar, reduced inflamation especially after exercise, quicker recuperation. Ability to ride hours without refuel.

Im referring to this book, Where did you guys buy it from?

So are you doing the low Carb diet now ?

Call it a restricted carb diet.....but I do cheat sometimes, one or two meals a week.

Basmati rice, rye bread, no pasta...basically cutting white starches apart from some potato, but not with every meal. There is no planned method to it. Blood sugar hovers between 6 and 7.

I have lost around 5 kg in the last month.... :thumbup:

What has definitely made the biggest difference is regulating my portion sizes, I eat half of what I used to a month ago, and have not felt any hunger for the last three weeks. I stopped soft drinks for the most part as well....

The Contour is a "S&*%T " meter. I should know as I have tested and used it. The pharmacies makes more money from the contour strips than other models, that is why they give it away for free. The Accucheck Nano is much better. It is faster and uses less blood than the Contour, and you waste far less strips.

Ag flippit....

Why is it a crappy meter in your opinion? (not challenging you :thumbup: )

Ag flippit....

Why is it a crappy meter in your opinion? (not challenging you :thumbup: )

I have outlined the main reasons in my last sentence previously.

I have outlined the main reasons in my last sentence previously.

Oh ok....not much of a reason, I thought there was more to it, like inaccuracy. I can wait a few seconds more, it only takes five seconds to measure. Do you re-use the strips in the accucheck, or is it because of the blood volume that you tend to lose strips with the contour.

I remember my dad had that issue with his meter, if he did not put enough blood the strip is ruined.

bleeding on strip...URG.! that sounds even worse than the carrots that you didn't eat coming out of you.. CRINGING!!!

I remember my dad had that issue with his meter, if he did not put enough blood the strip is ruined.

Thats it. In the end the strips could cost you more than the more expensive ones then. Also, you don't want to have to prick yourself for a second time all the time... If you have to prick and measure a couple of times a day, it all adds up and you quickly value the better meters.

bleeding on strip...URG.! that sounds even worse than the carrots that you didn't eat coming out of you.. CRINGING!!!

Dark days indeed. Maybe we should get a Lady's opinion?

Thats it. In the end the strips could cost you more than the more expensive ones then. Also, you don't want to have to prick yourself for a second time all the time... If you have to prick and measure a couple of times a day, it all adds up and you quickly value the better meters.

Makes plenty sense....I have not had the issue yet :thumbup:

Call it a restricted carb diet.....but I do cheat sometimes, one or two meals a week.

Basmati rice, rye bread, no pasta...basically cutting white starches apart from some potato, but not with every meal. There is no planned method to it. Blood sugar hovers between 6 and 7.

I have lost around 5 kg in the last month.... :thumbup:

What has definitely made the biggest difference is regulating my portion sizes, I eat half of what I used to a month ago, and have not felt any hunger for the last three weeks.

I stopped soft drinks for the most part as well....

Interesting point for me, i get gatvol of drinking water and enjoy something with some flavour but all the "sugar and other stuff" you find in softdrinks / flavoured drinks is concerning.

What do you drink in place of soft drinks?

Interesting point for me, i get gatvol of drinking water and enjoy something with some flavour but all the "sugar and other stuff" you find in softdrinks / flavoured drinks is concerning.

What do you drink in place of soft drinks?

Game

Or just squeeze half a fresh lemon or lime into a tall glass of ice water