Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Naa, dont agree at this point. When I see scientific studies supported by established and highly regarded universities or medical bodies specializing in this kind of study, maybe, until then....Uh-Uh.

Try read the whole article, particularly the bit at the bottom that says:

Finally the internet is full of information about the low carbohydrate revolution. Type in low carbohydrate or Paleo diet into Google and start searching. I list below a few (in no special order) and include books that may be helpful.

• Gary Taubes – Good Calories Bad Calories and Why we get fat and what to do about it. Perhaps two of the most important health books of the past 50 years.
  • Mark Sisson – The Primal Blueprint – Book and internet site.
  • Dr Westman and colleagues - New Atkins Diet for the New You – Book and internet site.
  • Pierre Dukan – The Dukan Diet – Book and internet site.
  • Loren Cordain – The Paleo Diet – Book and internet site.

Once there was a time when people thought you should not drink anything during a race...

Then they said you should drink to avoid the evils of dehydration....

Then someone (Noakes) proved that peps are drinking to much (over hydrating)....

Round and round the mulberry bush we go....

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are we still allowed to eat mulberry's? or did that bush get burnt as well <_<

:P

The bottom line of what he was saying is that we should get to know our own bodies and work out how much carbs we need and how much we can tolerate. From there its not rocket science.

This!

are we still allowed to eat mulberry's? or did that bush get burnt as well <_<

:P

Low Gi they are i believe?

A quick google revealed the following quote:

“A man will pass his summers in health, who will finish his luncheon with black mulberries.”

So we all followed him then, and we all will eventually follow him now. - just like sheep. Or just eat the darn sheep chop now!

Try read the whole article, particularly the bit at the bottom that says:

Finally the internet is full of information about the low carbohydrate revolution. Type in low carbohydrate or Paleo diet into Google and start searching. I list below a few (in no special order) and include books that may be helpful.

• Gary Taubes – Good Calories Bad Calories and Why we get fat and what to do about it. Perhaps two of the most important health books of the past 50 years.
  • Mark Sisson – The Primal Blueprint – Book and internet site.
  • Dr Westman and colleagues - New Atkins Diet for the New You – Book and internet site.
  • Pierre Dukan – The Dukan Diet – Book and internet site.
  • Loren Cordain – The Paleo Diet – Book and internet site.

Once there was a time when people thought you should not drink anything during a race...

Then they said you should drink to avoid the evils of dehydration....

Then someone (Noakes) proved that peps are drinking to much (over hydrating)....

I saw it. Still nowhere even near convinced. They are just people who devise diets that they think work, there are no massive sample tests among thousands of people researched and checked and accredited.

I could start my own diet and have it somewhere on Google, or write a book, shops are full of them, doesn't mean its good or they even work, ....same with those samples.

Lets say you need a heart transplant, will you google around some prof. who has a new and radical idea on the operation and recovery, totally untested and unproved by any medical facility and go to him because there were a few documents on Google which said it works, or will you go to a doc who uses the known medical procedure that is tested approved and accredited, and a recovery programme that is proven to be the best through clinical studies over time.?

I know where I would go.

Theres a very good reason why medical aid's and insurances will not pay for anything not medically approved, tested and accredited, they cannot be sure it works, when it has passed accreditation by various bodies and there are clinical proven studies (not by some guy in his office, or tested on himself, but accredited studies by respected universities, medical institutions etc) then they will approve its use. Discovery has since inception used all their formidable medical resources to research health and good nutrition and have published manuals telling members to try and eat a diet high in Complex Carbs and low in Saturated fats, they haven't changed their stand point. Guess they also dont want to change their paradigms either, and in the face of all that Google documentation, tsk, tsk, Stubborn buggers.!

Guess we just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, but mulberries are great though, I'll give you that. :D

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

My inlaws are out here visiting and told us about this artical (sic) in YOU magaizine where Prof Noakes said you dont (sic) need to carbo load (ok thats not exactly what he means but...) and I'm like thinking to myself...they must be confused...

WTFlip it seems like they were right and it's the good ole Prof whose confused....

Yeah...Sports Science is a good example of WIP (Work in bloddy Progress)

YOU MAGAZINE - The Housewife's Encyclopaedia. If it is printed in YOU it must be true.

Edited by "V"

I saw it. Still nowhere even near convinced. They are just people who devise diets that they think work, there are no massive sample tests among thousands of people researched and checked and accredited.

I could start my own diet and have it somewhere on Google, or write a book, shops are full of them, doesn't mean its good or they even work, ....same with those samples.

Lets say you need a heart transplant, will you google around some prof. who has a new and radical idea on the operation and recovery, totally untested and unproved by any medical facility and go to him because there were a few documents on Google which said it works, or will you go to a doc who uses the known medical procedure that is tested approved and accredited, and a recovery programme that is proven to be the best through clinical studies over time.?

I know where I would go.

Theres a very good reason why medical aid's and insurances will not pay for anything not medically approved, tested and accredited, they cannot be sure it works, when it has passed accreditation by various bodies and there are clinical proven studies (not by some guy in his office, or tested on himself, but accredited studies by respected universities, medical institutions etc) then they will approve its use. Discovery has since inception used all their formidable medical resources to research health and good nutrition and have published manuals telling members to try and eat a diet high in Complex Carbs and low in Saturated fats, they haven't changed their stand point. Guess they also dont want to change their paradigms either, and in the face of all that Google documentation, tsk, tsk, Stubborn buggers.!

Guess we just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, but mulberries are great though, I'll give you that. :D

Your claims as to what medical science has proven regarding the detrimental effects of dietary fats vs carbohydrates is inaccurate. Multiple medically sound trials have in fact showed that there is no evidence to suggest that a diet where fats make up a high percentage of total energy intake has any detrimental effect on coronary heart disease (meta-analysis by Mente et al : A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease. Arch Intern med 169:659, 2009). Trans fats should however be avoided as there is evidence that they impact negatively on health.

Don't believe everything Discovery tells you.

I know where I would go.

Very interesting that the National Board of Health in Sweden has recently allowed for low carbohydrate diets for Type 2 diabetics. There is a very strong following of low carb/high fats in Sweden, seemingly based on approved scientific methods and analysis.

I know where I would go.

Something like the 29er and 26er thing.

Some disagree and others agree.

My wife is a dietitian. She says that dietary info has a half life of 6 months...

Paradigm shifts.

Butter vs margarine.

Eggs and cholesterol.

Fruit juices and high fructose corn syrup

Calcium in milk vs calcium in pill form.

MSG's

Breast milk in HIV

To name but a very few.

It is only when you realise how little you know that you start to learn something (speaking for myself that is).

snip snip

Theres a very good reason why medical aid's and insurances will not pay for anything not medically approved, tested and accredited, they cannot be sure it works, when it has passed accreditation by various bodies and there are clinical proven studies (not by some guy in his office, or tested on himself, but accredited studies by respected universities, medical institutions etc) then they will approve its use. :D

Medical aids.

Are financial institutions. They would like to have the lions share in monthly payments. But would not like to give it back. Like for instance car insurance. Once you start dealing with them, you will see what I mean. Lots of it is marketing. Like Vitality. Money talks.

Let me give you an example.

If you get a stent in one of your coronaries you are supposed to take clopidogrel to prevent the foreign material from promoting clot formation. A bare metal stent for a shorter duration and drug eluting ones for up to a year. Ask any friend with a stent what a mission it can be to get a script for clopidogrel approved for a year.

Another example.

Both your mother and father had heart attacks at the age of 40ish.

Your cholesterol is 4.5. You are 35. With such a stong family history you should be on cholesterol lowering agents form an early age. Try to get a medical aid to pay for these drugs on chronic? Good luck. They will only be interested in paying if it is over 5.

(examples chosen due to the nature of the "high fat diet" conversation.)

In the end it boils down to what my mother told me. Vermy alles met 'n te- aan. Te veel, te min. Te vet, te maer ens. Die enigste te's wat goed is is tevrede en te voet(fiets)

Edited by Goodbadugly

• 2 months later...

I personally did atkins during 3rd year varsity (5 years ago), lost 25 kg and didnt really put much of that back on when returning to a "normal diet"

I then recently decided to rather go the Dukan route (high protein, lower in fat and carbs) Results are phenominal, its not about removing all carbs etc. Its about eating more whole foods and yes, removing the pastas, rice, bread etc that basically "bulk up" your normal diet.

I have found that I enjoy my food much more, am cooking interesting things, am eating a hell of a lot more vegetables and basically avoiding intake of sugar we arent normally aware of (or think of) I still indulge but now because my general diet is better, the effects of indulging are minimal.

I have discovered I am very carb resistant. I am now about 3 kg away from finally being off the overweight side of the BMI ever! Super stoked and I will eat this way permanently...

People are different, my body refuses to lose wight on a low fat high carb diet... and I am forever starving...

Certainly worked for Oscar Chalupsky - The man is a machine, and a freak of nature. :thumbup: