XCO getting out of reach of 'joe public'?

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'll add my 5c seeing as though money is changing hands here.... it was my first time attending a WC XCO race and I can happily conclude that it was thrilling to watch. We moved around the course, first sitting at the amphitheatre watching the log section shown above, then moved onto the drop off steps, spent a bit of time at the rock garden and then made our way to the finish to see Burry come in. It was brilliant to watch.

I was with guys who compete in the local Momentum Health XCO races here in KZN and we wanted to see these top guys take on the technical stuff. That is what it is all about. We don't want to watch them going around and around a flat smooth track. You want drama. If you wanted to ride that course afterwards there is always the chicken run option, or you could even hop off and walk it if the need arose. Hell, one of the SA guys in PMB did that everytime down the logs.

great comment - if i look back, the high I had after the xc was way higher than after the dh i(not that it wasnt also high!). Spectating the xc was exhilarating and where were we all congregated? at the two technical sections!

as for the youngsters vs ballies debate. My mates laaitjie does stuff way more technical than i would even consider - so the youngsters definitely think about things less

And I'll add my 5c seeing as though money is changing hands here.... it was my first time attending a WC XCO race and I can happily conclude that it was thrilling to watch. We moved around the course, first sitting at the amphitheatre watching the log section shown above, then moved onto the drop off steps, spent a bit of time at the rock garden and then made our way to the finish to see Burry come in. It was brilliant to watch.

I was with guys who compete in the local Momentum Health XCO races here in KZN and we wanted to see these top guys take on the technical stuff. That is what it is all about. We don't want to watch them going around and around a flat smooth track. You want drama. If you wanted to ride that course afterwards there is always the chicken run option, or you could even hop off and walk it if the need arose. Hell, one of the SA guys in PMB did that everytime down the logs.

Exactly right, Clint. We go to watch the cream of the crop do their stuff. They should have the skills to do whatever obstacles are in their way on the circuit. They are, as you say, the top guys. This is their bread & butter, what they get paid to do. They are on the trails day in & day out training and getting better & better.

Also, something that Cap & I have talked about before - the advent of the 29er has necessitated the increased technical difficulty of the tracks, due to the way they roll better over the obstacles. I'm not saying that the skill level of the riders has increased with the advent of the big wheel, just that the big wheel allows one to mount obstacles which may have previously been too challenging for the riders. As an analogy, think of off-roading (4x4) competitions. A jeep cherokee may well be reasonable ito its off road ability, but put the same driver in a fully-kitted 4x4 competition ready vehicle, and he'll be able to do so much more due to the better capabilities of the vehicle itself.

As far as technical aspects of the sport go, as long as the 9er (or 650b) is around, courses will continue to get more technically challenging in order to keep them "relevant" to the technology available.

(flame suit on)

Exactly right, Clint. We go to watch the cream of the crop do their stuff. They should have the skills to do whatever obstacles are in their way on the circuit. They are, as you say, the top guys. This is their bread & butter, what they get paid to do. They are on the trails day in & day out training and getting better & better.

Also, something that Cap & I have talked about before - the advent of the 29er has necessitated the increased technical difficulty of the tracks, due to the way they roll better over the obstacles. I'm not saying that the skill level of the riders has increased with the advent of the big wheel, just that the big wheel allows one to mount obstacles which may have previously been too challenging for the riders. As an analogy, think of off-roading (4x4) competitions. A jeep cherokee may well be reasonable ito its off road ability, but put the same driver in a fully-kitted 4x4 competition ready vehicle, and he'll be able to do so much more due to the better capabilities of the vehicle itself.

As far as technical aspects of the sport go, as long as the 9er (or 650b) is around, courses will continue to get more technically challenging in order to keep them "relevant" to the technology available.

(flame suit on)

Yes. +1

All I can add to that is that the courses will also improve not just due to tech advances, but also just pure human advances in training, skill, fitness, ... basic evolution... for example if my 10y.o grows up riding these technical tracks now already, plus he grows up watching these current clowns on their 29'ers/650's.. then by the time he get to race proper XCO events in 5-6 years time he will be fearless and fast.. as winning margins get smaller, they will have to introduce new aspects or it will get BORING...

Edited by TheV

I have improved a lot over the past few years, pretty much coming from the road.

Last year during the exams I hit tokai every day and just rode the ST, now I can ride it all and most of the dh's on my HT, but the world cup circuit is a whole different story.

Anyway, holidays tomorrow :thumbup: will be doing the mast twice every day and then some ST on the way down to brush up.

Jealous.... :w00t: enjoy!!!

Covie, pffft.

Seeing the pics of Emily carving the course has me intimidated though. Covie show us your legs, if it compares we might think of slowing down for you..

Will do once emily is done taking measurements.

Will do once emily is done taking measurements.

Oh, I don't want to know what that means.. :wacko:

Brick wall, brick wall, brick wall!

What? ARE you trying to say something in a Picture??? This specific piece is NOTHING... my 10y.o will drop off here 100x's in a row without any issues.

Go for a lap at Thaba with Wendell, you'd *** yourself... it makes this look like a pumptrack..

(I myself do ride thaba with my all-mountain bike....i would hate to go down here with a HT...which may not be a bad idea to get the XCO guys to use different bikes for different tracks)

Really ?

Nothing at Thaba anywhere near to even close to this.

Oh, I don't want to know what that means.. :wacko:

Brick wall, brick wall, brick wall!

Naked squirrels naked squirrels,, there now we all good.

Really ?

Nothing at Thaba anywhere near to even close to this.

Not looking for an argument.... I have not seen the XCO course in real life, I did watch the race and has seen 100's of pictures... in my mind, maybe it's because of my own pains when riding Thaba.

Have you been to Thaba lately on the full loop taking technical options, and I'm just asking for your opinion not chirping?

the way this discussion has been mainly focussed around the world championship course in PMB.

I am not sure what the OP's intension was to discuss specifically the world champs course, or XCO in general.

I think like The V sez, that if the lighties are already learning to ride the current xco courses at divisional and provincial level, then when they are of race snake age, the course builders will have to be very creative with making a challenging lap for them.

I definately agree that the courses should be graded (not with a big yellow earthmoving machine) it will then be less intimidating to joe public. Skills get you up to a point, and then strength and fitness has to take over.

Hey RocknRolla, my concern as the original OP was that all future course builders will now aspire to that level of course and hence make it very difficult to newcomers to enter the sport .... as discussed already, after seeing the recent provincial course many will probably not be back?

But ja it seems the consensus is that I take a cup of cement for breakfast and HTFU :whistling:

I like the fact that the XCO got more technical. I remember Nationals in Tokai in 2004 had a couple of huge drops in it. As school laaities we had to work up the courage to do it.

The PMB is supposed to cater for the pinnacle of riders, and someone with better skills or more confidence should be able to get an advantage.

Build the thec courses, add chicken runs and watch the progression. If I recall correctly the track at Willowbridge had different loops for sprogs and seniors?

With the Schools challenge XCO is the type of riding the kids are sharpening theit teeth on. You should see the cool short course track the kids built at Parel Valley high school. And I spoke to one of the boys on wednesday, when they are not training or going for group rides in Helderberg (very technical) they are dirt jumping. The increase in their skills from two years back to now that I have seen in the kid's riding is huge.

The kids are building their skills.

Maybe the grown ups can also work on our skills.

The advent of marathon riding has diluted the skillset across the MTB population, and the gulf is growing between the different riding groups.

And I don't know wether this has changed, but I remember the juniors and u23/elite groups being the biggest at the XC races, with vets and intermediate classes being small. So ask yourself, are you the Joe Average XCO rider? And are you going to let a tech course scare you off if there are chicken runs?

Hey RocknRolla, my concern as the original OP was that all future course builders will now aspire to that level of course and hence make it very difficult to newcomers to enter the sport .... as discussed already, after seeing the recent provincial course many will probably not be back?

But ja it seems the consensus is that I take a cup of cement for breakfast and HTFU :whistling:

I am in agreement.

PPC here we come.

Make mine a double :lol: