Fulcrum Vs Mavic Vs Easton Road Wheels

dee jay

Hi Hubbers

Seem to have caught a minor case of "upgrade-itis"... looking to move up from the standard Shimano R500's which came along with my ride when I bought it.

Did a bit of web research and would like to hear what your opinions are on the following wheelsets (all are in approximately the same price bracket):

• Fulcrum Racing 3
  • Mavic Ksyrium Elite
  • Easton EA 90 SL

Experiences with these? Have read that the Eastons had some problems with snapping spokes, although I tip the scales at just less than 60kg so am guessing that this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance. Keep those pedals turning!

Edited by dee jay

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will vote Mavic but order a freewheel body and spare spokes together with the wheelset then you won't wait if something packs up as Mavic support in SA is not always that quick and good

I will vote Mavic but order a freewheel body and spare spokes together with the wheelset then you won't wait if something packs up as Mavic support in SA is not always that quick and good

Valuable advice - thanks :thumbup: Something relative newbies like me don't often consider.

Edge design on this forum has aluminium clinchers for 3k and they super light. Under 1.4 kg's for a set.

I would do that rather.

Fulcrum are bullet proof wheels. Made by campagnolo. I had racing 3's and no issues at all. Not as light as the eastons though.

I would go with the Fulcrums. Am using Campag Eurus at the moment and am very happy with them

Fulcrum are bullet proof wheels. Made by campagnolo. I had racing 3's and no issues at all. Not as light as the eastons though.

The man knows what he is talking about :thumbup: , had the other two brands aswell before, but the Fulcrum is the more durable one of the lot.............by far !!

Here's an interesting addition to the menu - Dura Ace 7900 C24 wheelset...

Any thoughts/experience on these? Slightly lighter, but a touch more expensive than the others. Should be pretty much bombproof what with being built by the component gurus at Shimano...

Mavic's all the way, but maybe consider some deepsections,

There are quite a few advertised on the the hub

Blackspade R8999

Sentiinel R7250

Concept

Mavic's all the way, but maybe consider some deepsections,

There are quite a few advertised on the the hub

Blackspade R8999

Sentiinel R7250

Concept

Only problem with those deep section rims is PE and it's infamous wind... :whistling:

Edited by dee jay

I am an easton fan, rode 15000km on my curcit,s before upgrading to a set of ea90 slx,s. No problems at all with the curcuits, after a year (big km) on the easton ea90,s I have replaced the cassette, all the rear beaings and one snapped front spoke - all under warrenty by the importer. Love the wheels as they run true and smooth at a light weight.