How profitable is the Epic for Kevin Vermaak (really)?

I expect them to branch out into other sports and businesses.

Prob eventually get listed and he will retire a very wealthy man

In some ways reminds me a little of Felix Unite and his stable of event companys etc

Good money in sports marketing and event management.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much doubt he left the banking sector in the UK to run a non-profitable event. The man is smart. I reckon he needs to do another 8 day stage race somewhere else in SA, like in KZN perhaps :whistling:

It would be interesting to know what ABSA's contibution is being the title sponsor.

Well, instead of playing sponsor to has-been sports people, let them sponsor their top clients, wanting to ride. Something for saying thanks for splashing all your money on our bank fees.

But NOOOO, we had to watch ultra spinner Meyer and 'I made one successful drop kick' stransky on the prologue trying to get up a hill, while the leading men were setting the course alight.

he wouldnt be doing it if it wasnt profitable

work out what the tv rights are alone...........

IDC is also funding this event (first ever sporting event they fund)

I agree with the comment about rather taking that $ and spending it on a holiday on an island than a camping mtb trip - good one :)

Good money in sports marketing and event management.

Good careers as well

Long time ago ex gf used to guide for Felix on the Orange

Now MD of Chameleon

I very much doubt he left the banking sector in the UK to run a non-profitable event. The man is smart. I reckon he needs to do another 8 day stage race somewhere else in SA, like in KZN perhaps :whistling:

The banking sector in the UK has not been great for sometime but agreed he is making some good cash

The banking sector in the UK has not been great for sometime but agreed he is making some good cash

Yet they still make crazy money.

Just to clarify - i DO NOT resent him making money, and I am not complaining about it at all. I am happy if he is a very rich man, I am simply curios and have always found that kind of business interesting.

Remember he tried the cape Odyssey (multi day stage run) which did not work out due to lack of sponsors etc.

to correct someone's comment. the IDC Finance teh Cape Epic, they do not sponsor it. they simply provide him revolving credit to help with cashflow.

I also accept that he has year around bills to pay. I would actually guess that he is comfortable, but not making mega bucks. and if he is, then great. so long as he provides a world class event that is sold out (regardless of cost) then good to him.

Yet they still make crazy money.

Im a Financial Markets head hunter - dont always believe the hype

Ah ye age old "is Kevin a trillionare" question...

Tread said there is a rumour that he drives a Corvette or Veyron or ML63 or some *** but he only has "an old high mileage" Audi A3.

Personally I don't know and don't really care how rich the man is. All I know is thet R30K for a tenting mtb trip in Cape Town in March falls on the wrong side of my value scale. Me - I'd rather kick back at a 4 star resotr in Mauritius for that kinda moola.

As I've said before - value for money in stage racing is appalling - value for experience is incredible. All depends where you are on the income/value scale...

Anyone with R 30k can go to Mauritius, but not everyone with R30k can do the Epic.

Well, instead of playing sponsor to has-been sports people, let them sponsor their top clients, wanting to ride. Something for saying thanks for splashing all your money on our bank fees.

But NOOOO, we had to watch ultra spinner Meyer and 'I made one successful drop kick' stransky on the prologue trying to get up a hill, while the leading men were setting the course alight.

Okay now you on dodgy ground, Fester. That " one successful drop kick " is sacred and should be respected for all of time. Your bad.

I rate he has very few costs, everything is sponsored.

What does he have to pay for?

I rate he has very few costs, everything is sponsored.

What does he have to pay for?

That is not quite how it works.

There are costs and there is income of which sponsorships form a part

You balance the books and make sure you make a profit

Normal business practice

Because of the TV rights and publicity, most if not all sponsors pay a hefty sum to be associated. If you supply some or other goods or service you have to go the whole nine yards and a bit. But nothing wrong with that. If you want your brand displayed you have to pay. A very clever model. But you have to careful as well. I remember a few years ago how one of the sponsors threatened to pull out on the Wednesday (and that would have been a show-stopper) because at dinner they were not treated with the same respect as some of the other sponsors.