Steel 29'er

Cactus

Thanks very much for the offer but unfortunately I'm in Jozi . Who supplies them locally? or did you buy yours online?

I was lucky enough to buy it through Gumtree in CT ... this is my second on-one, the previous one being a 26'er and both are great bikes.

There is a local agent for on-one, but he has not been very good at replying to email from me or people I sent his way, so I would say look on the http://on-one.co.uk/ site and see what you like there.... landed (VAT, customs, transport and who knows what else) it was exactly the same price for a new frame from them as the local agent would have asked.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why steel??? and how much do you want to pay?

Black Voodoo ... don't tell anyone as this is a secret.

Steel is real!

It's just one of those things that you are either into or not

Have you ever ridden a bike made of Reynolds 853 steel? I never knew what MCR meant untill I rode one.

Unless the frame is from stainless steel, it is dumb mateial for a mtb frame. It will rust, unless you ride only on dry days, in places where there is no water ot mud. It may or may not have some mystical "ride feel" (I've done more than 20000km on steel road and mtbs) and the most noticeble to me was more side to side flex on the bb and fork on the road. I give the benefit of the doubt that some people may like the feel of more flex. More vetical flex would mean more comfort, but I have my doubts if anybody would notice that over the flex of fat mtb tyres, and 100mm of suspension travel. Biggest difference would be a "jy dink jys cooler as ekke" thing.

Thanks for all the input guys - going to be a work in progress.....finances permitting. You ask "Why Steel" i answer "Why not".....because I can....I've got an itch....then my LBS asked SS or gears, rigid or .......a work in progress.....

Let the build begin......watch this space for progress.....

As per Eldron, Cotic Solaris/Soul should definitely be on your list. www.cotic.co.za. You're assured of brilliant service too and they're up the road in Centurion, so you can actually go have a look and more than likely get a test ride in. Speak to Matt.

and.... you get it in orange. I just love my orange Soul SS! :wub:

Edited by HEman

i want to get one of those lovely orange ones meself, what sort of tyre clearance do they have as i want to put some 2.4s on it to further soften the ride wich will make it a 60x559

and.... you get it in orange. I just love my orange Soul SS! :wub:

i want to get one of those lovely orange ones meself, what sort of tyre clearance do they have as i want to put some 2.4s on it to further soften the ride wich will make it a 60x559

I'm running UST Maxxis 2.1 at the rear and a 2.25 on the front

chainstay clearance at either side about 12mm, and seatstay about 18mm

1st choice:Cotic Solaris! (853)

2nd Chocie: Singular Swift (4130)

3rd choice: Inbred 29er (4130)

4th: Ragley - and only cause it's a bit pricier with the Ti frame.

My 2c

whooaa that should just about fit then might be better with a 2.3...!

ordering tommorow!

I'm running UST Maxxis 2.1 at the rear and a 2.25 on the front

chainstay clearance at either side about 12mm, and seatstay about 18mm

Unless the frame is from stainless steel, it is dumb mateial for a mtb frame. It will rust, unless you ride only on dry days, in places where there is no water ot mud. It may or may not have some mystical "ride feel" (I've done more than 20000km on steel road and mtbs) and the most noticeble to me was more side to side flex on the bb and fork on the road. I give the benefit of the doubt that some people may like the feel of more flex. More vetical flex would mean more comfort, but I have my doubts if anybody would notice that over the flex of fat mtb tyres, and 100mm of suspension travel. Biggest difference would be a "jy dink jys cooler as ekke" thing.

We have ridden steel BMX bikes for years through all sorts of weather with no problems